Spirit Story - Chapter 10

Chapter 10


Mara spent the following morning trying not to solve a problem she had no legitimate means of solving. This was more difficult than expected. The envelope sat at home in the top drawer of her desk. She had left it there deliberately, bringing it to work would have served no purpose.


She wasn’t going to analyze it. Therefore it didn’t need to be anywhere near the laboratory. This reasoning was flawless. It was also extremely annoying.


At 9:17, Daniel found her staring at an instrument she wasn’t using.


“You’re thinking about your experiment.”


Mara looked at him.


“No.”


“The cat?”


“No.”


“The palm reader?”


“No.”


“Your missing spirit guide?”


“No.”


“The other two spirit guides?”


“No.”


“The number forty—”


“Daniel.”


He smiled.


“There she is.”


Mara returned to the report on her screen. Daniel remained beside her. She waited. He remained.


“Do you need something?”


“No.”


“Then why are you standing there?”


“I enjoy our time together.”


“I don’t.”


“I know.”


Mara typed three lines. Deleted one. Typed it again.


Daniel said, “Did you know we have to send the groundwater samples out?”


Mara looked up. “What groundwater samples?”


“The pesticide panel from Environmental. Their instrument is down.”


“Since when?”


“Yesterday.”


“Who’s running them?”


“Commercial lab in Baton Rouge, I think.”


Mara stared at him.


Daniel’s expression changed. “What?”


“Nothing.”


“Oh, no.”


“What?”


“You just had a thought.”


“I have them frequently.”


“Not like that.”


“Like what?”


“Your eyes did something.”


“My eyes did not do something.”


“They did.”


Mara turned back to her monitor. Commercial laboratory. Of course. The thought was so obvious she was irritated she hadn’t had it herself. There were laboratories that accepted environmental and material samples from private clients, not every test required institutional access. She could pay for analysis.


Properly. Documented. No state resources. No questionable sample entering their laboratory. No ethical problem.


Daniel leaned closer. “What are you thinking?”


“I’m working.”


“You’re smiling.”


“I am not.”


“You are.”


“Go away.”


He walked backward toward his bench. “I’m going to find out eventually.”


“No, you aren’t.”


“I always do.”


That, unfortunately, was often true.



Mara spent her lunch break researching commercial laboratories.


She did not search:


test mysterious dirt from possibly haunted silver object


She searched:


private particulate identification laboratory


Then:


soil characterization private client


Then:


unknown particulate analysis small sample


She found several possibilities, most were designed for industrial clients. One required a minimum sample quantity she didn’t have. Another offered materials characterization at a price that made Mara briefly reconsider how badly she wanted to know. A third accepted small samples but required clients to specify the requested analysis. That was fair.


Laboratories were not oracles.


Tell me what this is was rarely a useful analytical question.


By 12:42, Mara had a short list of possibilities and a much longer list of reasons the result might not mean anything. The material could predate her ownership of the case. It could have entered the hinge during decades of storage. It could have come from the cardboard box. Her mother’s house. Her grandmother’s house. Great-Grandmother Ruth’s house. The object’s provenance was a disaster.


Any environmental material associated with it was therefore almost impossible to contextualize. Mara closed the browser. Testing it would satisfy curiosity; it would not establish anything supernatural. That distinction mattered.


Her phone buzzed.


Claire.


CLAIRE: Have you apologized to your vinaigrette yet?


Mara stared.


MARA: For what?


CLAIRE: Calling it an object for three days.


MARA: We do not know that it is a vinaigrette.


CLAIRE: I believe in it.


MARA: That’s not identification.


CLAIRE: You don’t know its journey.


Mara put the phone down.


Another message arrived.


CLAIRE: Maybe it identifies as a vinaigrette.


Mara laughed aloud.


Daniel looked over from across the room.


“Claire?”


Mara ignored him.



She did not send the particulate material anywhere.


Not yet.


That surprised her. Instead, after work, Mara drove to Claire’s apartment with the silver case sealed inside a small plastic container.


Claire opened the door and looked at it.


“You brought her.”


“It.”


“Rude.”


“You wanted to see it.”


