New Craft and Saints Game

This past weekend we had a “bring your own project” beading meeting. I agreed with Sally that it was really nice to get together with fellow beaders and do various individual projects. Some of the ladies brought projects where they didn’t know how to finish it or needed help with the next step. It's spending time together that makes it enjoyable!


For me, I didn’t bring a beading project. I didn’t know how many women would show up before the Saints football game (will get back to that later). Fortunately for me, Leigh brought some chopsticks and yarn. I learned how to knit! Yes, using chopsticks. It’s very relaxing once I got into a rhythm. There's wasn't enough yarn to really make something. It was more or less, practice stitching. Here’s my beginner piece that I brought home to show Greg:















Greg said, “Nice. You’re knitting. Are you trying to tell me something? You know what they say about newlywed women and knitting.” I laughed and said, “No, Sweetheart, I’m not pregnant. I’m learning a new craft and eventually would like to learn how to do knit beading to make purses.”


I have to get the knitting stitch down first before I take on a beaded purse, so to give myself a project to work towards, I thought a red scarf would be pretty. I went to Michaels Art Store and found knitting needles and red yarn. Only, I think I got needles a size too big, as you can see the difference in the stitches: (It took me about 30 minutes to do that small section of red, so it's going to be time consuming to complete.)
















It’s ok if the scarf looks a little funny. First projects are meant for that, right? I don’t know if I’ll ever have the patience to make a large project with knitting, but then again, I never thought I’d have the patience to make a lot of the necklaces either. One thing I do know, I like the feeling of knitting and I'd like to learn more :)


Ok, back to the Saints game! The beading meeting was over in time for me to see the kickoff and WOW – what a game! At one point, Greg said, “The Cardinal's quarterback is getting frustrated.” Greg took two pictures with his iphone of the TV screen capturing the "frustrated" expressions.



































Danny (best man at our wedding), Kathy (Danny’s wife) and Ryan (their son) came in town for the game. They had club level tickets for the game. From time to time, Danny would text Greg about the game. I wish I could put what they texted back and forth on my blog, but yeah.. some of it is really bad... I blame it on the raised testosterone from the game.


After the Saints win, Danny and his family went to Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse in New Orleans. Who did they see? Reggie Bush (Saints football player that scored two touchdowns in the game) and his girlfriend, Kim Kardashian. Ryan was able to get some pictures with them. How cool!






































This city is rocking from the win! Yet, at the same time, we’re thinking about next weekend against the Vikings. Geaux Saints! (Unsure of who to give credit for the below picture. It's going around in emails and I thought it was neat.)

Comments

Libby said…
I love crafting with a group! And learning something new..even better!
Libby
A New Yorker said…
sweater....me

my word veri is goblegoo...LMAO
Marisa Birns said…
No, the first of anything doesn't have to be perfect. I mean, my first pancakes always look funny. But they taste great!

Envy anyone who is crafty or learning how to be.

And you already had the chopsticks so you can eat Chinese food after you're done. :)

I always appreciate that you take the time to come over and comment on my blog.

Though it's not as much fun there as it is over here!
Unknown said…
One of these days I am going to have to write a tutorial for spool knitting like I learned from my grandmother. A spool, four nails, a crochet hook and some string and away you go.

It's been a few years since I knitted much - the computer took over. {*grin*}

P.S. I still haven't decided who to root for - Brett or the Saints. There's a lot to be said about old men still playing.
Mama Kat said…
Oh my gosh! That's awesome!! I bet he's on cloud nine!! :)
jules said…
I never learned to knit, but I do crochet. It is a great passtime.

You guys sound like us except of course being from Wisconsin we are all about the Packers...

Good luck with your next game.
Kim said…
I want to learn to knit too! I love that you learned on chopsticks! A red scarf will be fun. It looks great so far! A friend told me that when she teaches beginners she has them go long so that if it's not perfect at the ends you can just add more fringe and no one can tell! How awesome that your friends met Reggie Bush and Kim Kardashian. I love her!
Joanna Jenkins said…
I wish I could knit, but I just couldn't get the hang of it. You look like you have it all figured out :-)

How fun to get pics with the celebrities!

xo
nsiyer said…
Aleta, nice to read your last two posts and see you and Greg having fun and so much in love. May the Almighty always keep you both happy, hale and hearty and shower His choicest blessings.