Day 20 NaBloWriMo 30Yr Reunion

Have you attended a high school reunion?


I haven’t. I keep in touch with friends that I care about throughout the years and I'm extremely fortunate for such long lasting quality friendships. FB has helped to reconnect with some and made me realize that I don't need to reconnect with others. I'm not into the "one-up-manship” vibe. Some friends have gone to the our high school reunions and stated, "The kids who were catty back in the day are still catty and cliquish. Not much as changed


















That said, I attended a high school reunion this past weekend, but it wasn't mine. It was Greg's 30 year high school reunion ~ St. John Vianney Prep '79. This is the first time that Greg attended his reunions, not for the reasons I stated above, but rather because he moved around a lot and was never in town for the previous reunions.

It was really nice. The guys were sincere and there was a commardery amongst them, none of the catty attitudes that come with co-ed schools. You could tell the men wanted to know that everyone was doing well. There was a certain light in their eyes, which spoke with sincerity. When many of them told Greg that they missed him at the other reunions and wanted to keep in touch, I believed them. How refreshing; how nice. I'm so glad that Greg went and I was glad to share in it as well. This is how reunions should be!















Another part that I liked was hearing "stories" of Greg's past. Stuff he might not have ever shared with me? hehe. It was cute. They talked about childhood antics, such as taking a pier apart.. and oh my gosh, a bunch of stuff they did on a Senior Retreat that costs them their Senior Trip! They were ticked at the time, I'm sure, but they could laugh about it now. I could see the various personalities as they talked about the past ~ the class clown, the tough guys, the quiet types. It was priceless!

I also heard about the "little brothers" and what happened when they became Seniors. Each Senior was assigned a "little brother" (a freshman, I believe, whatever the newest class to come into the school). The Little Brother was assigned to them by the school and each senior told the little brothers what to do for one week. It was an initiation into the school.















There were rules, such as: you couldn't hurt the little brother, had to be done on school grounds, couldn't involve drugs, alcohol (of course), couldn't make the little brother late for class, etc. In other words, the initiation was still under the guidance and eyes of the school, yet it made it fun and a memory maker. Some of the little brothers were made to wear a dress all week. Some Seniors dug trenches across the ground and made the little brothers crawl through the mud while the Seniors threw water balloons and flour on them. It sounded harmless and the guys laughed a lot. I thought, "Hmm, definitely a guy's school. It was given and taken in good humor. No hurt feelings."

Just as we were getting ready to leave, I asked Greg if I could take some pictures. You know me, Aleta the Shutterbug, I'm always carrying a camera, even in a little black purse. I would have bought the honeymoon camera, but it's bulky and they would have thought I was a nerd. (I love that Nikon D90! Takes SUCH good pictures.) Unfortunately, my little pink camera wasn't too clear, but it was all that I had...

Pat, one of the guys who organized the reunion, rounded up the classmates. As I was taking the picture, one of the guys started singing their school alma mater and the group joined in. About mid way through I was able to get the record feature on the camera going. The picture is a little dark, but the light gets turned on right towards the end. I thought it was just too cute!

Comments

Jen's Farmily said…
I think finding out the stories would be the best part!! ;)
Not Hannah said…
Sounds like a blast...sorta makes me wish Will's high school wasn't in this town, where I know his experience was blech.
Debbie said…
I have been to two and enjoyed them thoroughly. Of course, I only recognized a handful of people.
septembermom said…
I've never been to a reunion. I always wondered what stories would come up. Glad that you and Greg had fun! Great stories.
Lisa said…
Sounds like it was a great time! I went to my 10th and it was ok. I didn't go to my 20th because I lived far away and now with FB I feel like I never need to go to another one!
Kavi said…
Sounds like one heck of a reunion ! Hmm. Loved reading this..
Helen Ginger said…
Sounds like you both had fun. I think it would be much more fun to go to someone else's reunion than my own!

Helen
Straight From Hel
Tabitha Blue said…
That sounds like a great school... and a fun reunion! Glad it went so well :) Oh and love the look of your blog! :)
Carma Sez said…
Sweet that they were so happy to see Greg at the reunion and missed him at the past reunions.

Yeah, I bet a school of all guys is a lot less catty than a co-ed one.

Our school was large and I doubt anyone noticed that I never attended any of my reunions :D
Mari said…
What a nice reunion. My 30 year reunion was last year and I'm like you. I still see the ones I want to see, but don't need the cliques! I'm glad you were able to enjoy this one!
Never would I ever attend my reunion. I'd maybe come in a super hero costume and spray them all down with a hose but that's about it.
I havn't attended any reunions either, just as you say, but I sure love what facebook has done for reconnections in the last few months!
Grand Pooba said…
An all boys school? Thats so weird! How did they have school dances?
Aleta said…
Grand Pooba - I'll let Greg handle that question but keep in mind... it was a school in preparation to become a Priest.
Aleta said…
None whatsoever, Sweetheart. You KNOW I'm happy ;-) I could give TMI, but I'll behave myself!
2Wired2Tired said…
I've never been to my or my husband's reunions. I don't think my class has ever had one, which is so weird if you ask me. And my husband has only had one and we were going to go but then something came up.

Sounds like you had a great time and makes me look forward to the day our classes decide to reunite.
Unknown said…
Yep. And even the 35th. These are the good years because we haven't started deeply down the mortality curve. Sometime after the 45th, it seems that the reunion becomes more and more about who is still alive and healthy.

When I was in college, I was lucky enough to help serve some 50 and 60 year class reunions. Some great stories and great perspectives.
Anonymous said…
it sounds like a great time was had.

ive never been to any of my reunions either but ive heard the same thing you have--the jerks are still jerks, the snobs are still snobs, and so on.
Kim said…
I've never been to a class reunion and don't have one coming up for another couple of years, but it sounds like you had a lot of fun! I definitely agree with you on the cattiness of girls. What is it with us? Seriously guys can get together and everyone plays nice but with girls somehow drama is created. I've even got a couple of old friends from high school on my facebook page but hidden bc while I didn't want to be rude and deny them having them on my facebook page just isn't a positive thing for me. Girls! I'd rather dig trenches and throw water balloons! Sounds like you had fun!
Holly said…
Hmmmm, my 30th should have been this year as well - but never heard a thing about it.

Sounds like you guys had a fun time though - happy to hear that!