Wifi and 3G iPads

At the beginning of April, I blogged about Greg and I ordering the 3G iPad. When the Wifi iPads arrived in the stores early April, Greg was chomping at the bit to get one. He sent me an email about how it's better to have two iPads when it comes to a couple. Then said that he would likely hog the 3G iPad....and convinced the both of us, that we should get a Wifi iPad as well.

Greg even went so far as to send me this link about "Peace in the home: Sharing an iPad with your spouse" (Greg added, "This is why we have two iPads!"). Here's the link: http://www.tuaw.com/2010/04/20/peace-in-the-home-sharing-an-ipad-with-your-spouse/

So, WOOT! We have Wifi and Wifi/3G iPads now for about a week. It's GREAT! Greg handed me the Wifi iPad and said, "This is yours. You get to open it." Cute little box, one sheet of paper with directions on controlling volume, on and off button and it was ready to go - yes, that simple!

It's so incredibly portable! It's thin and you can go into any room in the house to read emails, look at FB updates, search the Internet, look up recipes (did I just type that?), write journal notes... all from the comfort of the sofa or bed, wherever! (I'm waiting for Greg to bring it into the bathroom, hehe) I love being able to hear my iTunes no matter where I am.

Ok, the Apps - what's great is that Greg was able to put almost all of the Apps from his iPhone into the iPads. Greg showed me two games. Angry Birds and there's another one, but I don't recall the name. I'm trying to block it out of my memory. I told Greg NOT to show me the games, but he insisted. And then.... I was hooked. HOOKED, I tell you, because he had to take the iPad away from me three hours later. That said, I know when Greg is playing Angry Birds, because he starts laughing and immitating the sounds of the birds - WEEEEEE. Don't get this app unless you have the time, seriously, it's that addictive. Greg showed our friend, Bev, the app... she doesn't just play to get a high score, she plays for 3 stars per episode!

I love the screen - it's large, but not out of control big. I can write journal notes and oh my gosh, order books - BOOKS - and the screen is great for reading!

Greg brought the iPad to work on a number of occasions and it's helped. It's so easy to carry around. And oh! I read somewhere that women are making iPad carriers out of material. Neat idea - click here to see an etsy example.

We already tested to see if the earphone splitter will work, so we can both watch the same movie while on a trip. We thought about using just one iPad and then if the battery runs out or if one person wants to play a game or read a book, the other iPad is available. I tell you, I really do like the size of the iPad. I often complained that the iPhone has cool apps, but the screen was too tiny. Laptops are too big to carry around. The iPad is perfect!

One day, Greg told me, "I don't want to always hold the iPad, especially if I'm reading a book." That was his only complaint.


A couple of days later, Greg was talking with a guy that he works with... the guy was having difficulties financially, so he was selling band equipment. He had a music stand, brand new, still in the box, and was trying to sell it. The stand cost 60, but the guy wanted 15, just to get extra money. Greg bought the stand for 15.00 and then asked if I could use it for anything. I didn't need one for the piano or for beading, so I suggested that Greg find a way to make it into the iPad stand that he was thinking of....

Greg said I was his muse... he converted the stand into the iPad holder. He made the frame so the iPad slips into the frame and it’s attached to the stand. How cool is that?! Not only did he convert the music stand to an iPad stand… he created another iPad stand with an “A” frame for the iPad to slip into (easier to control the volume buttons, etc) Greg is SO creative! I took a picture of it from the bed - shows that Greg sees the iPad and in the distance, the TV. I had to laugh!







































Rene, a good friend of the family, wrote to Greg, saying:
--------------------------------
I am thinking I might get another case for my iPad before I go out of town next week. The apple
Case does not stay shut. I am seeing products from incase and marware that might do the trick. I am headed to the Apple Store in the morning. I liked yours but I am looking for something like a book jacket style.

