Letter to my son

Dear Son,

You learn by cadence.  I realized this while teaching you how to write our home address.  "Avenue" is not an easy word to write, especially at your age.  I'm expecting you to be able to write it without having a sample, by memory only.  I had to find a way to help you remember the spelling.  I said the letters to you, "AVE" (pause) "NUE".  You picked up on the rhythm.  We repeated it several times.  You can write it well now.

You almost know Mommy's cell phone number by heart and how to spell Mommy's name.  Repetitive writing has improved your skills and your confidence.  Most days you write your Upper and Lower case alphabet.  You still have problems with lower case b, d, j, p.  Practice, practice, practice.  You get frustrated at times, but you make it through and I'm so proud of you!

Teaching is a creative art form.  Oma knows this and does it beautifully.  Mommy is learning through teaching you.  You had a difficult time with the sight word "are."  You wanted to sound it out, but it's not one that you can blend sounds and get the appropriate sound.

Mommy told you to write a capital R, a lower case r and the word "are."  You did this.  Then we said them out loud.  I shared, "they all sound the same."  We said them out loud again.  It clicked.   You know the word now.  But as the Reading Instructor from this summer program advised, "Kids will forget sight words.  It's natural.  Just keep showing them the sight words until it's second nature.  Repetition is the key."

Oma introduced a fun way to build vocabulary words.  Oma set up a magnetic board. Oma either has starting sounds or ending sounds on the board with letters that can be changed to form new words.  For example, "at" is the first word.  Then along the side, she has letters such as "c" and "b", etc. for "cat", "bat"...  Oma bought a cool Spiderman notebook for you.  You write the first word and then add the new letters and write each new word.  Every day we read the words in your vocabulary book.  I love this activity and you like the idea that you are creating new words by adding letters.  And... you love the rhythms.

Tonight we read a new book.  Mommy didn't read it first.  It was a "First Reader" book and I figured we could face it together.  It's about a space alien who wants to be friends with some children, but the children are afraid of the alien.  You wanted me to read it, but I said, "You're going to help me."  You're response was, "Oh, Mommy, why do I have to always do that?"  I replied, "Because it's important to read and reading is fun!  Let's find out what this book is about."  You did a great job.  Of course there were words you haven't learned, some you needed to sound out and others that Mommy had to tell you.  But over all, you're doing great!  And you enjoyed the story.

You love making up stories too.  Clear out of the blue, you'll walk up and say, "I have a story to tell you."  I love when you say that!  One time you shared this story:

"I was a boy who had a stamp.  It made smiley faces.  I loved that stamp.  I stamped everything with it, paper and my arms and walls.  Everything.  But then it broke.  I was upset.  But someone gave me a different stamp!  I was happy until... I stamped and it was a SAD face stamp.  I didn't like it.  So I went to the store and bought myself a new smiley face stamp!"  I asked if you heard the story from somewhere and you said, "No, I just made it up."

You show creativity in art too.  One afternoon Mommy was cleaning and you wanted to work on a project.  Most of the time I will have something to set up and work with you on.  I stopped myself from jumping into a new project.  Instead, I handed a blank sheet of paper to you and said, "Color whatever you want.  Anything you want."  Your eyes went saucer wide, "Anything?"  Yes, anything.

The dishes were put away and the dish washer loaded again when you were eager to share your "Toy Factory" picture.  I was in shock!   Outside the toy factory, on either side, you drew a crayon and inside, the toys included a crayon, a motorbike and a monster.  Later you added the words, "Gregory Toy Factory."  I put your age on the back of the paper and put it up in your room above the shelves of toys.  Another time you made a chocolate factory.  You even drew a "lever" that had to be pushed down to move the chocolate in the factory, because you didn't want people to have to work in the factory and at the end of the factory, the chocolate was wrapped up in a gift box!

You get picky about your drawings.  I took a video of you after you finished coloring a self portrait.  You said it was horrible, because at one point, your hand slipped and there was a brown line going across your forehead in the picture.  The rest of it was great.  I did have to remind you that you do have eyebrows.  Your eyebrows are so very light.  Mommy brought her mirror over and you took a closer look.  You finally agreed that you did have eyebrows and you did need eyebrows in your picture.

