My Parents' 50th Wedding Anniversary Cake

I was a nervous Nelly doing this cake.  A month ahead of time, I made the flowers out of fondant and gum paste.  I used toothpicks, when I should have opted for wire to better secure them in the cake.  I used gold dust to give the flowers a golden sheen.




My mom had her original cake topper - yes, 50 years old!  She requested that I paint the hair of the bride white, because my mom's natural hair color is white and has always been that beautiful color.  I touched up the gown that had some yellow in it from age, but it didn't require much work.





This was the first time doing a cascade of flowers; first time doing a tier cake of three levels and first time using malt straws as support for each level.  I decorated the bottom two layers at home, with the middle section in quilt fashion and gold sugar balls.  I finished the cake at my parents home, because I was worried about transporting it.  Here are the pictures.










Something to note:  The roses on the block are "American Beauties" - these rose petals are added with separate layers.  The "cabbage rose"  very large and very heavy (used to decorate only at the bottom of the cake) are done completely different with long strips of petals.
































Comments