Fondant Taste Testing



I was on the look out for fondant, specifically good tasting pre-made fondant.  I've heard of people making their own fondant, but I was hoping for an easy pre-made solution.  Wilton has fondant, but they are pretty gross.  The only one I heard good things about was the chocolate Wilton fondant.  I was also suggested to try the Fondarific wedding flavor fondant.




I made two single layer cakes and covered one with Wilton's chocolate fondant.  I tasted a little bit of the fondant before putting it on the cake - it taste like a Tootsie Roll.





I covered the other single layer cake with Fondarific wedding flavor fondant.    I tasted a little bit, but could not detect a wedding flavor at all!  I added wedding flavor to it, but still it didn't maintain the flavor.  I did color marbling on the this fondant, just for fun.





My dad said both were good.  Gregory liked both.  My husband and mom both said - Yuck to both.  The taste was "bad" but the heavy, thick, pasty texture of both is just too much.  Buttercream is still a favorite.  Here are the pictures of the cakes:


















Bottom line, I will have to consider home-made fondant as an option.  Time to research the recipes.




Comments