Carport Crunch

This past Friday I went home for lunch, as is typical. Drove up in the driveway, under the carport and pushed the button to close the carport garage door. It's typical for me to go home for lunch, gives me a moment away from the office to enjoy. I went inside, made a turkey sandwich and watched a couple minutes of the news. It was raining and thundering like crazy outside. I called Greg, to make sure he was safe and to warn him not to take a certain route in order to avoid the flooded streets.

After looking at my watch, I figured I had a few minutes more before I had to head back to the office and logged on to my computer. It was then that I heard a horrible, horrible sound. I thought it was a rumbling thunder that seemed to last too long and was too metallic. I went to the side door, looked outside.... and I'm sure my mouth dropped.

First phone call was to Dad...

Me: "Dad.... I'm not going to be able to go back to the office. I have a SERIOUS problem."

Dad: "What's the problem?"

Me: "The carport crashed in and trapped my vehicle inside."

Dad: "You'r shitting me! What do you mean it crashed in?!"

Me: "I mean, it's on top of my car! I have to call Greg and make sure he doesn't try to open the garage door."




When I called Greg, he thought it was merely that a panel had blown off of the carport, which is what the construction guy thought too after Greg called him. Then, when Greg came in and saw the destruction, he asked, "Was there a tornado?"

I have no idea. All I know is what I heard and what I saw in the aftermath. It sucks. