Bath or Shower

The following is a guest blog post by Greg. It was inspired after a conversation this afternoon with a good friend. She mentioned that she much prefers baths to showers. Greg was the opposite and hence, a blog post...

Baths,

I’m having a problem remembering growing up taking baths…. Of course being a rough and tumble kid as a toddler I would get cleaned regularly… and I remember baths somewhat … but what TOTALLY eludes me to this date is the actual mechanics of taking a bath. Showers were for grown up kids… and I do distinctly remember being given permission to take my first shower… and taking NOTHING but showers ever since. PERIOD.


As everyone remembers years ago we here in the South were hit by Hurricane Katrina. After weeks of living in a Hotel 11 hours drive North of New Orleans, I made it back home. For one reason or another I didn’t have potable water available… so I had to take a bath in the water I left in the tub in case of hurricanes wash out the water supply and we have nothing to drink. That was Standard Operating Procedure if you live in a Hurricane prone area. Clean your tub, fill it with water. Thanks to the military, less than one block from me they were giving out MRE’s, ice and water and other essentials.

It was HOT. The temperatures were in the 90’s… so after hours of working out in the yard removing branches and whatever I looked forward to the shower. But with VERY questionable city water I decided to take a bath in the water saved in the tub.


These questions may have several answers, but I assure you after all of you answer it… it still will seem wrong to everyone involved unless there is an alternative apparatus to do the job right.

OK So here goes my statements and question….

You fill the tub with water that is a comfortable temperature.

You slowly lower yourself into said water. Your body gets used to the temperature. You wet your body down, get your soap with a towel (optional I guess), and lather up. Of course you need to STAND at some point. I understand that. You are now finished the actual cleaning and scrubbing of all your pieces and parts and assorted crevices….

NOW -


In the water you are in is :

1. Soap

2. Filthy Water



What still needs to be done is:

1. Rinse off with Clean water to remove the nasty water from your body

2. Wash and then rinse your hair

SO here’s the question I put to each of you….



WITHOUT the aid of some fancy hand held shower massage attachment… how do you rinse off the nasty water, how do you wet, wash rinse and repeat when shampooing your hair?



I ask this because not until possibly the early 1900’s did someone have this… Im assuming.


This is just another observation,… and Im not asking a question here…Another thing… temperature…. I used to like my baths HOT. I used to turn the hot water and let it trickle throughout the entire bath process but then my shoulders / butt would be cold and my feet looked like Lobsters ready to eat.


I would appreciate a logical answer.

Thanks
Greg

Comments

Coffeypot said…
We didn’t have a shower in my house growing up and I never had a shower until after my first football practice. After that I would go to school early and take a shower in the locker room before school. I hate baths and I ask mom many times how clean could I be after playing in the woods all day and leaving brown water when I got out. She said the all the dirt was off me and in the water. When I am sick and have a fever, I will soak in a tub of hot water, but that’s it.
Ugich Konitari said…
Buckets ! the obvious solution. Tubs are not usual in our bathrooms, but showers and buckets are. In times when water problems are anticipated, we keep the buckets filled. There is an area in the bathroom where one can stand and pour water over ones self/clean/rinse etc.

I guess things get a bit complicated when you need to stand and bathe in the thing which holds the water that you need.

Most welcome to come to India, Greg and Aleta !
Kavi said…
Like ugich Konitari says, anybody in India will point in the direction of mugs, buckets and bath areas !

We live in water cirisis situations every year. And i guess our lifestyles have gotten adopted accordingly!

Welcome to India ! :)
Lisa said…
You pretty much have to bathe in your own filth, so the level of nastiness depends on how filthy you were when you got in.

As for your hair, you shampoo, then stick your head back in the water and rinse the shampoo directly into the water you're sitting in, then repeat or condition or do whatever. Now you're bathing in a lovely combination of shampoo, conditioner, soap and dirt.

Add a few candles and some mood music and you've got yourself an evening.
Kim said…
You shut your mind off and clean yourself up in the dirty soap water. That's the only way to do it. You can't think about it. And if you absolutely can't shower and the water really is that disgusting, then you grab a cup, fill it up, and dump the water down yourself. Give yourself a much smaller and more obnoxious version of a shower. My biggest issue with baths always seems to be washing my hair. I can't fully see it and it doesn't seem like all of the shampoo/conditioner will come out if it's all still soaking in the water, so how do I wash my hair in the bath? Apparently I've decided that's the most important part of me to clean! :P
Darlene said…
I definitely prefer showers but when hubby and i first were married we rented a place without a shower. I would put a minimal amount of water in the tub and wash my body and shampoo my hair. Then I would pull the plug, turn on the taps and hold my hand where the water would spray all over my body while I was kind of squatting and moving around. Next, I layed down in the tub with my head under the faucet and rinsed out the soap, repeat with the creme rinse. I was SOOOOO glad when we moved and got a shower again!!!!!!!
Theresa said…
Exactly! this is why my tub only gets used after I've had a good shower. Then I can just soak in the bubbles to relax. LOL I do however give my kids baths, but I usually do the washing hair and bodies part while the water is running and employing the use of a shower cup. Then I let the bath tub fill and throw in some toys to let them splash around for awhile. LOL
JudyH329 said…
Hmmm...Seems there's already a few really good responses, so I'll say I enjoyed the post. lol
2Wired2Tired said…
I can't answer that really as I hate baths. I only shower. Although I do give my two toddlers frequent baths because they hate the shower. I wash their hair and soap them up and then drain all the water out and refill the tub with clean water to let them play. I agree that otherwise they would be sitting in a weird combination of dirt, shampoo, and soap. Interesting topic!

By the way, Aleta, there is a an award waiting for you on my blog. Congrats!
A New Yorker said…
Logical Answer? LMAO. I think you take the shower first. Get clean and then to relax you make the bath. Of course spray cleanser first and rinse before making the actual bath. :)
Oh, yeah, baths are not for getting clean. They are for therapeutic purposes only, hair pulled up so as not to get in the water, tub pillow, candles, and maybe a good book if you have one of those book propper upper thingies that lays across the top of the tub. Shower before or after to get clean.

Great topic! :)
GregO said…
Thank you all for your responses... JUST AS I THOUGHT!! Unless you take a shower first.... you will bathe in your own filth.

I love showers... showers rock... but we rarely have a water crisis here... i guess I should consider us very fortunate.

After re-reading my post I see I could have structured it and possibly explained it much better... But I get the idea... I am not missing a step anywhere in my bath procedure that would conclude with my body and hair being as clean as a shower. Thanks
Michelle said…
LOL. Aleta I havent been here in a while.

I only like baths. Resting in teh water is relaxing.

I dont rinse and repeat for one.

But the water isnt terribly dirty anyway. I mean, what are you doing to be that dirty?