Day 18 NaBloWriMo Meet Sophia and Kayla

"You don't really understand human nature unless you know why a child on a merry-g-round will wave at his parents every time around - and why his parents will always wave back." William D. Tammeus



























The other weekend, we were fortunate that one of our friends invited us to share her birthday and family with us. I've written about Sally and Bruce in the recent past when they introduced me to their son and daughter-in-law. Sally's birthday was on October 11th. This time, I had the joy of meeting their daughter and her children. I'll say this much, Sally and Bruce make beautiful, spirited kids and have beautiful, happy grandchildren!!


Greg is wonderful with kids. He claims the reason is because, "he never grew up." He has such a loving heart and happy, trusting nature, children go to him automatically. Here he is playing a magic trick with Sophia.
































"It's not only children who grow. Parents do too. As much as we watch to see what our children do with their lives, they are watching us to see what we do with ours. I can't tell my children to reach for the sun. All I can do is reach for it, myself." Joyce Maynard


Ria, Sally's daughter, said, "People think I'm strict. They say I'm horrible for not letting my kids eat the Halloween candy. They can trick or treat, but I'll take the candy. Some people think I'm mean, because my children have a bedtime. It's not a treat for my kids to stay up until midnight! They cry because they are tired. I don't care if someone wants to raise their kids differently. This is how I raise my kids." I liked Ria's spirit. She doesn't care if it's "not in style" or people don't agree. She's going to do what she believe in and that gives me a lot of hope for future generations.

"Parents often talk about the younger generation as if they didn't have anything to do with it." Haim Ginott

Friends of mine have kids and they leave all the decisions in the child's hands - and I mean this Literally! I'm flabbergasted by this. My parents made the rules and we followed, because we learned respect. Ria is teaching her 2 year old daughter by following up the answer with "sir" and "ma'm." It's a respect thing. Once a child learns to respect others, respecting herself/himself follows suit and that leads to a stronger personality and moral character.


Here, Greg is holding Kayla. Isn't she a sweetie? I told Mom about the pictures I took and she immediately said, "Greg would make a great Dad." Ok, ok.... we're working on it, promise! (wink, wink)



















And to end this on a funny note.... a quote from Ria. She was walking into the girls' room, where they were sleeping and quietly put something down. She came back saying, "Sophia could hear a butterfly's fart! She's awake." I busted out laughing! Butterfly's Fart... LOVE IT!

Comments

The Forscheins said…
What a great post! The kids have grown up SO much!! I last saw them in February when Kayla was just a newborn.
Wish I could have been there to celebrate with you guys!!!
Greg does look like a total natural holding Kayla and playing with Sophia.
Holly said…
You guys will make great parents one day.

Restrictions. Amazing how many parents don't restrict their children in any fashion.

I recently got our daughter a cell phone. She is 14. Limited minutes (700 shared with me on my plan) and limited texting (250 texts a month). One parent actually asked me why I got her a limited texting plan. I chomped down hard on my tougue before the words "what the fuck business is it of yours?!?!" sprewed out of my mouth, because that is what was going through my brain. Instead, I explained that ALL children need to learn to restrict themselves, because even as adults we have to control ourselves. It's much better for them to learn with baby steps as children. After all, when she moves out, she is on her own cell phone plan, and I doubt she'll be able to afford unlimited minutes and texting while she's in college. Better for her to learn to control herself now, than after 4 years of having no restrictions. I explained we have restrictions and controls everywhere in our life - why shouldn't children? I then gave the analogy that there is a speed restriction on the highway - we can't drive as fast as we want. he still argued that THEIR daughter has an unlimited plan and that he would NEVER get her a limited plan. I think I just said "good for her" and left it at that. Another shining example of why today's kids are out of control.
Theresa said…
What cute pics! I like their parenting style. Even though I DO let my kids eat halloween candy and OCCASIONALLY stay up a little late, I respect their choice to do it differently and for having the self-discipline that is necessary for parents to be consistent. Great Post!
Travis Erwin said…
Wonder if it would smell like nectar?
septembermom said…
What a beautiful post! The pictures are great and the quotes are wonderfully chosen :)
Kavi said…
Butterfly fart ! LOL !!!