Day 21 NaBloWriMo Father Ken Ritter

When I wrote about Greg's class reunion and meeting a lot of new people, I was very happy to see Father Ken again. This is one of Greg's friends that he has kept in touch with throughout the years. Father Ken married us. During the class reunion, I asked Father Ken about his nomination as one of the bishop candidates for the Episcopal faith.

I was curious about the process. Father Ken spoke about how he will meet with the clergy and lay members of the diocese. They will have already read his biography and how he answered the questions given to each candidate. The clergy and lay members will further question his views. Because there are six candidates, it will likely take time and back and forth meetings and interviews and questions before the group narrows it down to two people and the final vote. It isn't an easy "vote" process as one would think.

I have to admit that the first couple of lines of his bio had me smiling, to read that Father Ken's favorite movie is Forrest Gump. I can picture Father Ken laughing and enjoying the movie. (Not to sound rude but some priests are sticks in the mud, whereas, Father Ken has a sense of humor and this helps a lot when you relate to people.)

Father Ken wrote, "I'd rather see headlines about the Episcopal Church making a difference in people's lives in Louisiana rather than what divides our church at present!" Greg reminds me every day that we need to look at the positive things in our life. Our views shape the outcomes – make a difference, not find a division.

While talking with Father Ken, I could sense his wish to serve the community ~ that it's about helping people and bringing them together. It's not political; it's about helping each other within the wings of faith. So many times people get caught up in the politics; Father Ken isn't like that.

He is an open-minded person and strong in his faith. He's not an extremist either left or right. I've often said, "Extremes can be dangerous." To bring together, you have to know the middle ground and meet people there.

Father Ken is native to our Southern area. He KNOWS what life was like pre and post Katrina. He has participated in renovating homes for those in need; he understands the area and our tendencies and can better minister to us for that reason. And (smiles) he's an LSU and Saints fan!

What Father Ken concluded with his questionnaire... sure makes a lot of sense:

"Some would speculate that being a bishop is no "fun" at all - especially these days. I don't think that has to be the case. I believe that God equips those whom He calls and sustains them. One can often find fulfillment and joy in simply doing the work that God has given one to do - even as a bishop! Do I "want" to be a bishop? I assure you, "want" is not what brings me to this point. I am quite comfortable and enjoy being a parish rector, as I am at present. I am, however, attempting to be faithful to a small, persistent voice that has been with me for some time now. Louisiana has been and is my physical and spiritual home...."

Father Ken is a good man, an excellent example of a religious leader and I wish I could vote for him. I don't have that ability, so this is my vote, Father Ken:

What makes a good religious leader? I think it's the struggle, it's daily, to do right in their owns lives while helping their parishioners just as much if not more. It takes someone who aspires to be an active participant and who takes responsibility for his own development as well as that of the congregation as a whole. Someone who has a deep love of Christ and a strong sense of family and community. Someone who speaks directly to you, not at you or above you, but to you and understands life in this day and age. It takes a leader who affirms to individuals who they are in Christ and leaves them feeling Christ's influence rather than his own.

Father Ken has those qualities. God bless you!

Now.... hmmm... I'll have to hear the story about the gator chasing you up a tree one day!

Comments

septembermom said…
"It takes a leader who affirms to individuals who they are in Christ and leaves them feeling Christ's influence rather than his own."

Wonderfully said Aleta! That is the true measure of a great religious leader and ultimately, friend.
Anonymous said…
Father Ken sounds like a wonderful man who has truly found his calling. The world needs more "middle ground" people to unite all of us.
Unknown said…
I just wanted to stop by b/c I saw your comments on Martinis or Diaper Genie's blog...and noted you are from NOLA....so am I! But sadly I don't live there anymore. We moved to Kansas 5 years ago (my husband is from up here). I miss my New Orleans!

Anyway, just wanted to say hello from another native!
Helen Ginger said…
Your description of a good religious leader sounds good to me.

Helen
Straight From Hel
Unknown said…
Just blog hopping from the SITS roll call. Your blog is wonderful - love the layout and the fleur graphics.

Sounds like you and the others in Father Ken's parish are lucky to know him. There needs to be more leaders like him who encourage people rather than push them away.
M.E. Greene said…
Hi Aleta! Thanks for visiting my blog. Thought I'd peek in and say hello here on yours, as well. Have a fabulous evening!

-Marie
CB said…
Father Ken sounds like a truly wonderful man. I am so glad he has had such a wonderful influence on your life.

My husband is the Bishop of our church and while it is time consuming (in our religion Clergy also hold their regular full time jobs in addition to their church service), sometimes heart breaking (so many people in need), there are also so many wonderful blessings that we see. It truly is wonderful to be in the Lord's service :D

God Bless you both and Father Ken!
Holly said…
Father Ken sounds like a wise man. I hope that if being a bishop is really where he should be, then by all means, I hope he is choosen. If he isn't, it sounds as if he is doing wonderful things right where he is, as a parish rector.