Mother's Day Blessings

I know it's a day early, but blessings have been going on for the past week for me.  It started with the lady at the drive through for breakfast.  She saw the car seat and said, "Happy Mother's Day early, in case we don't see you on Mother's Day."  I smiled.  Then, when I went to the drugstore to pick up my medicine, the lady at the cash register wished me a Happy Mother's Day.  She didn't do that for everyone... but I think the toy car in my check out basket might have given me away.  Lol.

Today, my Mom and I arrived early at the nail salon and had a mani/pedi.  It was relaxing and so glad we arrived early, because there was a line of ladies before we left!


When we arrived back at my parents' home, Dad had the filet mignon ready and Greg arrived with Gregory and corn.



It was a busy day, because after lunch, we brought Gregory to the hair salon to get a hair cut.  Gregory was ready for his nap and in a fit.  Gregory does best in the morning....  Whereas any time after 1pm, if he hasn't had a nap, he can be really cranky.  That's okay.  Gwen was able to get some of the longer locks.  He did fall asleep on the way back to my parents' home.  When he woke up, we gave him a quick bath.


Gregory loves to say "No" now...  what a wonderful word to say all day long, right before Mother's Day.  Lol.  But he makes it up with wanting to give kisses.


I have to add this little story about what Gregory did the other day.  I was at my parents' home.  Gregory walked into the front room and closed the door.  Mom and I looked at each other, but didn't say anything.  Then, a few minutes later, we both said, "He is being too quiet."  We walked into the room and I exclaimed, "Look where he is!"  Then I walk closer and I couldn't help the "ohhhh, oohhhhhh" that came out with a bubble of laughter...



He climbed on to the marble table into the middle of the train track and squatted there... with two markers!  And yes, he colored on the table.  He knew he needed a white board or paper to use the marker and I guess he thought the white marble would suffice.  It was funny how when we walked into the room, he didn't jump off of the table.  Instead he had this look as if to say, "Hey, you weren't supposed to see this and if I don't move, maybe you won't see me."  I had to laugh.

Thankfully the marble cleaned quickly.  Later my Mom said, "If you or your brother had done something like that at Gregory's age, we would have given you a spanking or fussed a lot at you to make sure you didn't do something like this again.  It makes me sad to think how we would have reacted as parents back then.  But I was younger than you and you are more calm at this age."  I asked my mom if she was disappointed that I didn't react in a different way.  She wasn't.  She was glad that I could see that this is what children do and I didn't freak out about it.  I AM glad it was on something that could clean easily.  I imagine that won't always be the case.  And I'm not always a calm Mommy, but I'm grateful my mom and dad have given me a loving family.

I remember my childhood through the smiles, the laughter, the hugs, the acceptance, the help, the generosity, the kindness, the compassion, the unconditional love that I understand more and more each day as a parent.  I'm incredibly fortunate.

Happy Mother's Day, Mom.  I love you.  Thank you for being an awesome Mom and an awesome Oma to my son.  We are both Very Blessed!

Happy Mother's Day to all the Mommies out there, of two legs and furry four legged children too!

Comments

Mari said…
Happy Mother's Day Aleta! Glad you've already been having a nice weekend.
Gregory is cute as can be!