Letter to my son

Dear Son,

 

Six years.  I remember the first day of Kindergarten at Airline Park Advanced Academy Elementary School.  We were both so nervous.  You went from a small pre-k school, St. Augustine’s, that was loving and welcoming to both students and parents... to a large elementary school.  I wasn’t used to dropping you off at the front door and letting you go.  You gave me a big hug and waved as you walked in.  Six years at APAAS.  You were so much smaller than me, but by the end of your adventure there, you were on eye level.  Okay, okay, maybe just a smidge taller.  Just a Smidge, I won’t give any more than that.  

 

11 years old and you have grown so much during your time at APAAS.  Such important years and so many experiences, from learning to navigate a large campus, understanding the importance of personal responsibility with regards to home work, adjusting your behavior with other students who come from a variety of upbringing and how to value a wonderful education.  You are so fortunate to have attended APAAS!  From the caring staff, who were always kind, yet firm, to the teachers who helped the kids grow in the wealth of knowledge and enforcing the importance of respect to the guiding principal, who not only knew the students well, but also the parents and even grandparents.  APAAS wasn’t just a school; it was a family.

 

You tackled the dreaded Covid year with gusto and matured during that time.  When Oma says she has a great deal of respect for your teacher, it’s a high compliment, because she’s kinda picky about that and doesn’t give out praise to fellow teachers lightly.  She had nothing but good things to say during the Covid year for your education.  It was a difficult year, but you still grew and thrived.  It was also the year that I was going through cancer surgeries and recovery.  My young son, during that time, you helped so much at home, including many house chores that my body wouldn’t allow me to do.  You didn’t shy away from offering your help.  All of this, you carried within you.  I could see the worry in your eyes, but you never let it leave your lips.  I ended up having three surgeries from breast cancer in three years and throughout it, you were amazing.

 

APAAS has brought teacher’s praise, offering the words, “I wish I could clone Gregory.” and “He has an old soul.  He is the most mature child in this grade level I have ever had.”  Do I think you’re perfect?  Heck no and I wouldn’t want you to be either. Did you make perfect grades?  No, sometimes you did less than stellar on a test, but you always worked hard.  You set a goal for yourself each year.  You wanted straight A’s on your report card, every 9 weeks, every year.  And son.... when you put your mind to do something, you get it done.  Because you came home with all A’s, every year for every nine weeks.  

 

You learned something, which took me to learn in college..... that it’s easier to keep an A than it is to work up to an A.  You had to work that much harder to bring up a grade by the end of the nine weeks if you messed up on a test.  You did the calculations and knew that you’d have to work harder.  Such a lesson at such a young age!  You were determined!  I hope you can carry that same determination into Middle and High school, but not beat yourself up if you don’t keep those same grades.  It’s going to be an adjustment and learning curve.

 

Before you left APAAS, you had another learning curve, how to deal with bullies.  Well, you have been dealing with the bullies for a while, but we worked first on your response to them... “Ignore them.”  “Walk away.”  “Stay away from them.”  When one of the bullies walked on your calves when you knelt down to get something out of your backpack and it happened repeatedly, we told you “don’t kneel down.”  It was always your behavior we tried to adjust.  

 

When you still had bully issues, we brought it to the teachers and asked for you to be moved to a different location in the classroom.  That helped, for a short time.  When a child slapped you in the face and hit you in the chest, I brought it to the parent.  My bad.  Never should have done that.  I was told that you were overly sensitive, that you were a liar and that IF that really happened I should have reported it.  When the teacher told me it would be a permanent record for the child, I opted not to report it.  That was a big mom fail. I’m sorry about that.

 

Because the bully behavior didn’t stop, from threats to pushing, to ugly words.  But the stopping point, the fury momma bear in me, happened when you were surrounded by 6 kids.  They sought you out and hurt you.  I won’t name names, but I know who the kids are and I know what I’ll need to do in the future.  It happened during a school festival.  Fortunately one of the teachers acted quickly, which I’m grateful for.  We met with the school counselor before leaving that day and she explained I could fill out a bully report.  This time I did not fail you.  This time the bully report was filed.

