Day 15 NaBloWriMo Metal Etching

Metal Etching ** NOTE ** THIS IS NOT A "HOW TO" POST *** I DON'T HAVE ALL STEPS IN THE PROCESS BELOW ****


For this post, I thought I’d share a recent experience with the Beading Society. I’m so happy that Bev taught this. She IS the Master in the Beading World. Hands Down. I’m going to start by saying that Bev didn’t just have all the materials, she was “safety first” with gloves, goggles and EPA safety on the disposal of chemicals. Everything was well thought out and the process went very smoothly, which is saying a lot considering there are a lot of steps. Kudos to you, Bev!!























Ok, so, to start with ~ we took out the various copper and brass pieces. Then, we picked out our stamp and used a specific type of ink (you can also use a Sharpie pen and nail polish for the process) and put the design on the metal.



































We burnished the items onto a piece of masking tape. Making sure all the sides and back had full contact with the tape.















In the picture, Bev had Mary Lou’s assistance as the “10 minute jiggle” lady. She put the pieces of tape into the Ferric Chloride. We all had to time when our pieces needed to be jiggled and when they had to come out.






























Then, each of us put on gloves, removed the tape from the Ferric Chloride and gave it a Baking Soda bath.

Ok, I need to add something at this point. See, I was busy taking pictures, so I wasn’t looking directly into the Baking Soda to see the chemical reaction. When it was my turn to take it out of the dish and give it a bath, I wasn’t prepared for the bubbling baking soda. It freaked me out a little and I thought, “IT’S ALIVE!” OK, I know better, but like I said, I wasn’t prepared for the sight. Lol.




































Towards the end, you give the pieces a quick dip in Liver of Sulfur. Ok, ummm, have you ever smelled this stuff? Think – Rotten Eggs. For those of you who came back after Katrina – Think – REFRIGERATOR. Yeah, that bad. (Kind of fitting that we did this on top of the garage can lid!) I will say this though, the Liver of Sulfur gives it character. Here's my finished product:


























Thanks again, Bev. I’d like to do this again, but I’d want company. Call me a wuss, but chemicals make me nervous (How did I end up marrying a Chemical Engineer? I get nervous whenever he goes to work! Yes, Honey, I say a prayer for your safety daily!) I’d like to make more metal etchings and try the Silver Black on the pieces too and maybe even bake them to see how the patina changes it! (Bev, you might have created a monster)




(Quick little note, the Fleur de Lis was a stamp that Greg bought for me before we got married. The stamp was a favorite in the group and was stamped for many! Oh and the neat design above the Fleur de Lis and to the right is an Egyptian sign. Beaula had these stamps and this particular sign means, "Learn from your mistakes" -I like it!)

Comments

Theresa said…
i love these! They turned out beautiful!
Lisa said…
These are great! I don't blame you for being nervous about the chemicals--it would scare me to try it. But it looks like so much fun and what gorgeous, professional-looking results!

I'm a hobby beader too and I love seeing what you've made. It's all very beautiful.
Thistledew Farm said…
Very cool and looks like a fun day with crafters!!!! would have loved to be there.
of course, i love the fleur de lis one!
Hi, Aleta!! Just quick note as I'm on heavy painkillers since my surgery yesterday...but I love making new friends, and couldn't resist stopping by to say "Hello!" You have a beautiful blog!!! I love your template, your tile, you colors!!! Absolutely stunning!!!And oh, you are such an artist! What beautiful pieces you created!! And how very interesting learning from you how such beauty is created!! I'll be back after I kick the painkillers!! ~Janine XO
A New Yorker said…
Very cool! Mine would probably look like a squiggle.
Oh BTW I changed my name's spelling. Can you guess who this is?
septembermom said…
Really cool! I wish I could make such beautiful things. What a wonderful way to use your creativity. Interesting post :)
Holly said…
Desite all the hundreds (it seems) of different crafts I've tried, I've never done anything like this! Amazing! Yours turned out great and I would love to see all the others!