Day 26 NaBloWriMo Memory Lane

I thought I'd take you on a trip down memory lane.

I only have one sibling, my brother, Rob. He's so going to fuss at me after he reads my blog. Maybe I'll be lucky and he'll miss this post. He's always saying I share TMI. The joys of having a sister, yes? (And I know I’m in big trouble, because YES, I’m posting childhood pictures. Hehe. Below picture is when I was baby. Rob is holding me. Awww. Of course, Mom would tell the story of how I was a quiet baby until she’d suddenly hear me cry and know Rob left his teeth marks on my fingers. That’s a brother’s love for you!)
















Ok, so on to the childhood story. Rob and I used to fight every.single.day. In fact, I specifically remember the first time we didn't fight. We were living on Green Acres Road (yes, that was the name of my early childhood street). We were sitting at the kitchen table and we actually had a lengthy conversation about NOT fighting that day. We were amazed by the fact. Funny how memories like that stick in your mind.


















Sorry, I digressed, that wasn't the memory I meant to share. I could share the memory of when I left the dent on Rob's forehead, but nooooo, let's not go there. AH, yes, here's a good one:
















Rob and I used to love playing Photon. Do you know that game? Where the kids put on these heavy helmets and equipment around your body. You were given a laser tag gun and had to hit someone on the helmet or center of the chest equipment with the beam. You'd walk down a ramp, neon lights would start to flash, eerie music wrapped around the room and the smell of fake fog filtered through... a countdown 5.4.3.2.1 and dash off to hunt the opponents through a dark labyrinth. When you laser zapped someone, a cool sound went off in your helmet and the opponent had a red light on them. Rob and I were always on the same team. I have to admit; we knew how to work the maze. Rob was always a great strategist.















I forgot to mention something about Photon. It was expensive! We were young teens and didn't have much for money. Yet we LOVED that game. One weekend we really wanted to play, but our parents didn't want to hear about how much it cost.

Rob pulled me aside and whispered, "Watch this!" He had that "look" in his eye, you know, mischief! He grabbed a jar of coins and said, "Follow my lead." He went to the kitchen table, where our parents were sitting... shook the jar to empty out a bunch of pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters. He started to pick them up, one by one.. counting them…slowly counting... I did the same. We did this for a few minutes and Rob said, "We might have enough for Photon. Keep counting."

There was a LOT of coins to count. Then I heard Dad say, "Oh for Pete's Sake, just take the money and GO!" He held two twenties in his hand. Rob grabbed the cash and I was in TOTAL AMAZEMENT. I did the "hands in the air" to him.

Of course, many years later, I told my parents about it and Mom said, "I KNEW we were being played. But your Dad caved." Too funny.





















Ahhh, one more quick trip, if you don't mind. And when I say, "trip" I do mean it.

One time while playing Photon...... just keep in mind that it was almost totally dark except for the neon lights. I was running fast, trying to get away from someone chasing me in the maze. I was looking forward, but didn't see the waist high block in front of me. I ran straight into it.

All I remember was flipping and then thinking, "Can I feel everything?" My brother was at my side, yelling, asking if I was OK. I remember wondering why he looked so concerned. Rob took me to the center of the maze where he told me to stay there (it was a safe area in the game) and repeatedly came back to me to make sure I was OK. I didn't think anything of it until I later overheard someone saying, "Did you see that girl? She flipped upside down and landed on her neck!"

Then I remembered where I was and how far Rob had been ahead of me and how fast he had to move through the maze to get to me, to make sure I was OK... and how he was always checking on me. That's my brother for you.

So, Rob, if you DO read this, Love Ya! No matter how often we did the sibling rivalry thing, I couldn’t ask for a better brother!

Comments

A New Yorker said…
This just goes to show that some families can survive the fighting with maturity. Sadly my brother and I fought like nuts...but in my family my mother always told my brother and me how mean I was (the older sister) and so my brother to this day just cannot get over the crap we did to each other as kids, is still living it in his pathetic mind and we have no relationship because of it. It's nice to see the proper relationship here on your blog. I hope my kids have it better than I did and work as a team like you did that day.
RGB said…
That's a very sweet post. It just goes to say that sibling rivalry is very much part of the sibling bonding. I have an elder sis (we're just 1 year apart) and we used to fight like hell, but patch up the very next minute and talk to each other till the sun goes down. Even now we share a special relationship, the distance don't count.
septembermom said…
You guys were a great team! It's fun to look back at those childhood quarrels and adventures with a grin and a laugh. Those early relationships and experiences do make a lasting impact on our lives. Lovely pictures of you two as kids!
Helen Ginger said…
Ahh, the ending made me tear up. So sweet.

I had all sisters and we fought like wildcats. But we're friends now. I wish we all lived closer together.

Helen
Straight From Hel
JudyH329 said…
I know about having a brother. There were actually 4 of us, but there were on 16 months between me and my brother, while 5 and 8 years between me and my sisters. I have a good relationship with all, it's just a closer bonding with my brother. We were reversed though, I'm the oldest. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment.
Anonymous said…
I had three siblings and we were all born within six years. Three of us were in high school at the same time. Yeah, we fought and competed, but are very close today.

Stephen Tremp
Lisa said…
What a sweet post, and I hope your brother does read it. Even if it bugs him! Your relationship with your brother sounds exactly like mine. My brother is just a year younger than I am, though. It was the same thing. We fought every single day until one day we didn't. And then we were friends. We always had each others' backs and we remain close to this day. As long as we don't talk politics. :)
The Forscheins said…
Great story and beautiful pictures to accompany it! I'm really enjoying your "post every day in October".
Unknown said…
As someone else who only has one sibling, I am surprised. I always thought the only purpose of having a sibling was to fight. {*grin*}

Given that my brother and I are very different and shared a room while growing up, I am always amazed we never killed each other. On the other hand, I remember the times when I was in graduate school and I'd get a late night call from him more than a 1000 miles away saying he'd be there the next day - he had something he needed to talk about. Now that we are both old married souls, such oddities happen a lot less often. Instead I'm likely to get the call from his son and he is from mine.

Let's hear it for solo siblings!
Trixie said…
Haha, cute pictures. Have to love sibling rivalry. I think we all go through it.
♥ Boomer ♥ said…
That is so sweet, Aleta! sniff ♥♥♥
Coffeypot said…
Thank you for coming by and commenting on my site. As for your story, my brothers would have called me a dumb ass and ran off to finish the game. No support from them - ever. But now they are dead and I'm not. I got the last laugh.
Joanna Jenkins said…
Great story-- And the pictures are priceless.
Thank you!
xo
Carma Sez said…
You guys share a wonderful bond.

And there is no way my dad would have caved. Never. Ever!
Deepa said…
a precious post! I've always wanted a big brother who'd look out for me!
Tracie Nall said…
Great pictures!! I love the sweet (and not so sweet) memories! You are making me want to go play some Photon now!! And the counting the coins very slowly was awesome!!
Holly said…
So there is hope for Mikaela & Parker one day to get along and 'love each other' as my father says? :-) I keep giving them the "only brother (or sister) you'll ever have" speech, but it is still falling on deaf ears at this point.