Italian Food

I don't eat Italian. It's the red sauce.

Greg, on the other hand, loves Italian.


One day, Greg asked where we should go for supper. I was tired of the regular places, so when he suggested "Fat Greg's" in Kenner, I figured ~ hey, it's a change. Most likely it's just pizza and red sauce, but I'm sure I can find a salad too.

The outside looks like a hole in the wall. It's something that you look at and think, "Who would eat there?" Greg said, "Fat Greg's isn't a name of a restaurant that you'd think of table cloths and good dining."

When we walked in, it was lovely. Not super fancy, but nicely decorated. It's not a large place but the tables are spaced so that you don't feel like the place was trying to crowd people in.


We went to the table on the right side of the restaurant (it’s divided in two halves). Another couple was on the same side of the restaurant that we were and Greg asked them if they could recommend a dish. They immediately said, "Pecan Chicken and pasta." When I looked at the menu description of the dish, it didn't have red sauce for the pecan chicken - woot! And, you could substitute the pasta for broccoli - yeah!

I enjoyed the quiet ambiance of the restaurant. We were able to have a pleasant conversation with the other couple and talked about various places in the area.

Food wise ~ Everything was delicious. This is one of those little secrets in the area. The waitress' name was Becky and her husband is Greg (the owner and chef) and no, he's not fat. I can definitely see us going there again. The portions were large, so we split our plates and took half to go home. The prices are reasonable and with having left overs for lunch the next day - even more savings!

So, whenever my hubby wants Italian, we have an agreed upon place to go!

Comments

jules said…
Sounds like a great place. I love when you can find a secret new place to eat.
A New Yorker said…
Too funny that Greg went to Fat Greg's. IN NYC they'd picket the place. It's the last prejudice you know, against FAT people. OY! LOL
Coffeypot said…
I love some Italian, but I don't care for the tomato sauce. Tomato's are for hamburgers and sandwiches. I like pasta with garlic butter sauce, too.
The Forscheins said…
I think, but am not 100% sure, we went here with my in-laws once. Is it right by a T.J. Maxx? (or Marshalls? I can never keep the 2 apart). Anyway that was really yummy food too!!
I love it when you can find a good compromise!! And the food there sounds perfect!! I'm a big Italian fan myself...But I love all the non-red sauce stuff as well...Have a great weekend Aleta! ~Janine XO
Splitting your meals and taking home leftovers for lunch tomorrow—you two always sound so HAPPY together. It makes me smile :-) My husband and I almost NEVER like the same things to eat. Actually, he likes his AND mine. I just don't like his—usually the richest thing on the menu.
RGB said…
Sounds like a nice place to dine.
septembermom said…
Sounds like a nice place to dine and have fun. I love Italian food!
Hmmm. I left a comment on this post...wonder if you have comment moderation and are out of town for the holiday weekend? Just wanted to wish you a happy Memorial Day! I'm sure YOU will make the most of it! You KNOW how to enjoy family!!! I love that! Love, Janine XO
Aleta said…
Thanks Janine! I have comment moderation on and for some reason my email address wasn't saved or I did an oppsy and erased it somehow. I finally figured out what the problem was and fixed it. Thanks for coming back and leaving a comment. Always good to hear from you :)