Doing indoor crafts is the key to beat the heat of the summer.  However, we will take you to indoor activities, because being home can be "boring."  Fortunately the Dinosaur exhibit came to town.  You loved the moving dinosaurs, the baby dinosaur puppet and you especially loved the face painting.  There was a poster before going to the artists.  The poster had many pictures to choose from - blue dinosaurs, green ones, red ones... did you go with those?  NO, you went with the scary one - the dinosaur skull!  Son, I didn't think you could get whiter than you already are!  (People have commented on just how white your skin is.  You go swimming, tball, playgrounds - you just don't tan much.... at all.)

So, this skull art - you were scared when you looked at yourself in the mirror right after the artist painted your face.  Then you loved it and started to make faces at yourself in the mirror... testing how you looked.  From that point on, when you saw another child with face painting, total stranger, you and the other child would get into dinosaur stomping and roaring acts.  It was an understood thing that transcended the need to know each other.  I loved seeing this interaction.  Why can't we all paint faces and treat each other with joy and common understanding?

From painted faces to painting on canvas.  You went to your second Kid's Painting class.  Daniel and his mommy, Cassy, came too.  It was cute to see the two of you painting together.  You sat on the left and Daniel was on the right.  I later realized that this was perfect.  You are a lefty and paint with your left hand, so you didn't bump your hand or arm into Daniel and vice-versa.  You picked a shark to paint and Daniel picked an alligator.  Two boys!

You do have determination and your own style.  The "sample" that you wanted to paint was a shark in the water and the top of the water was green.  "No, I don't want green.  Only blue."  You told me, "This is my painting and I only want blue water."  Okay.  You did a good portion of outlining the shark, but I did help as well.  Mommy attempted to help you do the shark's eye... but you told me, "It's all wrong!"  I tried to argue with you... you helped remind me that this is your paintings.  I did as you instructed.  I did one part of it to fix my "mistake" and then you finished it off. I have to admit... it looked better your way.  Although Mommy did help, you did the bulk (a good 90 percent) of the painting.  I was surprised when you wanted to do the detail of the shark's teeth.  I showed you how to make a triangle for one tooth and you took over after that.

This is the first painting where you wanted to paint your initials by yourself.  I held my breath.  I wanted to help you, but I wanted to see if you could do it by yourself.  I get nervous when I paint MY name on a painting... I was prepared to have to help you paint over your initials and try over again.  Not necessary.  You wrote "GO" - it is easy to read and it looked good.  Your shark painting is hanging in the "Man's Cave."  We have a new artist in the family, on both sides.

You take well to instructions, but you want to do things your way too.  I worry how this will affect you in school.  You need to be able to follow rules.  Yet I don't want to deter or stifle your creativity either.

School this year is going well.  You told Mommy and Oma that you really like your teachers.  Mommy and Daddy went to parent orientation night while you had a sleep over with Oma and Opa.  Your teachers shared the rules and the composition books.  You wrote your name and a drew a picture of yourself.  On Wednesdays you get homework sent home, to be completed by Monday.  During the school day, each child is partnered up with a different child, then the two children go to various stations in the classroom (such as the reading station, math & science station, etc.).  A timer is set and the children alternate 2-3 stations a day.  Assignments are given at each station, so it's not just "play" time.

At the parent orientation night, there was a table filled with sheets of paper.  The pages described a child.  "I am a boy."  "I have blue eyes."  This is where we KNEW it was you.  "My favorite food is JUNK food."  Yep, that's you.  Though I try my hardest to get you to eat well.  Ugh.  Your friend Daniel wrote that his favorite food was Broccoli soup - so impressed!

When I asked you recently what you liked most about school, you said, "Reading."  YES!

Maybe one day you can help Daddy read the instructions for the Home Depot Kids Class.  Mommy marks the calendar for the class, because I don't want you to miss out on this.  I was thrilled to find out about the classes - they are fun and free!  We have seen school friends there too, including Jacob and Daniel.

It's a great play date and it's also great to meet the people in the neighborhood.  This past class, there was a father and son sitting next to you.  The father shared that he was just in the States after living in Italy for 2 years with his family.  He works for the Navy.  He was at Home Depot with his 4 1/2 year old son, who knows both English and Italian.  His wife works for St. Martin, where his son goes to school this year... but because of the cost, they are moving him to a different school next year.

Another time we met a lady with her six year old daughter who likes dancing and loves the classes.. but because of dancing, misses out on most of the Home Depot classes.

