VERY early Gift

Greg said he was leaving for a little while; it was in the afternoon. I asked where he was going and he said, "None of your business." Well, now, you know that had my radar up. Not that I think he would do anything wrong, just that something was up. When he came back, he had a bag in his hand and refused to tell me where he went. Alright then.


A few minutes later he walks into the office room and we had this conversation:


Greg: "I bought your birthday gift."

Me: "Already? It's not until October."

Greg: "Do you want it now?"

Me: (slight hesitation) "No. I can wait. October is a only a couple of months away."

Greg: "But you need it."

Me: "Ohh. It's a "need this gift" type of gift. No, I can wait."

Greg: "But you really need this. I want to give you the gift."

Me: "No, I don't want it." (backing away from him)

Greg: "Pick a hand (he had both of his hands behind his back). Go ahead pick a hand. You're going to get this now."

Me: (good grief, I could only imagine what this "need" gift was) I picked the left hand.

I looked at the box and Greg explained, "I had a dream the other night and it disturbed me. I dreamt that you lost everything on the computer. Everything - all of your journals, poems, blog posts, pictures. Everything was gone and you were crying."

He bought me an external hard drive that is about triple the space as my computer. He set everything up so that it backs up my stuff every night.

So, now, we celebrated both his birthday and my birthday in August. Lol. He was right. It was something I needed. Thank you, Sweetheart. XOXO

Comments

Rush said…
lol...awesome, external hard drives are so essential..u wont believe i was just in costco searching for one for my brother, was looking for deals so that i could gift him one when i go back to India.
Congrats on ur pre gift series...should we start wishing u too in advance?
Anonymous said…
this is really really sweet. :)
*Akilah Sakai* said…
Greg is The Man!

That's an excellent gift! I just purchased a second external hard drive a couple days ago.

That is one gift you should DEFINITELY get early. Losing all of your written thoughts would drive you mad.
larkswing said…
Ahhh! One of the best valentines gifts from Will was a 2 GB jump drive (that was big at that time). I was in school and working full time - it was just what I needed. hmmmm, an external hard drive... he has one, but maybe I need one just for my pics and stuff!
Nicki said…
awwwww! that is soooooooooo sweet and thoughtful! wow!! i love this story!!! good job greg!! :)
Ugich Konitari said…
I have nothing but immense admiration for Greg's thoughtfulness. In a world populated with fellows who think their spouses blogs do not even exist, I think he deserves something akin to the Nobel Prize..:-)

Seriously, my son just got me one of these external hard drives, and it is so useful.....
Kavi said…
External HDDs are so important to anybody who i connected on the net !

And Greg is such a wonderful human being ! And ofcourse, you are quite a couple
You two are just too cute for words. Clearly still honeymooners...
A New Yorker said…
Spiritual and neat! Liking Greg!!
septembermom said…
What a sweet and practical gift! He is a romantic even with this external hard drive. I think my husband could take pointers from Greg:)
Peggy said…
What a great gift! Too cute.
Joanna Jenkins said…
Greg is so sweet. What a thoughtful gift.
xo
Grand Pooba said…
That is awesome! I've been thinking about getting one of those, what kind did he get you?
So sweet of him. And such a wonderful combination of the romantic and the practical.
2Wired2Tired said…
What a great idea, and he set it up for you too! He sounds like a wonderful guy.

I like your writing and look forward to reading more.

Thanks for visiting me at Two Toddlers.
Kim said…
That is so sweet! I love that he bought you something that you "need" but it is also something that you'll enjoy! And all because he was worried you'd lose the things that were important to you. Sounds like you've got quite the guy. Definitely a keeper! Enjoy your gift!
Unknown said…
Good for Greg. Backups are important and so often overlooked.
He bought you a present based on the fact that you were crying in a dream?

That man is IN LOVE with you. Gorgeous!
Holly said…
Having spent well over $700 to recover 4+ years of digital photos from a crashed computer, that was a thoughtful gift and money well spent!
Lilly said…
I love Greg Aleta I am sure you will understand. And you deserve it!!! Thats a great present though and a relief - it woul dbe bad if you had lots all your hard work.