Confessions

I confess…. I don’t like driving. I mean, I REALLY don’t like driving. I started driving when I was 14 and received my driver’s license (not a driver’s permit , a license… with Mom’s handicap, she was able to request her kids to get their license early on) when I was 15; I used to get heart palpitations when I started up the car.

That doesn’t happen any more of course, but I will admit to being a conservative driver. Sure, I might go 5 miles over the limit, here and there, but that’s it.

You can put me anywhere in this little suburb that we live and if I’ve never been on the street, I still won’t get lost. I know this area very well. Driving around here, I don’t mind so much.

But driving in New Orleans? Forget it. I LOVE the city! I write about it, to the point that I created the ABC’s Challenge. It’s not just all the one-way streets and all the street signs every which way… like Greg said, “That’s what you have a GPS for.” Nor is it the congestion of the streets (lights at every block at some points) and an Interstate where the ramps get a little too tight for comfort… it’s the danger zones. What streets are more safe than others and so forth.

They should make a GPS with crime rates before going down a street. Lol.

So, yes, I do play tourists in New Orleans, but I confess…. I don’t drive there. (I’m very fortunate that my husband does a lot of work in the city and knows the area well.)

Comments

Kavi said…
Ah, the US with its entries and exits... would need an adept driver with special skills indeed !

I can well understand your dislike for driving ! But you havent seen India.. ! :)
Anonymous said…
i hate driving too and im also a very conservative driver. one of the reasons i eventually want to get an apartment right in the city is so i dont have to drive anymore, i can walk or take public transportation everywhere.
I will stay off the roads in downtown New Orleans then! (Never drive in London, either.)
CB said…
You sound like me - a little bit geographically challenged - Ha ha!!
Beverly Herman said…
I love to drive in the city and across country. I figure a wrong turn is just another adventure. A chance to discover the unexpected in a familiar city and or new town.
I agree with Kavi, my friend. no driver can say [s]he hates driving unless [s]he drives in India.

Vivek
Priscilla said…
I wish they'd do the same thing for Richmond, VA. There are neighborhoods where you want a bulletproof car. You get stared at like you walked into an all yellow party in black lol.
Natalie said…
I'm not a fan of driving in cities either...and luckily my husband does most of it too!
Anonymous said…
Im with Beverly... adventure...

And be GLAD there is such thing as a car for us to get around!
I'm a terrible driver. I don't care for it either, but I'm the only one in the house old enough to do it. I swear I get lost leaving my own driveway and I live on a cul-de-sac, so there is only one way to go!
Glynis Jolly said…
I'm with you. I really don't like driving. It's too nerve racking for me.
Driving freaks me out, too. It's probably the most dangerous thing you can do!