NBWM16 Puna Continued

Puna continued:

After the black sand beach, we went to the black cliffs. I loved watching the water.





I caught the water on video going into the lava tube under the cliffs and the water shooting back out of the tube. (you can see the video at the end of this post)

Next stop of the tour was the Macadamia nut farm. The owners of the farm had a nice sitting area where we sampled all sorts of macadamia nuts – honey, chocolate, dark chocolate, etc. I liked the ones that Greg cracked open – just natural macadamia.

Ema and the other tour guides cooked the meals and it was all very good.

I didn’t participate in the next stop – the lagoon. This sign explains it best. Mom and R&R went into the lagoon, but I think if Mom was able to read the sign, she might have reconsidered.



The tour ended with going to the garden. It was nice, but I guess it just can’t compare to the lava rocks. Lol. At least, not for me. Still was nice though.


It was neat to walk on the lava rocks and see the plume where the live lava was rolling into the sea. Because it was also this night that the ship sailed by the lava flow. We took pictures on deck and also from our balcony. The captain would talk about the lava with the overhead intercom and then suddenly say, "Wow, did you see that?!" I've read where people don't see much of the lava at night time, but we had a good show. Greg used our honeymoon camera to take pictures and the camera kept the shutter open for 20 seconds, so the pictures are blurry (especially since we're on a ship and it was moving), but you can get the feel of the lava and how it would burst.






Click here for previous post: Secrets of Puna

Click here for next Hawaii post: Parasailing in Paradise - Kona, Hawaii

Comments

CB said…
I have been enjoying all of your pictures this morning! The Big Island is my favorite. I think it is the most authentic of "Old Hawaii".
When my husband and I went we walked across the Lava field and down to the Ocean where the Lava was entering the sea. There were signs all over that we were doing this at our own risk because there was the possiblility of actually falling through the crust if we stepped wrong as live lava was flowing beneath our feet.
Well I didn't fall through the crust but I did fall...and broke my camera! Dang! But that lava is certainly a site to behold! I love your pictures they are beautiful!!
Serene said…
Wow, you caught some really great shots!
Unknown said…
Wow! I am loving your trip! :)