Run Around

So, the insurance company sent the check - woo hoo.

As typical, since there's a mortgage on the home, it was made out to me and the mortgage company. Because of the amount of the claim, I was told to mail the check to the loss department in Georgia so the mortgage company could review the claim and endorse the back of the check.

I asked for the overnight address, because certainly I wasn't going to mail the check in the regular mail!

When I questioned how the check would be returned, the representative informed me that for the check FedEx'd back, I'd have to send a prepaid envelope along with the insurance paperwork/check AND if it was being returned to my work address, I'd have to include a letter with my authorization to send it to the work address.

Fine by me. I want the check to be trackable and delivered as soon as possible. If I have to sign for receipt of a package, it's best to have it delivered to the office because I'll be there to sign for it. Hence, the reason for me requesting it being returned to the office.


That same afternoon, I gathered all the information, put it in the FedEx box and shipped it out. The next day, I received an email that FedEx delivered it to the mortgage company.

Two days later, Greg said, "Call So-and-So, they have a question about the check."

I called the mortgage representative and she said, "In order to send this to an address other than your home, we need a letter of authorization from you."

I replied, "I DID send a letter of authorization. It was the cover letter and the authorization was even UNDERLINED."

She said, "Oh, then it must have been misplaced. I don't see it with the paperwork."

I replied, "Misplaced? It was STAPLED to the check and insurance report. The authorization letter was on top!"

She continued, "Then, you must not have signed it."

I disagreed, "The letter WAS signed. Wait a moment. I scanned the letter prior to mailing it to you, for my own records. I'm going to pull it up. Yes, even on the SCAN it is SIGNED."

After she gave me the fax number to send it to her, I faxed the letter and called her back and left a message on her recorder, "My computer verified that the fax was received by your office. Please check your fax for the letter."

I told Greg about the conversation and he laughed, saying, "She didn't know who she was talking to!"

She wasn't rude, mind you. Someone had probably gone through the paperwork and didn't give her everything in the package. I do find it odd that a stapled letter was detached. Anyway, I'll give her the benefit of the doubt, but I won't be made to feel as if I didn't follow the instructions given!

If nothing else, I'm organized.

Now, just how long will it take them to find the envelope and mail it back?

Comments

*Akilah Sakai* said…
If nothing else, you rock!

I've had the same kind of issues and run around as well. It's stressing! It's also why I have to take people's names as soon as I call any service center.
septembermom said…
Those kind of back and forth issues can be so frustrating. My head starts to spin sometimes when I hear the off the wall answers to my basic questions.
Rush said…
whoo hoo..i heard and i was all happy...read the rest of the post, and well, one word "furiating"...it gets on when u have done everything at ur end, the other person screws up and blames back at ya.
I hope the cheque reaches you safe and deposit it riteaway, then write a letter to the department....till then, dont pick a fight...please no...u want the cheque back, dont u?
Dr. Wifey said…
geez. hope you get the check soon
Peggy said…
Good for you!

I once had the IRS tell me I owed more money on my taxes (including penalties) because I hadn't declared some interest. I checked my records: The form they referred to was the mortgage interest I'd PAID, not interest from a bank I'd EARNED. I sent them a (mostly polite) letter telling them to check their records. They sent me back a form letter telling me the matter had been resolved.
Joanna Jenkins said…
That is A LOT of work! But it pays to be organized. I hope you have the check back VERy soon.
xo
Kavi said…
Thats some level of staying organised ! Some level indeed.

You sent a letter and kept a scanned copy of it..! Now, this is a different orbit ! Totally !

:)
Carma Sez said…
I like it how when others are in the wrong, they like to turn it around and make it appear that you were the one in error. Just trying to save face, I suppose.
Jen's Farmily said…
I do what you do, scan and save copies of EVERYTHING so that I have PROOF.

Hopefully that check comes soon!!
Brandy said…
That's why I make copies of EVERYTHING. School forms, forms for the doctor, rebates - you name it, I copy it.

I hope it gets resolved soon!
Holly said…
Disorganization and incompetence are two things about people that grate on my nerves.

Unfortunately, there seem to be a lot of them in the insurance business - at least with medical insurance companies that I deal with all the time. Bleh.

They'll bug the crap out of you to get their money, but are slooooowwww in sending yours.
I HATE dealing with issues like this. Good for you for keeping such detailed records. For the love of heaven, I hope you get your money soon!
Anonymous said…
Oh dear! what an ordeal.

I'm glad you had records to PROVE what you did. I'm sure I would have forgotten...I have a terrible memory.

Hope everything works out for you!!