Greek Salad

My Mom and I took a Greek cooking class together.  One part of the meal was a Greek salad.  The instructor is part Greek, part Italian.  She said, "When you go to a restaurant and order a Greek salad, it has a lot of lettuce on it.  But a real Greek salad has NO lettuce."  I was very happy about this, as I've never been a fan of lettuce.




Mom and I really enjoyed making the vinaigrette and we thought it was delicious.  Last night, my husband and I tried out the recipe and I'm very pleased to say that he enjoyed it!  I will definitely be making this again in the future and for family gatherings :)





Below is a picture of the ingredients, but unfortunately, I could not find a red onion (which is more purple in color), so a yellow onion was replaced.  The ingredients calls for any colored bell pepper EXCEPT for green.  Green has a more bitter flavor.  Red, Orange, Yellow tend to be sweeter.  I prefer orange or yellow.










The vinaigrette is very easy to make.  The important part is to make sure that it sets for 30 minutes after you mix, before refrigerating, so that the flavors meld together.  The picture below is after we had already poured the dressing on the salad, so it makes more than this small amount.














When cutting any bell pepper, if you are going to eat it raw (like in a salad), make sure you cut the veins out - that's the bitter part on the red, orange and yellow.










Tip:  If the dressing has too much "bite" to it, add a little more oil.









Comments