NBWM24 Pharaoh Hound


When Greg and I visit Sally and Bruce, we also get a visitor on four legs. He looks like a deer and leaps across two backyards in 4 strides!

Have you seen a Pharaoh Hound? They are full of energy, huge ears and as Greg said, “Everything about the dog is pointy!”

I did a little bit of research on the Pharaoh dogs. They originated in the small island of Maita (in the Mediterranean Sea). They were called Kelb Tai-Fenek, meaning “rabbit dog.” I guess with the ears, I can see that!

I thought this was interesting info, “The Pharaoh Hound was thought to have been linked to ancient Egypt because historians found paintings of similar looking dogs inside pyramids. In reality, this dog is of no relation to any Egyptian breed but is actually a descendant from African hunting dogs.”

Pharaoh Hounds are one of the oldest dogs, dating back to 4000 BC. Sally and Bruce don’t own the dog, it’s a neighbor’s dog and they don’t have a fence dividing the two properties. The dog actually comes inside their home.

The neighbor was able to get the dog at a very reasonable price, because it has a slightly crooked tail. Otherwise, it would have cost mega money, with a lineage of championship parents. Plus, this dog has a white tip at the end of its tail and that’s supposed to make it more expensive too – ah, but a crooked shape gave the dog a regular life. (Which isn’t a bad thing! No doggie show stress to contend with, Lol)







Comments

Golden Eagle said…
That's an interesting dog!
CB said…
I don't think I have ever heard of this kind of dog before. I enjoyed all the interesting facts on this breed. :-D
The Forscheins said…
Isn't he amazing! I can't think of his name right now but he was so much fun to see when we were there last summer. I honestly can't believe you got him to sit still long enough to take a picture of him. He's so fast that we've tried many times but never quite caught him in a picture. We'd always have a brown blurb or a tail... :)
Hippomanic Jen said…
I thought he was a statue until you went on with the story. Obviously very intelligent, but a bit freaky!
I thought he was a statue too! He certainly is elegant. I've never heard of this breed before. Thanks!
Anonymous said…
ive never seen this type of dog before. so pretty. now i want one.