Happiness is Beads


I'm happy to be participating in Jade's "Happiness Is"

Happiness Is Beads

I love to make jewelry. Seeing all the pretty shades of colors and sparkles, it makes me smile. Put me in a bead store and I'm like a little kid in a candy store. Only, it's a lot more expensive than the candy.

But, I'm not going to write about the jewelry I make.. the beads I'm talking about right now are Mardi Gras beads. Those plastic, cheap "Throw me something, Mister" trinkets.

My Mom's school collects the beads and then uses the beads in their art classes. I think this is SO cool! They twist or cut the beads so they are individual little rounds and then glue them on a painting, to give a 3D appearance. Below are some pictures. Some pictures are completed with the beads, others are not, so you can see the process. Seeing the beads being used this way makes me want to be a kid again!

MARDI GRAS KING CAKE
(Below picture you can see the beads on some of the black and the green)

Boiled Crawfish Painting (you can see the bags of beads - bottom of picture)

Comments

Unknown said…
Wow! I've never seen that done with beads before. Pretty amazing!
Those are so amazing -I'll never look at Mardi Gras beads the same way again!
Tara R. said…
I do love beads too. Sometimes I buy beads, not to make anything with, but just because I think they are so beautiful. The bead art is amazing!
I bet that requires a lot of patience.
That's a great idea, a picture out of beads. I would not have thought about doing this. I thought you stash them away for kids parties or for the next Mardi Gras. We never had beads during 'Mardi Gras' (=Fasnacht) when I grew up in Switzerland.
Kim said…
Those are beautiful! I know she could sell those. A restaurant would love that crawfish one. They are just too awesome.
Natalie said…
Wow that is amazing! And such a clever idea!
julie fedderson said…
What a cool way to use those beads! I make jewelry too, and the old beads that I can't use I will make pictures with my kids using Mod Podge. Never thought about using the Mardi Gras beads. Cool idea.
Angela said…
Wow! That's really cool. That must take a lot of time, but it looks really worth it. I love different artistic media to play with!