Arkansas Vacation
Arkansas trip
Some vacations are measured by miles, others are measured by moments. When we packed the car and headed toward Arkansas, I knew we’d see new places. What I didn’t realize was how many little memories would come home with us.
We were once again, the “traveling Grimball’s” with my parents, TJ, Gregory and me. (Greg was unable to go with us due to his work.) It reminded me of when I was a little girl on family vacations. We drove everywhere, stopping at random places, which allowed us to really see our country.
The destination was to visit with Aunt Mimi and Uncle Al and to see their new home, in Fort Smith, Arkansas. My mom was especially looking forward to seeing her sister; it’s been years since either had visited the other.
The River Walk
Our first stop was Natchitoches, Louisiana. Gregory and I wandered along the brick streets and riverfront. It was one of those places that invites you to slow your pace, look at the clouds reflecting in the water and enjoy the flowers in bloom. We looked out over the Cane River, admired the historic buildings, and simply enjoyed walking together.
As children get older, those quiet walks become gifts. There isn’t always a destination. Sometimes it’s just a mother and son sharing whatever happens to come up in conversation.
I did smile when I saw the street sign in the historic district, “Rue Percy and Poete.” For someone who paints, writes and notices little details, that’s almost too perfect. Don’t be surprised if you see that street sign at the beginning of one of my novellas (posted on my blog).
“We turned onto Rue Percey where Poete crossed the street, and for a moment it felt like we’d wandered into a story instead of a town...”
Three Sticks…and the Disappearing Act
One of our favorite roadside stops was the Three Sticks Monument overlooking the Ouachita National Forest, along the Talimena Scenic Drive in southeastern Oklahoma. It’s one of those landmarks that you stopped at, because it was mysterious.
I had to look up the reason for the monument; I was just too curious. It was “dedicated in the early 1960’s to recognize the leaders who helped develop and conserve this part of the Ouachita Mountains, particularly with the creation of scenic roads. The three tall poles symbolize the region’s three great natural resources: Land, Wood, Water”
Gregory and I got out of the car to walk the path to see the Three Sticks. We took pictures. In some of the photos you can see why the monument was placed there. It’s an observation point on Kiamichi Mountain, with beautiful views across the Ouachita Mountains.
While Gregory and I walked up to explore, my dad drove the car around to meet us at the other side.
Gregory looked back just in time to see the car disappear.
“Mom…”
“I think Opa left us.”
For a brief moment he was completely convinced we’d been stranded on top of the mountain. I replied, “I’m sure they are still there.” But a little part of me wondered too, as I didn’t see the car either.
Thankfully, Opa reappeared exactly where he said he would. We both laughed with relief.
A Home Filled with Stories
Walking up to Aunt Mimi and Uncle Al’s front door, the first thing that caught my eye was the garden. Color seemed to greet me before the door opened. Flowers bloomed in every direction and young magnolia trees made me feel at home.
My relatives took care in choosing this house and they found a perfect match to their wants. It’s a welcoming home with large family rooms, inviting people to gather, tell stories and play card games. The spacious kitchen was where Chef Uncle Al put his culinary skills to use (credit to Chef Aunt Mimi for her spaghetti and meat sauce and fruit salad) and the bedrooms were spread out from the “east wing” to the “west wing” offering privacy for guests spending the night.
Every wall had a story to tell, from many paintings I’ve never seen that were painted by Nana (my grandmother), paintings by Mimi and even another one by Didi. It reminded me of how creativity has been passed down from generation to generation to generation.
My favorite room was the enclosed patio. I loved to watch the birds visit, especially the hummingbirds as they zipped by the feeders with incredible speed. I found myself creating a watercolor painting in the patio and enjoying nature (yet staying in an air conditioned room).
Card games around the table
A morning with my aunt, uncle, cousin and her husband, and their dogs. (A quick note about their dogs: Italian Greyhounds: Watching them move was like watching living artwork—graceful, gentle, and unbelievably athletic. It’s amazing how every breed has its own personality.)
And every family has its traditions...
Ours apparently involves learning new card games, Tic and Golfing. My cousin, Melissa, and her husband, Eric, were very helpful along with my aunt and uncle, in teaching us the rules.
There were moments when someone had to explain the rules again…
…and again…
…and maybe one more time.
There was laughter, (when someone realized they discarded a wild card and again when the person who could have picked up the wild card didn’t do so). The competition was friendly and the games were fun to learn. Even though Gregory and I were both new to the game, we helped each other and joked around with card options. The best part of card games has never really been about winning.. it was the laughter around the table.
The Freedom Truck
One unexpected highlight was seeing the Freedom Truck celebrating America’s 250th birthday. Inside were exhibits about our nation’s history and the people who helped shape it.
Gregory has always loved history, so watching him move from one display to another, reading various signs and asking questions, made the visit especially meaningful.
My dad, on the other hand, thought that the most interesting part of the visit was when we drove off and saw three girls holding up signs, “white washed history” in protest. He had colorful words and spoke about how people don’t appreciate the lives that were lost for our country and freedom.
The United States Marshals Museum
We also spent time exploring the United States Marshals Museum. It’s made up of ordinary people who made extraordinary decisions.
Walking through the exhibits together sparked conversations that probably wouldn’t have happened anywhere else.
Uncle Al and the Guitar
Gregory has always loved music, so watching Uncle Al sit down with him for an impromptu guitar lesson made me smile.
There is something special about seeing knowledge passed from one generation to another. It wasn’t a formal lesson. It was simply time shared between family, one chord at a time.
Two Boys, Two Drawings
One afternoon Gregory and TJ each sat down to make a drawing for Aunt Mimi.
Watching them quietly start their creations side by side made this artist-mom smile. Different personalities, different artistic styles. Every drawing tells a little story. I hope they always keep making them.
Ashton and Vanessa’s Visit
Melissa’s youngest son and his newly wed wife came by to visit one evening. I saw him and said, “Oh, I haven’t seen you since you were this high.” (holding out my mind to my waste height). He looked at me and said, “I don’t remember you at all.” Oh, that made me feel old and I laughed.
It was a treat to meet the adult Ashton and his wife, Vanessa. They were eager to share about their new home and all the renovations they were doing.
Ashton was so tall and then I remembered that his older brother is even taller! My mom has shared stories about family, but it’s wonderful to see relatives I haven’t seen in so long and catch up.
Home
Eventually every trip ends. The suitcases come inside. The laundry gets started. The pictures find their way onto our phones.
I’m grateful for the happy memories to treasure, the family moments we shared and that my mom was able to get in some good quality face to face visit time with her younger sister.
And a bonus - my cousins, Holly and Erin, were bringing a sculpture home that Erin created of her dad. I shared with Holly about us going to see our aunt and uncle’s house in Arkansas. Because I mentioned this to Holly, she and her sister made plans to visit our relatives and their new home. I was sad that we missed each other by a day in Arkansas, but I’m happy they were able to visit with Aunt Mimi and Uncle Al.
Here’s a few pictures, but if you want to see more, Click Here.




















Comments