B is for






ABC Your Home State


(Grab the button on the right sidebar)
Welcome to “ABC of Your State” ~ This challenge is based on friends and bloggers asking about Louisiana, as well as my interest in travel and learning about other places. I’d love to read about your state or travels (Even though it says "your home state" - it's open to any place you have lived or traveled too)! Please feel welcome to join in. There should be a linky for you to post your website address at the bottom of this post.
B is for
~ Bourbon Street. You know that was would be the first response, right? Whenever someone thinks of New Orleans, Bourbon Street is a “must see.” Debauchery at its worst… Word to the wise, don’t dress up nice when going to Bourbon Street, because there are three things you will be sure to experience: booze (someone will spill something on you), pee and vomit. Not all in that order, but believe the saying when you ask where Bourbon Street is and the response is, “Follow your nose.” (And yes, it’s true, Year ‘Round, not just Mardi Gras, women will flash for beads. Caution - if you do the buggy ride tour, make sure you ask the driver if they go down Bourbon Street, if so, you might not want the kids seeing the strip clubs.)

There is one redeeming quality to Bourbon Street – Jazz Music. Go to Preservation Hall for good jazz tunes and a nice atmosphere. It's a classy place. Find out when they are having a jazz performance. If you're lucky, they might even do the Second Line dance.
Also, while you're on Bourbin Street, don't forget to stop at Pat O's (Pat O'Brien) for a hurricane drink. Look for two fire fountains. (Oh and the reason why Greg is called GregO is because his middle name is Patrick, last name O'Brien... see the reason and as his wife, from time to time, I'm called AletaO. I think it's cute!) Below is one of the fire fountains - it's in the middle of the courtyard at Pat O's.

~ Boudin. Quote by Calvin Trillin, “I figure that about 80 percent of the boudin purchased in Louisiana is consumed before the purchaser has left the parking lot, and most of the rest is polished off in the car. In other words, Cajun boudin not only doesn’t get outside the state; it usually doesn’t even get home.”
What is Boudin? Pork. Cajun Boudin is sausage made from port and dirty rice (not literally “dirty rice” – that’s a menu item for another time).

~ Beignets. It’s not pronounced “Bag nets”. It’s pronounced “Ben yay” (The G and T are silent and the a should have a line over it.) Think of it as a square donut with no hole in the middle and topped with powdered sugar. Another Word to the wise: until you are a pro, don’t wear dark colored cloths when going to Café du Monde for an order of beignets (there are three beignets to one order).
Here’s a native’s tip on eating a beignet: Don’t Breath. Seriously. Take a breath before holding up the beignet (otherwise if you breath in while biting, you’ll look like you snorted something other than sugar), bite and put down the beignet (if you breath out while holding the beignet, you’ll coat your friends in sugar (and if they were smart, they won’t be in dark cloths). Best advise: Try them, you’ll love ‘em. If you come to New Orleans, you MUST try the Beignets.

~ Bon Ton Cafe - Looking for New Orleans Cajun cuisine?  Bon Ton Cafe is a great restaurant to go to.  It's located on Magazine Street.  If you like crab meat, get the crabmeat au gratin.  Save room for the bread pudding :).  I wrote about our experience at Bon Ton Cafe, to read the blog post, click here.




Comments

It sounds delicious! A trip without food wouldn't be a fun trip!

Thanks for stopping by and helping me celebrate my SITS day! You blessed me!
Priscilla said…
Bourbon street sounds like it would be fun. My best friend is a jazz singer. :) She and I would both love to go!

My co-worker's father lives in New Orleans but I have never been west of the Blue Ridge Mountains myself.

Looks like a fiesta. I hope to try a gluten-free bourbon chicken recipe soon.

Thanks for stopping by my blog, Stopping by from SITS. I added a link for your blog to mine. (Helps me remember to visit!)
Bourbon Street does not sound like my kind of place. However, eating a beignet sounds like my style. I promise not to snort the powdered sugar.
I'll be able to participate next week - and I already know what I am doing for C!
Jennifer said…
Hi Aleta! What a great idea for a challenge.

I've never been to New Orleans, but the way you've described Bourbon Street is the way I've imagined it would be like.

Those beignets look and sound wonderful :)
Alison said…
After choking on the most delicious beignet while in New Orleans this past January with girlfriends, I second the breathing comment :) Beautiful city, cannot wait to return and show it off to my husband and kids!!
look at all those wonderful "b's! New Orleans is on my list of places to see. I've not been there yet!
Jami said…
ooh New Orleans.. I've always wanted to visit there i can't imaging how much fun it is to live there :D

Great idea for a challenge too I'll have to try to remember enough about my home state to join in.. I've been away so long LOL