Hurricane Ike

My grandfather on Dad's side ~ his name was Ike. He passed away when I was a little girl. Dad found some pictures that I treasure, of PawPaw holding Rob and me.


Dad's running joke about the hurricane is, "Hurricane Ike is coming here to give me the whooping that I deserve!"


We're keeping a close eye, but praying we don't need to leave. If it stays this track, we aren't going to evacuate. This last time was too hard on Greg. It took us 2 hours to get to Hammond when we left for Gustav. By the time we arrived at the hotel, Greg didn't have feeling in his left leg!


After calling Sally (one of Greg's friends who is an RN) and explaining how he felt, she advised that if his leg became swollen or it progressed, to bring him to the emergency room at the Hammond hospital. She thought it might be a pinched nerve from his back though and that seems to be the case. Even at home now, he can't sit upright for too long before it starts affecting his leg.


That being said ~ hopefully we can ride out Hurricane Ike in the comfort of home. Here's the latest track:

Comments

Kellan said…
I'm so worried that Ike is going to come right at us and we might have flooding here in TX - we often have flooding and it is not good when it happens at my house. We called my grandfather Paw-Paw too and my brother's name is also Rob - hee hee!

Have a good day - Kellan
Aleta said…
Oh Kellan.. I'm so sorry! I wouldn't wish a hurricane on anyone. I wish we could find some way to temper down the affects of such devastation. With all the technological advances ~ we still can't find a way to protect the Gulf of Mexico...
GypsiAdventure said…
Yes, we are all watching it roar into the gulf...keeping our fingers crossed for this one!
~K
Laurel said…
My paternal grandfather was also PawPaw!
Maybe Ike will fall apart after it leaves Cuba.
A New Yorker said…
These hurricanes are terrible. My parents deal with this every year living in S. Florida. I hope you are ok.
Aleta said…
Hi Kel ~ Looks like it’s going more towards the Texas/Mexico boarder. Saying prayers for those in the path….

Hi Mommy ~ It does look like Ike took a beating downgraded to a Cat 1. You would think after Gustav that the waters would be stirred up and cooled off even that another hurricane soon following wouldn’t get to a Cat 3, but they are predicting it for Ike.

Hi Lauren ~ Thank you. Yes, they are terrible and sometimes… I wonder about living here. But it’s home, you know? I guess the same way that people feel in California or those along Tornado alley. Mother Nature is everywhere. We’re lucky to call any place home.