Why Can't Everyday Be Christmas


Do you keep any Christmas decorations up all year long?

I know some people who keep their Christmas icicle lights up all year but only turn them on for December.

I know a lot of HOA's have attitudes about homes being decorated after the holidays. (Though we've never had any issues with our HOA, at least, that I'm aware of.)

One person told me that "you should leave something out that is from Christmas all year long" - someone from high school said that years ago and it made an impression.

When Rob and I were younger, we gave my Mom and Dad a lighted ceramic Christmas tree. When my grandmother came to live with my parents, Mom and Dad kept the little ceramic Christmas tree out and it stayed lit. It was the "night light" in the family room all year long for as long as Nana (my grandmother) stayed with my parents.... when my grandmother passed away, Mom and Dad turned off the Christmas lights. Very symbolic... Christmas... Love... and respect of Nana's passing, the mourning of her loss. It made my heart ache to see the little tree with no lights on. Maybe this year they will turn on the lights again.

I have something that I keep out all year long. It's a nativity scene. It's so beautiful that I keep it out all the time. The colors are soft, the detail is lovely and the meaning ~ is something to cherish every day. Merry Christmas



Comments

Nicki said…
I love this idea! Your nativity is beautiful. :)
GregO said…
Yeah nice sentiment with something small and inside... but keeping exterior lights up year round makes me think the homeowners are just lazy and dont care what their house looks like. Its not like they light them up every night year round... not to mention dangling off the side of a house year long is ugly.UG_A_LY
We have a string of Christmas lights around one window that we forgot years ago - does that count?
And you're a smart couple to own two iPads!