“I’ve seen pictures.”


“You’ve seen photographs. That’s not the same thing.”


Claire stepped aside.


“You’re letting me touch it?”


“No.”


“I washed my hands.”


“No.”


“You’re really taking the fun out of haunted antiques.”


“It isn’t haunted.”


“Then why can’t I touch it?”


“Because I don’t know where your hands have been.”


Claire stared at her.


“You work in a laboratory and somehow make that sound deeply insulting.”


Mara put the container on the table. Claire crouched over it.


“Oh.”


“What?”


“It’s prettier than I thought.”


Mara looked. She had stopped seeing it as pretty. It had become a collection of characteristics.


Dimensions.

Hinge.

Clasp.

Botanical pattern.

Unknown mark.

Unknown residue.


Claire still saw an object somebody had once chosen to decorate with tiny flowers.


Mara found herself liking that.


“I found someone,” Claire said.


Mara looked at her.


“No.”


“You don’t even know what I’m going to say.”


“You found someone.”


“Yes.”


“No.”


“She works with the historical society.”


“Claire.”


“She knows old jewelry and women’s accessories.”


“No.”


“She said she’d look at it for free.”


“How did you describe it?”


Claire paused.


Mara’s eyes narrowed.


“How did you describe it?”


“A small silver case.”


“Anything else?”


“No.”


“Did you mention Evelyn?”


“No.”


“The woman?”


“No.”


“The waist?”


“No.”


“Dirt?”


“No.”


“Spirit guides?”


Claire looked offended.


“I am capable of subtlety.”


“You took me to a palm reader without telling me.”


“That was surprise enrichment.”


Mara closed her eyes.


“When?”


“Saturday.”


Mara opened them.


“You already made an appointment.”


“I reserved an opportunity.”


“Without asking me.”


“You can say no.”


Mara looked at the little case.


Then at Claire.


“What is her name?”


Claire smiled.



Mrs. Helen Broussard was seventy-two years old, wore red-framed glasses, and had the unnerving habit of answering questions before Mara finished asking them. She met them Saturday morning in a back room of the parish historical society. The room smelled like paper, furniture polish and old air-conditioning.


Mara liked it immediately. Helen did not reach for the silver case when Mara placed it on the table. That earned her points. Instead she leaned over it.


“May I?”


“Yes.”


Helen picked it up carefully. Turned it over. Examined the hinge. Then she said, “Not a vinaigrette.”


Claire made a wounded sound. Mara looked at her.


“Three days.”


“I did extensive research.”


Helen smiled.


“Then you know what it isn’t.”


Mara laughed.


Claire pointed at her.


“You two are going to get along.”


Helen retrieved a magnifier. “People call all sorts of little silver cases vinaigrettes because vinaigrettes are interesting.”


“What do you think it is?” Mara asked.


“I don’t know yet.”


Mara liked her even more.


Helen examined the clasp.


“Possibly part of a chatelaine set.”


Claire sat forward.


Mara did not.


“What makes you say that?”


“Size. Construction. And this.”


Helen pointed near one end.


Mara leaned closer. The small loop was so integrated into the decoration that she had treated it as ornamental.


“For attachment?”


“Likely.”


“To a chain?”


“Possibly.”


Helen opened a reference book from the shelf behind her. “Women carried an astonishing number of things from their waists at various points. Keys, watches, scissors, needle cases, scent containers, notebooks, pencils, spectacles.”


“Entire junk drawers,” Mara said.


Helen looked at Mara.


“Essentially.”


Mara smiled.


Helen turned several pages.


“Chatelaines could be elaborate, but simpler systems existed too. This may have hung from one.”


“May have,” Mara repeated.


“Yes.”


“You can’t tell?”


“Not from this alone.”


Good.


Helen did not manufacture certainty.


Mara respected that.


“What period?”


Helen tilted the case toward the light.


“Late nineteenth century would be my first thought. Possibly a little earlier or later.”


“How much earlier?”


Helen smiled.


“You really are a scientist.”


Claire said, “It’s exhausting.”


Mara ignored her.


Helen examined the tiny mark near the hinge.