 

When it came to the incident, I asked you to sit at the computer and fill out the form, in  your own words.  I left the room and you wrote it.  The principal requested an interview with you.  She handled it well, firm and to the point.  She asked questions and allowed you time to answer.  She explained the process and what would happen.  At the end of the interview she said, “I’m not asking that everyone has to be friends, but I do expect everyone to be kind.”  She thanked you for how you conducted yourself, as we explained how you changed your behavior.  She was appreciative that your behavior in response to being bullied, did not aggravate the situation and make it worse.  She ended it with, “I will make sure the teachers watch the students in question.  I want you to know, Gregory, that you are not alone.  We are here for you.  You’re not going through this alone.”  I had a to blink back the tears.  This is what my mom’s heart needed to hear.  I needed those words as much as you did.

 

I don’t know what happened at that point, but I can say the bullying stopped.  You were able to end the year at APAAS on so many high notes.  I was worried the bullies had taken the joy out of your wonderful time there, but they didn’t.  You continued to work hard and continued with the A’s, continued to be a good student and helpful.  This experience could have brought you down or created anger issues, but it didn’t.  You worked through it and realized there’s a system in place and sometimes, we need to trust that system.  I’m truly grateful for the school that you attended.  How they handled this situation speaks highly of the principal and faculty.

 

Now to some special high notes of 5th grade and how the school year and time at APAAS ended... you were awarded the Jefferson Dollars for Scholars for a paid week of summer camp.  You had several to choose from.  The award was for $250 and you picked a NASA camp.  The cost was for $350.  When I asked the Jefferson Dollars for Scholars how we should go about paying the difference, they said the NASA camp offered to decrease the price so you would go for free!  Such a blessing and gift!  And such an honor.  You were invited to attend an awards ceremony with the others students in various schools receiving the award too.  You are one of only two students from APAAS receiving the scholarship.  

 

The other high note was the last day of school, the awards ceremony.  Each child was called up to receive their awards from Eagle Pride to Honor Roll to Superintendent Awards and special fun awards from the teachers... but the one award that is coveted by the kids each year and only given out at the end of the year ... You were called up to receive the Citizenship Award.  Son, we are so proud of you.  This brought tears to my eyes.  Every year, you have clapped and congratulated your school mates for winning this honor.  This time it was for you!  What a high note to end the year, to end your time at Airline Park Academy!  Your classmates, parents and teachers offered, “Congratulations!” when they saw you.  I was smiling just seeing you get the recognition and kindness.  

 

When everyone was starting to leave you asked me, “Is it okay if we walk on the campus?  One last time.”  How soothing it was to see your former teachers, give them hugs, take pictures, talk about memories... it was special.  That perfect moment in time.

 

From awards to the beach, literally on the same day.  This is how we welcomed your summer break.  A trip to a condo at the Alabama Gulf Shores beach front property with Oma, Opa, Rob, Roda and TJ.  You and TJ made a cool sand art sculpture of a turtle, had fun in the waves and went on a fishing trip.  You said the fish was okay, but to me the red fish was delicious (and what a pretty fish!)...

 

This summer was filled with swimming at Oma and Opa’s house with TJ, art classes, writing and math classes, clay classes, karate, virtual reality games, lessons on the stock market, celebration of the years at APAAS, learning about planting, piano/voice/guitar lessons and recitals for piano and voice, NASA camp (which you absolutely loved) and will be ending with virtual math lessons from Haynes math teachers to make sure you are prepared for next year’s advanced academy.  (Yes, it was a run on sentence!)

 

Continue to be the sweet, helpful young man that you are, don’t ever let anyone take that away from your heart.  It’s truly who you are and where you are the happiest.  Continue to look for the joy in life, because it will make life more enjoyable.  I’m wishing you an exceptional education at Haynes and to new friendships and strengthening of current friendships.  I’m eager to see how you adapt to middle school and what it’s like through your eyes.  Shine your brightest, son!  

 

Love Always,

Mom


(Below are various pictures and following the pictures are YouTube links you can choose to view by clicking on them.)



























 











Comments