Day 25 NaBloWriMo Candle Making

Kim, a friend that I’ve known since the 7th grade, is a crafty gal. She’s the culprit of my craft endeavors. (Other than jewelry making, which is a craft I taught her, hehe) Before my wedding, Kim was learning how to make candles with soy. She has the process just about perfected!

Yesterday I went to her home; Kim put up with my camera taking tendencies so that I could blog about the experience. (Thank you, Kim!)


First, you start off with soy. For Kim, she has a 50 pound bag of it!















We put double-sided stick ‘ems on the wick so that the wick stays at the bottom where you place it.
















Put the soy in a measuring cup and microwave it. First for about a minute, then 35 seconds, another 35 seconds, etc….















Each time you take it out of the microwave, you want to stir it with a wooden stick or plastic spoon until it is liquid.















Then, the delicious part, you get to add scents! Be generous – this is where the candle will keep the scent for a long, long time.














Wicks are in the glasses















Pour in the soy















Important! If you want a different color, add the color first and THEN the scent

















































After the wax has cooled or even before, you can glue decorations on, such as a cross or Fleur de Lis or Christmas items!


It’s a lot of fun! Makes great gifts for Christmas, Kris Kringles, Teacher’s Gifts, etc.

Comments

Holly said…
Interesting. I took candlemaking decades ago as a teenager in 4-H.

Is there any particular reason she uses soy? I mean, I've heard all the pro-soy arguements such as

- 100% natural (it isn't, all sorts of chemicals are added to soy beans to get it to form a wax like substance - even more are added to get it to hold a scent)

- no soot (false - all organic compounds will emit soot - it is a byproduct of incomplete combustion of any carbon based organic compound)

- parafin is toxic (false, it is an approved additive to food by the FDA)

- only soy is biodegradable (false, studies have shown beeswax paraffin and vegetable-based wases are all biodegradable

I just wonder if there is some other reason she uses soy. Is it cheaper? Does it have different properties than parrafin or beeswax?
Holly said…
Oh, well, come to think of it, I suppose soy supports farms, right! :-) But I'm wondering about the properties of the wax. Soy seems so soft - can you make non-container candles of soy? Like pillar candles?
Aleta said…
Hi Holly :) I like your questions! Actually, the reason she prefers soy is because it's cheaper and she said that it melts quicker in the microwave. She's tried standard wax but wasn't as satisfied with the time that it took. Soy is quick and easy. I don't know if she can make a pillar candle. I suppose she could, if she had a mold... but it IS really soft. Hmmm..
Rashikaps said…
Awesome post! You make it sound so simple.. :)
Aleta said…
It really is, Rashipkaps! It's not difficult. Kim has it down to a science. :) There are more pictures on my Picasa site too in the Oct2009 file.
septembermom said…
Wow! That's cool. It does look easy. Thanks. I may try this with the kids. I think they'll enjoy it.
Lisa said…
That looks so fun and easy. I might have to try that.
♥ Boomer ♥ said…
Made candles a long time ago. This might inspire me to try it again. LOVE the scents you can use!!
Kim said…
I love it! I am not a crafty person at all but this totally looks like something I could handle! And I love that I could make them in different colors and different scents! Or for gifts for the holidays...definitely a great gift idea!
Anonymous said…
Aleta,

There are several reasons for the soy.

1. It is a single melt pour
2. It burns cleaner than other waxes and cleans up only with hot water. You do not have to "dig" anything out.
3.As for the price your are incorrect soy is more expensive than other waxes.
4. No you can not use it for pillar candles due to the soft nature.
5. Other waxes you have to pour in two stages to prevent sinking and caving in.

KRL
Aleta said…
Thanks for the info, Kim. I guess I figured it was cheaper, but then you bought in bulk, which helps with the price. :)