Currently considering:
the MarWare Eco Vue

http://www.marware.com/products/iPad/Eco-Vue-for-iPadincase convertible book jacket

http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/convertible-book-jacket-cl57512


----------------------------------------
Greg sent a response:

Good Morning Rene..


I am glad you share the same passion for mobile computing that I do with the iPad. I totally agree with you about the Apple cover... it does seem a little on the "I like to flop open" mode... but I am not too sure why the other models you showed me wouldn't do the same.

It IS tough out there trying to make a decision between convenience, protection and viability while balancing the original reason we bought the iPad instead of a new laptop... we love the PORTABILITY as well. It seems that iPad cases are still in its infancy... so here’s my opinion...


My two main priorities is first PROTECTION(while NOT using it)... but that can be easily achieved by stuffing it in a back pack or luggage.... The next priority is a combination of ease-of-use while operating the unit... with a comfortable, safe (non-drop) functionality... like rubber. But rubber... although very protective and shock absorbent is HEAVY!


Laptops are rarely that... sitting on your lap. They are almost ALWAYS on a table and that’s a lot safer. I want the iPad so I can use it in-hand as well as table top... SAFELY


So where am I going with this? I have NO idea... but so far I am Happy with my incase rubber i-phone style protective cover... and for traveling I have my incase carrier I showed you earlier.


MAYBE... if someone invented the same type of Apple folder type unit that would CLOSE... as well as if the internal accelerometer sensed the unit falling it would auto-inflate a protective air-bag to protect the unit. It could run off of a mini CO2 cartridge half the size of the ones used in pellet guns. This is not new technology because accelerometers already sense falling in some systems with hard drives and automatically protects the hard drive from crashing.


Ready to make millions??? We need to patent this right away!



Editors Note:
This message was brought to you by Caffeine. In no way is the operator of this computer completely responsible for its content.


--------------------------------------------




Oh and Mother's Day - the iPad got a workout. We brought it over to Greg's parents' home. Greg introduced "Angry Birds" app to his Dad and brother. I took some pictures of them playing:




























There are so many fun things to do with an iPad. Greg sent me this link. He said, "I can see the ONLY downside... is that if you need to take it out to use it mobile on the go... the way its designed to be used... you have a BIG square hole in the cabinet." Check out the link - the guy put the iPad into the kitchen cabinet, where he can listen to iTunes, read the newspaper, have a screen of fish, etc.:


http://www.tuaw.com/2010/05/04/found-footage-an-ipad-in-a-kitchen-cabinet/


Tap, tap, tap ~ so easy to tap the screen on the iPad! I love it.
My PC is lonely. It's running slower and slower and slower. I think it feels Apple'd out.

Comments

Amanda said…
I can't decide if I'd like to eventually get one of these or not but I've been reading a lot about them. I just bought a laptop and lots of programs for it to do design work. I think had I not done that I'd consider getting one.

I'm glad to hear that you like it so much!
Joanna Jenkins said…
I officially now have iPad envy! I'm so tempted to get one..... maybe soon.
Glad you are loving yours!
jj
RGB said…
Convinced. I'm checking out iPad right away!
Peggy said…
I have an iPad. Decided to try out Angry Birds. I blame you for my and hubby's complete lack of productivity now. :)
Aleta said…
Greg was writing to Rene and sent him this message, I had to laugh....

"im so Apple.... today I was playing Angry Birds on my Ipad... Aleta came home and was checking on her Facebook on her iPad. While she went to the ladies room I continued playing angry birds but grabbed hers and went to Safari and watched the Video Walkthrough for Angry Birds because I had a difficult level. While doing BOTH ipads I heard an email come in on my iMac. Then we went out to dinner and on the way there I listened to my ipod nano which is always in my armrest and is directly connected to my car.

too much? Oh yeah I got calls on my iPhone... which will soon be Aletas because my company is sending us all iPhone 3gS's. DOOOOOHHHHH!!!!!"
Life Happens said…
My hubby just got the same pad. It's quite nice. I'll have to check out the angry bird app though.