H is for



ABC Your Home State


(Grab the button on the right sidebar)

Welcome to “ABC of Your State” ~ This challenge is based on friends and bloggers asking about Louisiana, as well as my interest in travel and learning about other places. Please feel welcome to join in.



H is for…

~Haunted Homes. There are a lot of haunted house tours. Click here for variety of tours. If possible, take a night haunted home tour, because it’s cooler and adds to the haunting feeling :)

A couple of homes to mention:

Hermann-Grima – This mansion has a courtyard garden, horse stable and functional 1830’s outdoor kitchen in the Quarter. It’s said that the ghost in this home scatter scented rose and lavender around the rooms and light the fireplaces.


Lafitte’s Blacksmith Shop – The oldest pub in the country. Master Jean Lafitte was a buccaneer . It’s said that his ghost is seen in the building with his pirate hat. The story goes that when a pirate buries his treasure, he kills someone on the spot.. then the ghost guards the treasure so no one can steal it.


Hotel Monteleone – Haunted by former owners, staff and guests. The restaurant door opens and closes on its own, even after it’s been locked… the elevator stops on the wrong floors, hallways have turned suddenly cold. The International Society of Paranormal Research spent several days at the hotel and they say they made more than a dozen contacts with entities.


Bearegard-Keyes House – This was once the home of Confederate General Beauregard. During the night, people see horrible visions of the Battle of Shiloh, with blood splattering on the wall and hearing the wounded soldiers.


Le Pavillon Hotel – Greg and I stayed here before. It’s a beautiful hotel and they deck it out for Christmas time. I’ve never seen any hauntings. It’s supposed to be one of the most haunted hotels in New Orleans. Ada, a teenage girl, haunts the hotel. She was struck and killed by a carriage. She’s seen pacing the lobby, saying, “Pardon me, I am very lost.”


LaLaurie Mansion – Probably one of the best known haunted homes. Madame Lalaurie and her husband used to have very ritzy parties, they were the talk of the town for parties to attend. What the guests didn’t know was that on the third floor, slaves were being tortured and mutilated. I won’t go into the details, but it’s gruesome.

Comments

Penny said…
My husband's cousin works at Monteleone! I didn't know it was haunted, though! Cool!!
Very cool! I've always wanted to do one of the ghost walks here in Charleston but no one will go with me! I've heard tales that the old house I work in is supposed to be haunted but mostly I think it's just old and creaky :)
Tara R. said…
I've been on a haunted house tour in Savannah, GA. It as great. I'd love to do a ghost walk in NOLA. One of my favorite cities.
I've always wanted to go to LA and take a haunted house tour! maybe when it gets a little cooler lol!
That would be so much fun! And maybe I could meet you in real life ;)
The second one looks really creepy! I'd love to go on a ghost tour through your city.
And I know the perfect H for my state - hurricane! As in, one's going to hit us this weekend.
M.A. Leslie said…
Ghost stories, haunted houses, and things that jump out at me give me the heebie geebies!
Kim said…
The pictures and buildings are so gorgeous. I definitely would not do any ghost tours. That creeps me out.
Anonymous said…
Wow - those are cool. There are a lot of ghost tours in places I've visited...but I chicken out every time. I'd have nightmares afterwards! I didn't know the legend about a pirate killing someone when they bury their treasure. Brutal, bloody...but a great tale!
Jessica said…
Haunted houses give me the creeps. I'm such a wuss when it comes to things like that.
I'm sort of intrigued by and deathly afraid of haunted homes/places! Those look like pretty interesting ones, though.
One of my favorite cities, and one with a long history of hauntings. A good use of H. I never had any hauntings there, but reading at midnight with the fog rolling past off the mississippi made the atmosphere ready for one - also the first place I read the 'otherly' works of Cowley (NOT crowley)