The Awakening

Kristen, a friend that I've known for 30 years, and I were discussing the past and how life has changed over the years. She sent me an email with a poem she wrote and I asked if I could post it on my blog. With her permission....

***********************
As I was cleaning out my desk this weekend, I came across my very first poem I wrote about 10 years ago. It is a very important poem to me and I am so glad I ran across it again as it reminds me that I am okay with who I have become.

The Awakening

I awake from a distorted conscientious dream,
I am no longer blind as to what life seems,

Haunting visions of the past,
How long does torture last,

Realizing the trials that have been since birth
Has contributed to what I am now worth,

I look forth with deep eyes so bold,
What’s my mystic future to hold?


Some who know me may know that I have experienced some dark paths along my way and was lost in life at some points. As I turned my life around and started on a better path, I was always ashamed of my past and one day it hit me - I would not be who I am today if I had not experienced those dark paths. I think it has made me a better person in the long run. I find I am more open and empathetic for others.

I feel sad for people who are so afraid of their own past. I don't think a person can ever gain full happiness unless they are able to embrace their past fully. If a person feels the need to hide their past from the present, then paranoia of people finding out may set in and is not very good for the psyche.

******************

Aleta again... To me, Kristen is a dear friend, just about as close to a sister as I could be fortunate to have. We both have Fontenot lineage and I still believe somewhere down the line, we're 14th or 15th cousins. Lol. She's been a rock in my storms of life and she has a heart of gold. I don't see the dark paths of her life... I guess I've always focused on the light that shines from within her. She made some good points ~ it's good to know and understand where you come from, but it doesn't have to define who you are today. People worry about their past and worry about what people know or don't know about them. (I'm going to come back to that in another post, because it relates to an audio book Greg and I are listening to.)

Thank you, Kristen, for sharing what you have and for being the wonderful friend that you are. *hugs* Earlier this month I attended Kristen's grandfather's funeral service. She gave the eulogy and shared how she would visit her grandfather after school. She spoke of how her grandfather would give lectures and oh, she wanted to find a way to get away quickly from those lectures.. now treasures the memories, because he spoke out of care and concern and with strength of character. When Kristen sat back down in the pews, the afternoon sun softly filtered through the stained glass windows in the church. It left a gentle glow on the audience. Then as the minister spoke of her grandfather's "legacy of love" the church bells rang... I thought, "When you hear a bell, an angel gets its wings." Kristen remarked later than she got chills (the good kind) when the bells rang. It was one of those moments....

Comments

What a beautiful poem, and extraordinarily wise words here...Thank you Aleta! This is a very poignant post! I loved it! ~Janine XO
McVal said…
Very thoughtful post! The poem is great! And Kristen is definitely right. You wouldn't be who you are without the experiences you've gone thru. not that I would wish them on anyone!
Thanks!
Betty Manousos said…
What a meaningful poem! Love it!
And thanks so much for the follow!
I am now following you back!
Have a fantastic day!
Betty x
Grand Pooba said…
Wow! I'm so glad she let you share that with us!
Kerin said…
Something I have come to discover, is that we are all individual spirits!
Just because someone in our family does one thing or another, it does not mean that we are destined to repeat that thing. Good, or bad, ugly or sad. We can make our own life.. drive our own ship. It has been a great thing for me to learn and take to heart.
Fried oreos..huh.. I might try those. No for the pickles..nothing can make them taste better :)
Have a great day!
Kavi said…
Very wise words. very moving too. Thanks for sharing !

:)
septembermom said…
That poem made such an impression on me. Thanks to you and Kristen for sharing that beauty and insight with us today!
Carma Sez said…
sweet of you to share her moving poem with us; a lot of this rings true for me, too; I've spent a lot of time hoping to be someone other than who I am
Kristen said…
Thank you so much for enjoying my poem. And thank you Aleta for getting me into poetry - it is definitely good therapy at times.