One Mom was there with her son and her husband.  They were from India.  She spoke of the St. Charles school district with high regard.  We talked about the various schools in the area.

All parents agree that this is a wonderful program, where the children make something, get hands on practice with tools and socialize with other children of various ages and backgrounds.  What a blessing!

Another blessing is that you are allowed in the Cherub's Choir.  Technically the starting age is 5 years old, but after a lesson, Mrs. Carol said she could work with you.  Mommy found out about Cherub's Choir from St. Augustine church.  Mrs. Carol starts the class before even opening the door.... "Every child is given a secret pass code.  The code is different for each child and it's different each time."  She clapped her hands "in code aka rhythm" and the child had to repeat.  I didn't know if you'd get it, but no problem there!

The class was about rhythm, tone and memory.  You picked up quickly and you were eager to participate... and you were a squirmy, little boy in the chair.  And yes, you had already gone to the bathroom.  I was worried you would last the entire 30 minutes, but you did so.  At one point, Mrs. Carol used a xylophone and sang, "Do Ray Me."  Mommy and Daddy sang this to you a while ago.... you remembered.... and you sang the notes back to Mrs. Carol in tune.  I pray that singing and music become a love for you.  It's a joy to begin this journey through the church.

Speaking of journeys... you are inspiring Mommy to take a journey.  Father AJ called Mommy on Saturday and invited Mommy to be a Sunday School Teacher.  This would be the first year for you to attend Sunday School.  I didn't know anything about the program and explained my hesitation to Father AJ.  He asked me to come to the class and see what I thought about it.  Mrs. Catherine was the Sunday School Leader.  She was very reassuring and explained the program through example.  Oma came with us and said she would be a teacher too.  We signed up together and will teach your age group the second Sunday of each month.

The first Sunday will begin in the Chapel, before the second mass begins.  Mrs. Catherine began the school with the Our Father Prayer... and you KNEW it.  Mrs. Catherine explained how God has rules and that one of God's rules is Love Thy Neighbor.  She asked the group of children, "What is Love?  Can someone tell me what love is?"  You raised your hand, "Love is when you know someone and you care about that person."  Mrs. Catherine went on to explain how we don't hurt our neighbors.  We help our neighbors in need, such as sending items to those suffering from Hurricane Harvey.  After the lesson, Mrs.  Catherine asked if any of the children could help her sing the song, "This Little Light of Mine."  You jumped at the chance and stood in the front to sing with her, doing the hand motions and all.  Your confidence and joy made my heart overflow.

From the chapel, we went to the Sunday School room, where your wrote your name with a crayon.  Then you answered the question, "What am I thankful to God for"  Your answer... which you wrote by yourself:  "All".  Such as simple word.. Such a big meaning.  Sunday School will be a blessing.  I have the feeling that the children will teach me as much as I teach them.

Today the weather was warmer.... but a few days ago - it was wonderfully cool.  Daddy said, "It feels like fall!"  Oh, may the cold fronts keep coming down.  We had play dates with Daniel and his family, enjoying a meal and toys.  And we had a play date with Nathan and his Mommy at the park.  You boys just loving walking and picking flowers.  You were so happy to see Nathan again!  Nathan isn't going to St. Augustine this year, so you missed time with him.  Play dates with friends is so important.  I sure hope that there are birthday invitations to receive this year.  Last year, you went to a bunch of birthday parties and established friendships.

You're excited about Mommy's birthday.  It's not until October, right before Halloween.  You are the reason Mommy is having a birthday party.  You insisted that Mommy had to have a "theme" party (like how we always plan for you)... and you said, "You should have a Halloween birthday party."  And that was how it began.  I'm hoping for a costume party.  You did tell me, "Mommy, I have bad news.  I have to warm you about the bad news.  When it's your birthday, I turn into a werewolf!  But I will be a nice werewolf."

No, we don't have a werewolf costume for you, so I don't know where this is coming from.  But thank you, son, for the warning and for not wanting to be a mean werewolf.  I'm hoping to have an afternoon party and then go to a trunk or treat with kids and parents - heck, if we're going to be dressed up, might as well go trick or treating, right?

Thank you for inspiring me, sweet son.  Your light shines brightly.

Love Always,
Mommy




Comments

Laura said…
I love reading about your sweet son and your daily life with him. Children are such a joy! Thanks for sharing. Time to get back to my studies!