My Blog is Carbon Neutral

So, who thought a blog would be environmentally unhealthy?

It’s time to go a little green. “The Secret is in the Sauce” shared this neat site where the blog emissions can be “neutralized.”

To quote the site: “According to a study by Alexander Wissner-Gross, PhD, physicist at Harvard University and environmental activist, an average website causes about 0.02 (0,0008oz) of carbon dioxide for each visit. Assuming an average blog gets 15,000 visits a month, it has yearly carbon dioxide emissions of 3,6k (8lb.). This can mainly be tracked back to the immense energy usage from (mainframe) computers, services, and their cooling systems.”

Ummmm, 15,000 visits a month? Not likely on my blog, but still ~ I’m all for doing some good for the environment.

Once you blog about their site and put their cute little button on your blog (look to the right), they plant a tree per blogger. The trees are planted in California and Germany. Pretty cool, I thought.

See that little blue/green “my blog is carbon neutral” – click on it and give them a visit. Or, click here, to go to the site.

co2 neutral shopping and coupons with kaufDA.de

Now….. this has me thinking about planting a tree in the front yard….

Comments

CB said…
I was going to say that maybe I'll just plant a tree to keep my blog green! Neat idea though :D
Ugich Konitari said…
What a great idea ! Going over right now with my garden implements...
RGB said…
Hmmm...whatever we do, we seem to leave a carbon footprint behind. However, like the idea that they would plant a tree in exchange for getting the word around. And you've taken a big step. Kudos to you!
Grand Pooba said…
Wha? I've never heard of that before! That's crazy!
Carma Sez said…
I get so many hits my blog is dangerous - uh - not! ;-)

good cause.
Tabitha Blue said…
Very, very cool!! What a great idea... and maybe I'll plant my own as well!

:)
~Tabitha
Holyoke Home said…
I knew that computing centers use a TON of energy, but I never made the connection to my blog. Thank you so much for sharing the info!

Now about that tree! I've got a post coming up next week about just that subject!
Rita Templeton said…
This is so awesome! It's been a few days since I visited SITS so I hadn't heard of it. I'm going to make my blog carbon-neutral too ... whee! :)
Anonymous said…
This is great. I've been meaning to do it.

Thanks for visiting me on my special SITS day.
Kavi said…
Hmm ! Very interesting! Will go over soon !

:)

Thanks for sharing!
WOW! Who woulda thunk it?! That's amazing...and you are one cool lady to follow through! Love you!!! Janine XO
Kim said…
That's a great idea. It makes me want to plant a tree too! I've been trying to decide what kind and where since last summer!