Chicken and Rice Casserole

I was looking for a simple recipe for chicken and rice and I wanted it to be in the form of a casserole.  I found a recipe, along with suggestions on how to make it better.  Deciding to go with the comments for suggestions, this is what I ended up with:



Ingredients:

1 can Campbells Condensed Cream of Chicken

1 can Campbells Chicken and Rice (for both cans, I used low fat versions)

1  cup chicken broth (no msg or salt added)

1/2 cup of uncooked long-grain white rice (we use Uncle Bens, as this is Greg's preference)

1/2 large yellow onion

1 large green bell pepper

1/2 floret broccoli

1 pound boneless skinless chicken tenders

bag of shredded cheddar & pepper jack cheese

salt, pepper, garlic power



Instructions:



Heat oven to 375 F.

Cut up the onion and bell pepper and broccoli

Cut the boneless chicken tenders to bite sized - makes it cook faster, season the chicken with salt, pepper and garlic



I used a large rectangular pyrex dish - stir the soup, condensed cream, broth, rice.  Add in the onion, bell pepper and broccoli, salt, pepper and garlic - stir together.



Add chicken, stir.



Cook for one hour.  Make sure the chicken is cooked through and then top with the cheese.  I put the dish back in the oven for another 5 minutes for the cheese to melt and serve.



My husband enjoyed it and said he would definitely want it again and went for seconds.  It was super easy to make.  Greg did offer two suggestions:  Add more rice, because it was a little on the liquid side and go a little easy on the pepper.  (I tend to add more pepper and spices to things, because I know that Greg likes things well seasoned and I'm someone who tends to go for the less seasoned.. so it's a little hard for me to guestimate that "right season" mixture, but one day I'll get it :)



I'm just glad he liked it, because it's easy to make!



And being that I'm pregnant... the one big turn off for me is broccoli.  I ate a raw piece of broccoli before adding it to the mixture to cook and yuck, my stomach didn't like it, so I was worried how I would react to the dish.  But surprisingly, the broccoli, cooked with the mixture, was very tasty!

Comments