Attempts at Piping

No, I'm not into smoking... piping is the icing decorations.  I'm using the buttercream icing recipe in the previous post.  I started working with a full bag of icing, using tips 16, 17, 18 and my hand started hurting like nobody's business.  Fortunately, I was able to turn to a group of cake decorating ladies (and friends on FB) and explain my dilemma.  They suggested to go with 1/2 bag of icing, tip 32 and possibly add water to the icing to make it less of a stiff consistency.



Here are my first 3 days at attempting piping.  NOT as easy as the DVDs and YouTube videos make it out to be!!





















I really need to get the shell border down pat, because it's frequently used and is a real skill at learning balance with consistency.  I'm also still trying to figure out when to hold the bag at 90 or 45 angles, as that makes a difference.



The ladies with the cake decorating group have been very encouraging and supportive, which really helps!

Comments