“This interests me more.”


Mara leaned forward.


“The stamp?”


“Possibly.”


“You recognize it?”


“Not yet.”


Helen retrieved another magnifier.


For nearly a minute she said nothing.


Then:


“Hm.”


Claire looked at Mara.


Mara refused to react to hm.


“What?” Claire finally asked.


Helen turned the case.


“This may not be a maker’s mark.”


“What else would it be?” Mara asked.


“Workshop mark. Retailer’s stamp. Assay mark, depending on origin. Inventory mark. Repairer’s mark.”


“So we still don’t know.”


“No.”


Claire groaned.


Helen laughed.


“History is mostly learning how much you don’t know.”


Mara said, “Finally, a sensible discipline.”


Helen looked at her over the red glasses.


“Oh, don’t get comfortable. We also argue about it for decades.”


She photographed the mark.


“Leave me the photographs. Not the object.”


Mara had been preparing to object.


Helen smiled.


“I assumed.”


“I’d prefer to retain physical custody.”


“Of course you would.”


Claire whispered, “You found your people.”



Helen called four days later. Mara was at work. She stepped into the hallway.


“Hello?”


“I found your mark.”


Mara stopped walking.


“You identified it?”


“I think so.”


“Think?”


“That’s the word responsible people use.”


Mara smiled.


“I’m listening.”


Helen explained.


The mark was not a maker’s mark. It appeared to be associated with a small regional workshop that produced and repaired personal silver items during the latter half of the nineteenth century, not a famous silversmith, not valuable, not rare.


The workshop had operated for roughly thirty years.


“Where?” Mara asked.


Helen told her.


Mara frowned.


“That’s less than two hours from here.”


“Yes.”


“Are you certain?”


“No.”


Mara smiled again.


“How confident?”


“Enough that I’d look there next.”


“Do records survive?”


“Some.”


“Where?”


“The parish archive has a small collection. There are also digitized newspapers.”


Mara’s pulse quickened. This was different, not supernatural. Research.


A location.

A date range.

Testable information.


“Thank you.”


“One more thing.”


Mara waited.


“Don’t fall in love with your hypothesis.”


“I haven’t formed one.”


“Good.”


Helen paused.


“Keep it that way as long as you can.”



Claire fell in love with the hypothesis immediately.


“We’re going.”


“No.”


“Mara.”


“No.”


“It’s two hours.”


“Less.”


Claire pointed at her.


“You checked.”


“I looked at the route.”


“You checked.”


“That does not constitute consent.”


“We could go Saturday.”


“I have plans.”


“What plans?”


“Laundry.”


“You would choose laundry over historical mystery?”


“Yes.”


“That’s deeply sad.”


“It needs doing.”


Claire leaned across Mara’s kitchen table.


“What if there are records?”


“There probably are.”


“What if we find who owned it?”


“We probably won’t.”


“What if we find the woman?”


Mara looked at her. Claire stopped. There it was. The leap.


Silver case.

Workshop.

Region.

Woman.


Mara shook her head.


“No.”


“What?”


“We’re already building a person from an object.”


“I just said what if.”


“And that’s exactly how bad investigations happen.”


Claire sat back.


Mara softened.


“We know the case may have been produced or repaired in that region. That’s all.”


“Fine.”


“We don’t know who owned it.”


“Fine.”


“We don’t know whether the owner was a woman.”


Claire looked at her.


“It’s a tiny floral silver case that hung from a lady’s waist.”


“Probably.”


Claire threw up her hands.


Mara smiled.


“Probably matters.”


“You’re impossible.”


“Frequently.”


Claire pointed toward Mara’s laptop.


“So we’re not searching?”


Mara looked at it.


Then at Claire.


“We can search the workshop.”


Claire’s face lit up.


“The workshop.”


“Not mysterious women.”


“Of course.”


“Not spirit guides.”


“Never.”


“Not scars.”


Claire paused half a beat too long.


“Claire.”


“I said never.”



They found nothing useful for the first hour. Mara considered this healthy. The workshop appeared in advertisements.


Repairs undertaken.

