Letter to my Son

Dear Son,

The other day Daddy received his new CPAP mask.  You found the instructions and handed them to me, then you pointed to the instructions.  You saw the words on the page and pointed again.  I asked, "Do you want me to tell you a story?"  You nodded your head.

I said, "How about you tell me the story.  Is this a story about a cat or dog?"   You said, "Cat!"  I asked, "Is it a purple cat?"  You said, "No."  I asked, "Is it a blue cat?"  You said, "No."

"Is it a brown cat?"  You nodded your head yes.  I said, "Okay, this book (instruction booklet) is about a brown cat.  That's great!  What is the cat doing?  Is the cat running?"  You said, "No."  I continued to ask questions until you said yes... the story consisted of a brown cat that liked to sleep, walk and meow and the cat would say I Love You.  Do you think Gregory had our cat in mind?


This past week you went to Oma's and Opa's house before going to summer camp.  You found a remote control toy car, but it wasn't working.  Oma told you, "The car has to be fixed.  Give it to Opa."  You brought the car to Opa.  Opa said, "I'm going to need tools to fix this."  You went away for a few minutes... then brought back your toy wrench and toy hammer!


I asked Daddy, just now as I started typing this letter to you, "What is something funny that you remember Gregory doing recently?"  Daddy said, "When I ask Gregory - did you poop?  Gregory gave me a raspberry!"


Mommy saw a picture of you and thought, "hmm, black and white and add back the color."  I see that technique all the time and thought it was cool.  So, I did a black and white effect on the picture. Then I did a "reverse black and white" - so it went back to the original color of your eyes.  Yes, that's your real eye color.  Beautiful!



You also met your newest second cousin - Kenzie!  She is Corrie and Jared's little bundle of joy.  Corrie and Kenzie are both doing great!


This past week, we received a new "skirt" of the driveway.  There was road construction months ago and they are finally getting to finishing off the driveways.  Daddy put your initials in the cement.  We tried to put your footprints, but you refused, lifting your legs as high as you could, away from the cement....



You had some good days at camp this week!  The following video makes me smile each time I see it.





Most of the time you come home with really good reports, but one day this week, you had some trouble....


Oma and Mommy worked with you on sharing candy and toys.  The next day, I wrote to the camp leader and asked for your progress with the music class and explained about trying to teach you more about sharing.  I also asked about your eating habits during lunch (knowing that you are picky eater).

Here is her response:

Gregory was much better at music today and with sharing toys in general. Thank you for working with him at home, consistency is definitely key to success at this age =) 

Gregory eats differently every day. Some days he loves the lunch and others he's not really interested. Most days we have snacks left over from snack time and he also gets a choice of yogurt, jello, apple sauce, or a fruit cup to supplement. Today he ate a good bit of his noodles but did not care for his peas or the meatballs much. We had leftover animal crackers and he chose apple sauce today. Overall I would say he made a happy plate considering what he normally eats =)

I was happy to read that Gregory was doing better.  Even happier when, at the end of the week, Gregory was given the "camper of the week award" - Yes!


Picture of you at camp - I really like how Kehoe-France sends out weekly newsletters and pictures of the children.  The boy in front of you is, Ken.  We met Ken and his dad when we went to Lafreinere park one day, before camp started.


Remember how I said we couldn't get you to put your footprint in the cement?  I loved this next painting that you did at summer camp.  Daddy doesn't think this is your footprint.  I sent an email to the leader, to ask about it.  I hope it is, because it's just too cute!

(EDIT:  The leader just sent a response email - YES, it IS Gregory's footprint.  She said that he squirmed, so it might be a little stretched, but it's definitely his!)


Daddy saw the painting and he said that YOU are HIS superhero!


(As I'm typing this, you are literally helping Daddy unload the dishwasher ~ our little helper)





Two Super Heros walking on a beam.


You are growing up so quickly, Gregory!  I'm loving every moment of your life.  I can't say there is a particular stage of your life so far that I like the most, because each change is precious and beautiful.  I love watching you learn, how you learn, your serious expressions, your joyful ones, your playful ones and yes, even your fussy faces.

Love Always,
Mommy

Comments