Aquarium of New Orleans

Aquarium of New Orleans


I love to play “tourist” in New Orleans. Greg and I went to the Aquarium, as neither of us had been there in a long time.


There are two feedings early in the morning. We missed the Penguin feeding (might have to go back, just for that). But we made it in time for the Sting Ray feeding! The feeding is on the second floor and there are limited tokens to purchase.

After you purchase the tokens, you turn them in for 5 small fish. You make a “pancake hand” (flat) and hold the skinny, smelly fish between the middle and fourth finger. Lower you hand down and the stingrays will come! There were a lot of kids in line to feed the stingrays, but most of them just dropped the fish in the water, too afraid of the experience.

For my first fish, I have to admit, the stingray came right up to me and I dropped too quickly. Afterwards though, I was shouting and giggling like a kid. It was fun and what a strange feeling ~ the stingrays suck the fish from your fingers and don’t even think about holding the fish too tight ~ the stingray will flap and grab at it.




















Greg and I also watched the Otters being fed. I thought they were cute. Greg liked how the Otter had a crab and ate on its back. I took videos of the Otter, which Greg said would come out better than his pictures, because of the flash. Ok, yes, I took a lot of videos of the otter :)





















Greg took some great shots of the fish with our Nikon.

























I loved the Aquarium’s underwater tunnel.









Afterwards, we walked along the Riverwalk and into the stores. The stores are expensive there, but it’s always a treat to window shop.



























To see more pictures, Click Here.

Comments

Darlene said…
Hi Aleta,

That looks like a GREAT aquarium and what fun to feed the sting rays. Lexi has done that at an aquarium in Kemah near Houston. The otters are too cute. I used to love watching them out on the rocks when we used to live in California. Looks like a fun day.
A New Yorker said…
Those videos were fun to watch. But I can't help thinking about what it might feel like to have people come pay to watch us eat our dinner. LOL
septembermom said…
Thanks for sharing your trip with us. I love aquariums. The videos were great. That last picture of you is terrific.
Lisa said…
That was our last day in New Orleans---we did the aquarium and the riverwalk. You beat me to the blog, though! :) :)
Kavi said…
Seems to be such a lovely facility ! Thanks for sharing !
What a fantastic aquarium! I love it! I have never been there...but it is now on my bucket list :-) Love otters!! I think I would have probably taken just as much video of those wonderful fellows! Great post! Such fun...I'm grinning! Love, Janine XO
Mari said…
It looks like a fun place to visit. I love the otter videos! They are so cute!