Silver bought and sold.

Watch chains repaired.

Clasp replacement.

Engraving.

Small personal articles made to order.


Claire became fascinated by an advertisement offering spectacles and mourning jewelry. Mara kept them focused. Then they found an index to a digitized collection of local newspapers. Mara searched the workshop name. Too many results. She narrowed by date, then by town.


A notice about a fire.

An advertisement.

A partnership dissolved.

A theft.


Nothing connected to the case.


“Maybe we’re done,” Mara said.


Claire looked horrified.


“We’ve been searching ninety minutes.”


“Exactly.”


“That is not enough time to solve a nineteenth-century mystery.”


“We don’t have a nineteenth-century mystery.”


“You’re no fun.”


Mara opened another result. A scanned newspaper page appeared. The print was uneven. She enlarged it, an estate notice.


Not relevant.

Next.


A social column.

Next.


A report of an accident at a mill. Mara skimmed it and stopped. Read it again.


“Claire.”


Claire looked over.


“What?”


Mara didn’t answer. The article was short. A woman had been injured during an accident involving a horse and wagon, not killed. Injured.


Mara read the date. She read the woman’s name. It meant nothing to her, then the description. The newspaper noted that the woman had suffered cuts to the face. One wound, apparently severe enough to require stitching, extended—


Mara leaned closer. Across the left brow.


Claire whispered, “Oh.”


“No.”


Mara’s voice came out sharper than intended.


Claire looked at her.


Mara scrolled back to the top.


“It’s an injury.”


“Yes.”


“People injured their faces.”


“Yes.”


“Eyebrow scars are not rare.”


“No.”


“Nothing says she owned the case.”


“No.”


“Nothing says she had pale eyes.”


Claire didn’t answer.


“Nothing says dark hair.”


Still nothing.


“Nothing connects her to us.”


Claire said quietly, “Okay.”


Mara looked at the woman’s name again. Then at the date. Then the location. She opened a new browser tab. Searched the woman’s name, a genealogy result. She ignored it. Another newspaper archive. She searched there.


The same accident appeared in a different paper three days later. Mara read it. Same woman. Same event. Different wording. Injury above the eye. She opened another source.


Nothing.

Another.

A marriage notice six years earlier.

No physical description.


Another.

Church event.

Nothing.


Mara’s heartbeat had become annoyingly noticeable. Claire sat quietly beside her. Mara searched the woman’s name with the workshop.


Nothing.

With silver.


Nothing.

With the town.


Too much.


She sat back. “This proves nothing.”


Claire nodded.


Mara looked at her. “You agree?”


“I’ve learned.”


“No, you haven’t.”


“No.”


Mara returned to the first article.


Across the left brow.


Evelyn had touched her own eyebrow. Small. It cuts through the brow.


Mara closed the laptop.


Claire jumped.


“What are you doing?”


“Stopping.”


“Why?”


“Because now we’re searching for confirmation.”


Claire went quiet. Mara stood. She walked into the kitchen and opened the refrigerator. Closed it. She wasn’t hungry. She returned. Claire had not touched the laptop.


“Thank you.”


“For what?”


“Not searching while I was gone.”


“I considered it.”


“I know.”


Mara picked up her phone.


“Who are you calling?”


“Not Evelyn.”


Claire’s expression changed.


Mara selected her number.


Claire’s phone rang on the table between them.


Claire stared at it.


Then at Mara.


“You’re calling me.”


“Yes.”


“You’re sitting four feet away.”


“I know.”


“Mara, have you finally snapped?”


“Answer it.”


Claire answered.


“Hello?”


Mara looked directly at her.


“I need you to answer some questions.”


Claire slowly stopped smiling.


“Okay.”


“Before the reading, had you ever given Evelyn my full name?”


“No.”


“Think before you answer.”


“I am.”


“Did you make the appointment in my name?”


“No. Mine.”


“Did you tell her what I did for work?”


“Not before we got there.”


Mara remembered Claire mentioning the laboratory in the room, that pathway was known.


“Did you send her a photograph of me?”


“No.”


“Did you give her my phone number?”


“No.”


“Email?”


