Letter to my son

Dear Son,

You worked hard and played hard this summer.  Various instructors gave you very nice compliments. After the art camp, the instructor said you pay a lot of attention to detail and mentioned how serious you are when you paint.

This Saturday coming is the last day of the Reading Program.  I'm going to miss it.  The instructor, Mrs. Butler, is doing a wonderful job with engaging the children.  We arrived early one Saturday, as did another parent.  The other parent said to the instructor, "I'm just amazed at how quickly you learned the kids' names."  Mrs. Butler replied, "It's easy with some children.  The children, such as Gregory, who have big personalities, I learned quickly."

An example of your "big personality" during the reading program is when Mrs. Butler asked the students to say the new site word as loud as they can - you don't disappoint.  Or when she said to say the new site word like a bear - you have your hands out like claws and growl the word.

Mommy and Oma took our time to walk around the school, Atonement Lutheran, which is hosting the reading program through Loyola/UNO.  The buildings are well maintained, the classrooms are a good size and peering through the windows, the classrooms are decorated in an inviting manner.  It's a school on our list to interview this coming school year.  This school year you are attending St. Augustine's for Pre-K4.  However, in the beginning of the year, I need to interview schools for Kindergarten on up.

This week you are taking Handwriting classes every day.  I have to start off by saying I made a change in the plans.  I registered you for this course at the beginning of the summer.  You still didn't know, at the end of May, if you were left or right hand dominant.  Your handwriting needed a lot of work.  A LOT.  I signed you up for the pre-k class for handwriting, which focused on hand strengthening exercises and writing all capital letters.

However.... Oma and Mommy have worked with on your handwriting every day this summer.  Through coloring, using markers and crayons, you strengthened your hands and determined you are left-handed.  This, in turn, greatly improved your handwriting while we showed you how to do the letters.  You write so well now.... that Mommy and Oma re-evaluated the Handwriting course.

Mommy wrote to the director of the course and asked if there was any way to move you into the kindergarten level - writing in upper and lower cases, etc.  Here is a snippet of the letter I wrote to the director, "He is writing his name very well now, both in upper and lower case letters.  After consideration of his abilities that have blossomed this summer, I believe my son would benefit more from the kindergarten course that you offer for handwriting."  

The director explained how children your age often have a difficult time with the curves of the lower case letters.  I thought you were ready for it, given your hard work during the summer.  The director advised that she would accommodate my request and reassigned you.

The first day of the handwriting course, which is one hour a day, Monday through Friday... Oma overheard two parents talking.  (Oma and Opa bring you to the course.)  The two parents mentioned the ages of their children - 6 years old.  Those kids are in your class, for the kindergarten level.  You will be 4 1/2 on August 18th.  For a child, that's a big age difference for the same skills to learn.

When Oma picked you up, she asked the instructor if you were in the appropriate course with your skill set.  The instructor replied, "Definitely.  He is definitely placed in the proper course at the kindergarten level.  He is doing very well.  The only difficulty he had was writing the letter V and the letter W."

I'm looking forward to what you will learn with the handwriting course and I'm so glad that we re-evaluated your abilities for writing.  It really goes to prove just how much you learned this summer.

We keep summer fun too, my sweet son.  Mommy brought you to a kid's painting class.  Oh my goodness though... Mommy was ready to leave after 15 minutes of waiting for the canvas.  There had to be at least 50 kids there.  The two employees were swamped.  They said, "It's never like this."  I guess the heat and this being the last kid painting program before school - it brought the kids out in droves.  As I said, I was ready to leave.  You said, "No, Mommy, I don't want to go."  So we waited.  The canvas was given to us.  Then we waited some more.  And the paint was given to us.

You dived right into the painting.  However, you were a little frustrated with Mommy for mixing colors together.  I explained that part of the fun of painting is mixing colors until you get the right combination.  You painted a soccer ball.  You did the background first.  I painted just a little line going around the ball, so you wouldn't paint on the ball.  You did the rest of the background.  Then I put a little black dot on the parts of the ball that should be black.  I did one section and showed you how I outlined it first and then you filled it in.  After that, you did all of the other ones by yourself, including outlining the sections first. You surprised me and yes... you were very serious while painting!

I posted pictures online of you painting.  Both of your grandmothers were thrilled.  Granny used to paint a lot and offered us paints and an easel for you to work on.  Oma said the pictures reminded her of Nana (Oma's mommy) when she painted.  It's in your blood in leaps and bounds; I hope to cultivate this beautiful gift.

Today is the last day of July.  I can't believe school starts next month.  I hope your love of learning continues to grow and that you enjoy your school year.  We received a packet for next year - more forms for Mommy to fill out.  Your teacher's name for next year is Mrs. Kim.  (Not to be confused with Aunt Kim :)

Mommy also signed you up for Cherub Choir with the church.  Cherubs start at the age of 5 on up.  Mommy asked when you could participate and Mrs. Carol said to bring you to practice.  Practice begins in September.  Mrs. Carol described it:  "We will be continuing to learn how to read music, playing games that emphasize rhythm, and playing instruments - in other words having fun."

You are dancing to music more and more now.  Appreciation of music is important.  As much as I would love to teach you how to play the piano, I used to have the rule of no lessons until a child is at least 8 years old.  I might have to bend that rule for you, but it would be better to start off with someone else teaching you.  I'm praying the Cherub Choir will be a lot of fun.

Mommy and Daddy work with you on numbers as well.  Simple stuff, "If I have five apples and I eat three, how many do I have left?"  I honestly didn't think you'd get the correct answer, but you did.  However, if we question this too much with you, the answers get sloppy.

For Math, Oma has fun venn diagrams for you to figure out.  It's a great way to learn comparison, contrast and problem solving.

One thing we need to work with you on is telling time - old school clocks, not the digital we have around the house.  Although, you surprised us yesterday when you said, "Oh no, Mommy, we are going to be late for painting!"  It was 12:30 and you told me so.  That was the time we needed to leave, so no worries about being late.

You are swimming every day, weather permitting.  Considering the heat of the summer, it's a good way to cool off and have a healthy activity for you too.  Mommy also has a play date set up for you soon.  I'm hoping to set up a few more play dates before school starts.  Daddy's birthday is in a couple of days.  You made a sweet gift for Daddy.

You are a sweet boy and you want to make people happy.  This is a personality trait we recognized early on.  That said, we are trying to also teach you how to be appreciative.  I have to remind myself that you are only 4 1/2, not even...  but it's important to learn to be appreciative, so that you don't develop the nasty habit of entitlement.  You don't have temper tantrums, but I won't put up with the ugly looks or the demands, all which can lead to entitlement as an adult.  We want you to be a good person and understand the value of such.  Yes, it's too much for a young child, but I believe the foundation is there and we'll continue to work on it.

You are learning quickly and eager to do so.  I remember when I read a mommy blog and the mom wrote "There are milestones everyone knows about, such as the first step, the first word.  But most people don't realize the other milestones until it happens, such as when your child writes his or her name for the first time and there's a look of pride in the child's eyes."  I know that feeling.  I see it in your eyes.  I can't wait for you to develop a love of reading, writing, painting, sports, everything and anything that can open the world for you - new experiences, new places to see, new skills to learn.  I love watching you learn... things that we take for granted as adults.. it's truly amazing to see you grow.

Love Always,
Mommy


Comments