Hurricane Tip

Something good to know if you live in a hurricane prone area:

We received a tip from the severe weather seminar this morning. Prepare
your freezer before leaving for a hurricane or severe weather, put your
items into black plastic bags and tie---also put a dixie cup of water in
the freezer, let it freeze and then put a penny on top of it. When you
return if the penny has dropped to the bottom and been re-frozen you would
know that your power had gone out. You can then discard the black bags and
save your freezer or refrigerator.

Comments

Alexandra Heep said…
I wish I had known that for Isabel and Irene!

Another thing they told us on the news is to set the refrigerator on the highest setting before the hurricane comes through. When the power does go out, food will last a little longer. It did make a difference for me.

Sounds simply really, but I had not thought of it til they said it.
Tara R. said…
Living on the Gulf Coast, we have hurricane prep down to a science. I've heard this tip before, and love it. Starting in early June, I begin using up as much food in my freezer as I can. In case of a severe storm, and evacuation, the less chance of losing so much food if we loss power.
Head Ant said…
You can also use a container of ice cubes. If you come back to a single block of ice, throw out the bag.

Important: Tell your spouse about the ice BEFORE they throw out the bag.
Priscilla said…
I am just going to say. It doesn't matter if you live in a hurricane prone area or not. ALWAYS have a natural disaster pack ready.

We were hit by Isabel and just recently by Irene here in VA. It was a disaster. Even for us.

:( Packs are good, no matter what!
Broot said…
That's a cool tip!
The Aums Mama said…
Ok, I find this so fascinating even though I've never experience a hurricane here in California!