Future Me

Have you ever written a "Future Me" Letter?

You write the letter, determine how far in the future you want to send it and if you still have the same email after that length of time, you get a letter from yourself. It's like receiving a piece of your journal in the future ~ a little snippet of the past and a nice comparison of where you are today. What I wrote a year ago:
************************

"Dear Future Aleta,

I sure hope things are going well. Right now, as of this point in time, life is sweet.


Greg and I were married January 3 this year. It's hard to believe that 5 months prior to us getting married, Greg was in a horrible car accident. He pulled through it and by the Grace of God survived. Now I understand the meaning in more depth, "You'll never know how much you love someone until you almost lose them." I added almost, because I didn't and Thank God.


Greg is the man of my dreams in all possible ways. He's gentle, thoughtful, generous, kind, funny, handsome, intelligent, creative, sexy, strong, whatever I want, he's it. I pray every day for God to watch over Greg and keep him safe.

We had a lovely wedding, accompanied with relatives and loved ones and rain. Yes, it rained and it didn't bother me. Family and friends really came together to make the decorations beautiful. The ceremony was given by Greg's friend, Father Ken, and he did a great job - making it special and funny, yet touching as well.


Rob and Roda were married last year in September. They seem really happy together and I'm glad. Roda fits in well with the family and is going to the beading meetings with me - very smart and catches on quick, along with a great smile. I'm fortunate to have her as a sister-in-law!


Right now, work is topsy-turvy. I wonder if a year from now, if it will be any different? Will the accounts be worked through for the other company? What decision will the bank make? Will WSC continue to be affected by the extra workload or will there be relief in sight? Yet, at the same time, I have to be grateful for what I have with the way the economy is, people are being laid off left and right in various industries.

May this next year find love growing each day, stronger and more beautiful. May we keep our modest home and make renovations. We just finished renovating all the floors and it feels SO nice! We also purchased a new sofa set. We sold the blue monster sectional and it was good riddance to it - not something I wanted to hold on to. It feels right to start off our marriage with a new, pretty sofa!

I'm rambling. Let's see, things I'd like for us to do this year... write more poetry, write a short story with Greg (would love that)... renovate both bathrooms and get new bedroom/bathroom windows... get new heater and AC.. continue to keep the bills in line and put money into savings... continue to love, support, adore and share laughter with my husband.


Be good to me, Aleta. Life is all about ups and downs. Life is a cycle and whatever comes, if you have Love, you'll make it through. Greg's love will never end, I trust in that and I believe in it. That's the source of joy in my life. So, be good to me, believe in the future and look for the up times and when it's quiet, relax and enjoy that too.

Love,
Aleta

****************

Reading the letter made me smile. I'm ready to send another "Future Me Letter." A lot has changed and a lot has stayed the same. Much like life, hmm?

If you like the idea, go to (www.FutureMe.Org)

Be careful of the options though, because you can either make the letter public (you can read other letters there too) or private (where it's only emailed to your address).

Comments

A New Yorker said…
Can I change my future? LOL
Kavi said…
Thats some letter ! Seems like a good concept that i can think about too !

:)
The Forscheins said…
Love the letter. And it must be such a neat surprise to get it a year later when you've probably forgotten all about writing it in the first place.
What an absolutely lovely idea!! And your letter is terrific! Thanks so much for passing this along! I can't wait to check it out! ~Janine Xo
Kim said…
I love the idea! It's so easy to forget who you were and what your plans were a year later!