Day 7 NaBloWriMo Unconditional

Unconditional

*warning… this post will jump around some. It’s hard to share something and make sense when you can’t give specifics and details. I hope you’re able to muddle through this and come out with something of value. And an additional warning, it's not a post of the pleasant kind. (This is a true story and not about anyone I've blogged about in the past.)


I love a monster. I have since I was a child, only I didn’t know he was a monster then. I trusted him. He never harmed me and all that I can remember as a child is good memory stuff. I will continue to love this monster for the rest of my life. It’s a weird feeling now though, because reality rears an ugly head.

There's no justification for what he's done. There's no reasoning to make it go away or explain it. For the past five years my family tried to help, it didn't make a difference in his mindset. Mom said she tried to be a good role model, what an adult should understand about society, but some people hang on to their behaviors like a child to a favorite toy, a sign of insecurity.

I refuse to believe a person is born this way, to do what he did. I looked into his childhood and I know it (the reason for his behavior) is somewhere in there. As a child, he was told that he couldn't do for himself, made to feel weak and that society owes him.

Society owes him...

I don't figure society owes me, except for some things that are often taken for granted, freedom, equitable treatment, due process.... but society Owes him, because he's different.

No, I dare not go into the details. I told myself I wouldn't and I promised my family; I can't break that promise. Yes, this post is vague, but I’m offering as much as I can. And still I’m taking a chance, because those who know the situation could be upset with me sharing this.

Because my parents took on the burden for the past 5 years, I have gone through this with them. To a much lesser degree, but I’m there with them, hurting for them, understanding the situation, supporting my parents, all of this turmoil because of him. Yet another lesson my parents have taught me, you help someone, even and especially in the lowest moments, when they need it the most, when you don’t even know if it’s right to help, but you do it with all your heart.

I'm spoiled, you see. I come from a loving, normal, happy childhood with parents who are still married and in a couple of years will reach the golden milestone of marriage. That's not to say I lead a great life after childhood, but I learned how to trust and I learned that trust makes you very vulnerable. I also learned that judging someone can often smack you in the face.

Maybe he never learned trust and defied society's rules. He created a self-tailored bubble world where, "if it feels right, it can't be wrong." (Lord, if that is right, chocolate can never be wrong... someone tell my tummy that.)

Society has come crashing down on the bubble. He's on his way to a very small room with a lock. And I still love him. I'm angry at him. Angry because actions can be controlled. Angry because I feel like he throttled the breath of memory, of my childhood memories with him, and tossed them into the garbage. Angry because somehow society messed up.

After all, if society claims the power to define and judge, society is equally responsible for the childhood that ruined his life in the end. We all failed him. And I still love him.

Understanding is no longer an option, because it happened and I can't wash away his past and his actions. Judgment is not for me to determine; peers have done so. I'm realizing I can never be in a jury. I wouldn't want to judge someone. It's the pearly gates and closets of my own mistakes, which tells me not to judge.

I'd rather leave judgment to God and if He can forgive and still love, shouldn't I be able to and allowed to as well?

Comments

Anonymous said…
this is beautifully written.
Kimberly said…
Tammie is right, it is beautifully written, but the message is clear. No matter what caused the situation, forgiveness is difficult and can't always be. Though one must meet their own maker in the end, in all justs, you must face yourself, and if you can't then why should others?

This made me think of many things.
Lisa said…
Wow, that was very moving. You expressed what you are feeling so well, while staying as vague as you need to be. I am so sorry about what you are going through.
Helen Ginger said…
Aleta, this is a moving post. Those of us out here in the blogosphere can't do much more than say that we felt what you were saying. I'm sorry you're going through this. Hang in there.

Helen
Straight From Hel
Aleta said…
I just wanted to drop in and say, 'Thank you'... for understanding that I can't give out the details, but for feeling the emotions. It's cathartic writing. Helped to let go of the pressure cooker feelings.
septembermom said…
Aleta, this post is so clearly written from your heart. Very moving. I do hope that writing this post helps you in a very real way. Forgiveness is not always so simple, but trying is the first step.
larkswing said…
I agree with the other commenters - well written and so true on the forgiveness. It reminds me of the situation with my husbands sister - she was murdered by her husband and he now lives in a small room with a lock. We have said and felt that we forgave. But as we hear that he is requesting his sentence of 13 years to be shortened, there are moments of anger. Where is there justice, how does one meld the feelings of love and family that were there with this tragic ending? Your post was a great way of releasing those feelings you have. No details necessary.
Jennifer Haas said…
Just visiting over from SITS. Very moving post, great work!!!
Holly said…
There are things that are unforgiveable. It may be different things for different people. There may be some people that can forgive everything. Not being able to forgive something you consider to be unforgiveable isn't wrong - it is human. If it is unforgiveable to you, the important thing is learning to deal with it, and forgive yourself for not being able to forgive.

Understanding is a totally different bucket of stuff. I spend almost every single day not understanding a whole lot of things - things right in my own home, and plenty of things out in the world. To find understanding in something very much out of society's norms would be more than difficult for most people.

Forgiving/not forgiving, understanding/not understanding - none of that matters when it comes to loving unconditionally. Most people will never, ever have to test their ability to love unconditionally. And if tested, most will find they do have conditions, they just never realized it. Loving unconditionally takes great strength, and a very strong sense of self. You should stay focused on how very special your family is for being able to give this support, still feel this love, for someone who has obviously gone beyond the bounds of trust.

Best of luck as you find your way through this.
Analisa said…
Release what is hard. The resentment. Remember the One who loved us all before we deserved it and ask him. How did you do it? How do you still do it everyday when we don't give you the time, attention or love you deserve. It makes it easier when we find out we are not called to love to the death like Jesus was. Just give him the burden,pray for your parents and for his full recovery. Responsiblity for our actions is the only way we are ever saved from anything. When it comes to him and it will he will be on the road to recovery.
Rispa Frances said…
What a touching and moving and beautifully written post. Best of luck with going through this.
Joanna Jenkins said…
Sending prayers and hugs.
xo
high over happy said…
Tough one. It's possible to tell yourself not to judge except, when it affects your loved ones, you naturally become protective. But forgiveness will usually be followed by acceptance, followed by peace in yourself :)
Unknown said…
Well written. I just hope you and your parents give only what is available and don't get hurt.
Hart Johnson said…
This was so moving. I'm like you... people don't get 'unloved' because they make poor decisions or choices (or perhaps have an inexplicable disconnect in their brains), but it can be sad and hard to love them anyway.

I wish all of your family healing.
♥ Boomer ♥ said…
Beautiful, Aleta. And I'm so glad you have a sweet man loving you through whatever you must work through. You are such a gentle soul. Angels around you.