No Matter What

This year, I wondered if the Christmas spirit would ever come to me. I'm not talking about the buying of gifts or the decorating.... but the JOY of Christmas. You know that certain feeling that this time of the year can bring? It's special. But it eluded me.



















I allowed concerns of regular life to close down on my ability to feel the joy. It was there all along. Isn't that strange? When we want to feel happy and can't, the only person stopping it from happening... well, is ourselves. Life goes on. Things happen. Stuff changes. You roll with the punches, because you don't have an option. What you do have the option is ~ to allow yourself to feel Joy. No matter what.




















I've read blogs where people are going through a heck of a lot worse. And those blogs are uplifting. UpLifting! They are an inspiration. So, bless you, if you happen to saunter over to my blog, thank you for being uplifting no matter your situation. We are in this thing "life" together and when we can help someone else... even in the bloggysphere... what a blessing!


And with that, I'm going to focus on the Joy in life. Greg and Family ~ reasons to smile and know Love. When I was in the "blues" Greg asked me about some favorite Christmas memories. At that time, I told him, "I don't want to think about it." Well, I'm thinking about it now, Sweetheart and thank you for asking...


















Let's see, where to start? It was a tradition to go to Maw Maw's house around/before Christmas Day. I remember one time staying up until midnight so that we could open the gifts immediately. Funny thing is, as children.. staying up until midnight isn't such a good idea, because kids get grumpy. But it was a memory maker! I remember putting on a Christmas play with my cousins on Dad's side. It felt good to make the adults laugh with the story we made up. (Just wish I could recall the plot - I do remember that a chauffeur was involved. Lol.)


When it came to decorations, Dad would turn on the Christmas music. We'd sing and put up the Christmas tree and decorate. And sometimes Dad would mutter a word or two about the outside lights.


My favorite gifts are at my parents' home. One is a doll my grandmother made. I treasured it and never played with the doll. It was something to treat with gentle hands. Whereas, my cousin, Holly, she also had a doll made by our grandmother. Holly saw my doll and said, "Your's in beautiful condition! I carried mine around all the time. The poor thing is ragged." Funny how people enjoy the same thing, but in different ways!
















The other gift, I sure hope is still in my parents' attic. It is a dollhouse. Not the run of the mill plastic pink Barbie home. Nooooo indeed! This is a real dollhouse, made of wood. I remember we were on vacation and found this little shop where the houses were made. Mom and Dad asked if I liked them. I never thought they would get it and certainly couldn't have known that they shipped one back home in time for Christmas. But it was there, Christmas morning, a two-story dollhouse. The picture shows that I'm taller than the house, but when I was young, it felt as though the house towered over me. It was huge! Dad painted the house and put real carpet in the rooms.



















For the past couple of years, my family has come over for Christmas Eve for supper and gift exchanges. This year I don't know if we're going to have the supper at our home or my parents' home. For Christmas Day we go to Greg's parents' home to celebrate and exchange gifts. I'm looking forward to it, to being with family and seeing some friends coming in from out of town.

Do you have any special Christmas traditions? Favorite toys from Christmas?


Joy. No Matter What. That's what makes the difference.

Comments

JudyH329 said…
Lovely story! Christmas memories are the best! It's not even the decorations that matter, it's the people and spirit. Merry Christmas and glad you have the feeling!
Tabitha Bird said…
Oh, that was just lovely. and the photos were so sweet. I am glad you found your Christmas. It took em a while this year too. But I found it. I decided that joy is a choice. a hard one sometimes, but a good one in the end :)

Merry Christmas!
Sorcerer said…
lovely!!

its the spirit thats the core of Christmas

merry Christmas..
Spread the cheer!!


In case you are wondering..how I reached here..
stumbled across :)
A New Yorker said…
Allow yourself to feel what you really are feeling so that it can move through you and then out of you. Masking feelings never ever works. Be true to yourself and don't force things.
♥ Boomer ♥ said…
I love beautiful Christmas memories. As an adult, I recognize the thought that those before me put into making the holiday special and memorable. I, too, choose JOY this holiday season. Thank you for the sweetness in your life, that you share with us.
Kavi said…
The carols in friends homes are what stays with me. And ofcourse all those fattening food and cakes and presents !

life was fun ! Wasnt it !
Libby said…
This posts really helped me! Thanks for sharing your memories! I have felt blue today. I miss the Christmas feeling that I got as a little girl! I need to focus on some good memories and enjoy this day! Thanks!
Merry Christmas!
Libby