Day 9 NaBloWriMo Squirrat

First, I have to give credit where credit is due.... Greg, loving man that he is ~ when I told him about blogging every day for 31 days, he did look like I had lost my mind. When I asked him for some bloggy topics, he surprised me with sharing some topics to write about. I love that he was willing to support me with this! (for example: the blighted homes, something we have talked about and he reminded me - would be a good blog topic as well)... here's another topic he suggested:

Squirrels vs Rats, the "Cute Vs Eww" factor. I'm sure the recent backyard issue had something to do with the suggestion of this topic. I was outside with the grass cutting guy, talking to him about killing weeds. All of a sudden Nick's eyes got HUGE and he said, "DID YOU SEE THAT?! DID YOU SEE THAT?!" I saw something scamper away, but couldn't make it out. He said, "It was a RAT! Living in the bird house on the fence!"

I only had to tell Greg that once and away went the Katrina birdhouse. Darn... that was a bird house made out of Katrina wood (from the fences in the neighborhood). Guess that serves me right for keeping anything Katrina related after doing the blighted blog post.

But back to the topic... Who likes squirrels? Greg said, "It's the tail for sure" that makes the difference, otherwise they are both rodents. (When Roda first came to the States, she saw a squirrel and thought it was a rat! hehe) Of course, the difference is squirrels each nuts and fruits and the other kind eats garbage. Yucko.

But here's one for you, Honey... it's called a "Rat-Squirrel" - kid you not! (Maybe they should call it a Squirrat?) It has the face of a rat and the tail of a skinny squirrel. Found living in central Laos. They thought this species was extinct for 11 million years.








I used to think Squirrels were cute until they snipped the Hibiscus flowers right off the bush and took off. They did it too ALL the blooms, plus they eat all the fruits in the trees, hulling out the inside and leaving a round shell... and they chase the birds. Grrrrr.... Rats, Squirrels - where are the outside cats when you need them?

Comments

I wonder if that Squirrat is like that Scrat thingy from Ice Age?

My hubby couldn't stop laughing his head off in the movies when we saw Scrat running from those icicles. It was embarassing to sit next to him. He was LOSING it!
Darlene said…
Oh YUCK a rat living in the bird house???? EEEEK! That rat squirrel still looks too much like a rat to think it looks cute at all!!!!
high over happy said…
Sounds like I need to get my husband to give me ideas for Nablowrimo :) I don't what to write for today's post!
Peggy said…
My husband would love your husband. Unfortunately he can't shoot things in the backyard where we live.
Helen Ginger said…
We used to have a hammock on our deck, until the squirrel tore it to shreds. We threw the remaining tatters away. The squirrel invited a wife to join him. We have a bird feeder out front. The squirrels enjoy the food. One likes to scramble across the roof, climb down the wall and onto the window screen in my office and stare in at me. Don't let anyone tell you squirrels can't laugh.

Helen
Straight From Hel
Kimberly said…
Dang IT! Crazy Sister stole my comment!

I like squirells. I have an awesome recipe for squirell salad on tomatoe basil bread.
septembermom said…
Anything even remotely looking like a rat while have me running for the hills! Fun post :)
Lisa said…
I think The Plague might have bred an inherent queasiness about rats into the human race. The only people who survived it were the ones who already had a deep distrust of all things rat. They handed down this distrust to all of us.
A New Yorker said…
The squirrat. that's funny...hurry and get your shot for the squirrat flu...I can so hear the outcry.
Pamela said…
Oooh.. I want a squirrat! It's adorable.

And I think he's right - it's definitely the tails. Bushy is much better than stringy!
Unknown said…
wow funny! Stopping in from SITS
Rispa Frances said…
And there I was, thinking that squirrels are quite cute! Well, the tail is, anyway. Not too sure about the face, have to admit! What a lovely story!
♥ Boomer ♥ said…
Eeeeeeek!

Hey, Aleta! I would LOVE for you to try 55 next Friday. I know you could EASILY tell a story in 55 words!! It's easier than you think.
Dan Berger said…
I think in a way squirrels are actually worse than rats. Rats are at least pretty much as advertised. Squirrels dupe people into thinking they're good people and then do all manner of nonsense like robbing birdfeeders blind. Evil!
I hear you on the squirrels! They destroyed so many of my plants when we lived in the city. Evil little things they are. Grrrrrr... BUT, we moved into the country and for some bizarre reason we have NO squirrels but across the road they have black ones. It's like I'm in a No Squirrel Zone. BAHAHAHAHA It's SO wonderful:)
Lora said…
There is a squirrel who lives in the tree in front of my house (it's a townhome) who throws acorns at people, pets...and it's favorite target, the cars. Especially if it's a pickup truck backed into the space. Oy!
Holly said…
Just like "Crazy Sister", the first thing I thought of was Scrat from Ice Age as well! Of course, he's my favorite part of all the Ice Age movies!