“No.”


“Social media account?”


“No.”


“Did you tell her anything about my family?”


“No.”


“Did you know about the silver case?”


“No.”


“Had you ever seen it?”


“No.”


“Did you know anyone in my family had lived near that town?”


“I don’t know that anyone did.”


Neither did Mara.


“Did you tell Evelyn anything about scars?”


“No.”


“Eyebrows?”


Claire stared at her.


“No.”


“Pale eyes?”


“No.”


“Dark hair?”


“No.”


“Mara.”


“Wait.”


She wrote the answers down.


Claire watched her.


“What are you doing?”


“Checking contamination.”


“You already asked me most of this.”


“Not systematically.”


Claire lowered the phone.


“Mara.”


“Keep it up.”


Claire raised it again.


“This is absurd.”


“I know.”


“Why are we talking on phones?”


“Because I want a record of the sequence.”


“That doesn’t record the call.”


Mara stopped. Claire’s mouth twitched.


“Right.”


Mara ended the call.


“Good point.”


For one second neither spoke.


Then Claire laughed. Mara did too. It broke something in the room. Not the tension, just enough of it. Claire wiped beneath one eye.


“Oh my God.”


“Shut up.”


“You called me from across the table.”


“I had a methodology problem.”


“You had a nervous breakdown with excellent documentation.”


“I am not having a nervous breakdown.”


“I know.”


Claire’s laughter faded. She looked at the closed laptop.


“Mara.”


“What?”


“What did you find?”


Mara didn’t answer immediately. She opened the laptop again and turned it toward Claire. The article remained on the screen. Mara pointed to the woman’s name.


“I found a person.”


Claire leaned closer.


Mara corrected herself.


“No.”


She pointed to the article.


“I found a record of a person.”


Claire looked at her.


Mara continued.


“A woman who lived in the same region where Helen believes the case was made or repaired.”


“Okay.”


“She was injured in 1889.”


Claire read.


Mara watched her reach the sentence.


Claire’s finger stopped.


“Her eyebrow.”


“Yes.”


“Left.”


“Yes.”


“Evelyn said—”


“I know what Evelyn said.”


Claire sat back.


Neither spoke.


Finally Claire asked, “What does it mean?”


Mara looked at the screen.


“I don’t know.”


Claire waited. Mara read the article once more, then the second account. Two independent historical sources. Same injury. Same woman. Same region.


The silver case did not connect to her. The dirt did not connect to her. The dress did not connect to her. Her hair color was unknown. Her eye color was unknown. There was no photograph. There was no evidence she had ever owned anything made by that workshop. There were gaps everywhere.


Mara could drive a truck through the hypothesis.


And yet. She could no longer dismiss the scar as something Evelyn had inferred from Mara’s clothing, occupation, posture, age, or hands.


She could not explain it to Claire. She could not explain it through the silver case because neither of them knew the case existed when Evelyn described the woman.


Chance always remained. Mara stared at the article. For the first time since Claire had dragged her through Evelyn’s door, Mara was not trying to explain why something didn’t count. She was trying to determine whether it did.


Claire spoke quietly.


“Are you okay?”


Mara nodded.


“Yes.”


And she was.


That was the strangest part. She wasn’t frightened. She wasn’t even sure she believed anything had happened.


But somewhere between a silver case, an obscure workshop, and a newspaper printed more than a century before she was born, Mara had encountered a result she could not immediately discard.


She looked at Claire.


“Don’t contact Evelyn.”


Claire blinked.


“I wasn’t going to.”


“Don’t tell her about the case.”


“I won’t.”


“The workshop.”


“Okay.”


“The newspaper.”


“Okay.”


“The scar.”


Claire understood.


Her expression changed.


“You want to see if she gives us something else.”


“No.”


Mara looked back at the article.


“I want to stop contaminating the experiment.”


Claire stared at her for a moment.


Then smiled.


Not teasingly this time.


“Mara.”


“What?”


“You’re testing the ghost.”


Mara looked at her.


“Guide.”


Silence.

Mara closed her eyes.

Claire’s laughter filled the kitchen.

Comments