Baby Gregory

Our son, Gregory, was born on President's day, February 18, 2013 at 12:58pm.  At 37weeks 3 days pregnant - he was "preterm"..  

He weighed in at 6 pounds and 12 ounces; 20 inches long.  He was born c section due to pre-eclampsia, my blood pressure was going into stroke range the last week of carrying him when I would over exert or get upset/anxious.



Dr. Wild said that we "made a good call in doing a c section rather than trying to induce.  Because the baby was too high up into the rib section and inducing would have put the baby into duress.  And... because the baby was born with the umbilical cord wrapped around his head."

Though I really wasn't ready for our son to be born this early and this way, I'm very grateful for his safe arrival and the excellent care of my doctor.


We had nurses coming into our room saying, "I have to see the baby.  They told me he was born with a head full of blond hair!  We get babies born with lots of hair, but never one with a full head of blond!"


Blond hair and grey/blue eyes.  My husband's family has a lot of blond in their family, as does my Dad's side.



I had a fantastic pregnancy, with only the last week being a nervous one on bed rest.  But after the baby was born and we came home, I went through postpartum baby blues for about 4 solid days - crying a lot more than the baby did.  Yes, that's a technical term - postpartum baby blues.  Dr. Wild called me at our home around 7:30pm one night to see how I was doing.

She said that these feelings are normal, because the placenta is the organ making all the hormones during pregnancy.  But that gets removed with the birth, of course... and the ovaries don't start to act normal for another 2 months, hence the imbalance in hormones.  Dr. Wild offered anti-depressants, but after reading the side affects, I opted to forgo that.  My husband said he would rather deal with me crying than risk "possible suicidal thoughts or maniac episodes" due to the anti-depressants.  Each day the baby blues did get better and smiles are coming a lot easier now.


One day I might blog in more detail about the baby blues to share it in case it might help another woman going through them.  I also want to blog about the experience of birth via c section.  But for now, I just wanted to drop a quick "Hello" to my bloggy friends and family.

To see more pictures on my Picasa site, please click here.

Comments

Mari said…
Congratulations! He is just beautiful and I'm glad you are doing better too.
Amanda said…
He is a gorgeous baby!!!!! That hair is amazing :) can't wait to hear more about him!
Cperz said…
OMG..baby Gregory is BEEEEAAAUUUUTTTIIIFFFFFUUULLLLL!!!!!

Congratulations!!!!!!!

I have been thinking about you the last few days and was excited to see your post.

I am also, amazed at the similarities. My first baby was delivered a bit early because of preclampsia and our babies are/were the exact same size. weight and height...the same. Crazy coincidence. For me that was 39 years ago so clearly that's where the similarity ends.

I do believe the postpartum depression is normal. I had it both times but mine never was severe or at least not in the ranges of "scary".

Have fun and enjoy your beautiful boy.

Life Happens said…
Congrats!! Baby Gregory is adorable. I just want to hold him and rub his soft blond hair. I'm glad he has safely arrived.

I had the baby blues too. Hang in there mama. Just look at that precious little guy and remember how blessed you are. :)
RGB said…
Congratulations and enjoy your motherhood! Take it one day at a time and cherish every moment with baby Gregory, for before you know it, he will grow up! Baby Gregory is indeed adorable and would love to hear more updates...

God bless!
Cyndy Bush said…
I kept checking the blog, then I finally got impatient and stalked you on FB! LOL So happy that all is well!! Congrats - he is gorgeous!!
SkyMommy said…
Wow, he is such a beautiful baby! Congratulations! Make sure and take care of yourself, I hear those hormones can be a real doozie.
katsidhe said…
Congratulations! He's adorable!
Lilly said…
Congratulations Aleta and Greg and welcome to the world baby Gregory. He is the most beautiful baby. Truly. Just take one day at a time because time goes so quickly.

And I went through the same thing Aleta. All those hormones and tears at every turn. It is overwhelming.

You have a wonderful husband and family, hang on to them. Let them make the load easier.

Anyway, great job Mommy and Daddy you have created one adorable perfect son there. I look forward to reading more as Gregory grows. Big hugs to everyone.
The Forscheins said…
Congrats again to you both. What a beautiful baby boy! Great pictures!!!
Angelia said…
Congrats! He is a cutie!
Mrs. Pancakes said…
Awww Aleta I'm late but congrats!! He is perfect...and I love the name Gregory!!
Natalie said…
Awww he is the cutest! Congrats on your healthy baby boy...and glad you doctor made the right call.
Congratulations. He is GORGEOUS!