E is for


ABC Your Home State


(Grab the button on the right sidebar)

Welcome to “ABC of Your State” ~ This challenge is based on friends and bloggers asking about Louisiana, as well as my interest in travel and learning about other places. I’d love to read about your state or travels (Even though it says "your home state" - it's open to any place you have lived or traveled too)! Please feel welcome to join in. There should be a linky for you to post your website address at the bottom of this post.



E is for…

~ Étouffée. I thought I’d have a difficult time with “E” but I was saved by our Cajun food :) “Étouffée” is French and means “smother, stew, or braise.” It can have a brown roux base or tomato-based sauce.

It’s typically made with seafood, either shrimp or crawfish (i.e. crawdad, mudbug), the holy trinity (onion, celery and bell peppers) and is served over rice. It’s a meal, not a side dish and it’s very filling. (It’s thicker than stew.)

If you never tried crawfish before, Étouffée is the way to introduce yourself to those cute little critters…. If you’re looking for a Southern Louisiana Cajun food, definitely give it a try!

Oh and to pronounce it: “ay-two-FAY”



Comments

Martha Jin said…
well...I read Ee..tou feh..and at the end I learnt it's pronounced differently. :) Love this post, I learnt a new thing. :)
Unknown said…
Stopping in from sits. This post has made me hungry and we have almost all the ingredients for me to fake it .) Have a great day.
Lesley said…
I absolutely crave shrimp etoufee all the time.....just wish I could find somewhere here in NJ that could satisfy my craving!
Is it a little like a creole? Sounds good!
And I plan on posting for F next week. Sorry I can't participate every week!
Tara R. said…
I LOVE crawfish Étouffée! Being from Florida, I can find authentic dishes at several of our local seafood restaurants.
Jessica Heights said…
I'm not familiar with that...but it looks tasty!
Hmmm...that sounds interesting. And yummy.
YAY! I stopped by for another ABC post! Love them... not so crazy about seafood, so etoufee in not my thing.
M.A. Leslie said…
Now that's just making me hungry.
Alison said…
Yum, I've never had this but it sounds so good! I do love seafood!
Natalie said…
Yum that looks really good! I need to give it a try!
Your Étouffée looks super yummy, I think our Creole food is very similar to your Cajun food, we don't use crawfish or shrimps but 'normal' fish. But anyway, I'd go for it anytime. Yay for you E :-)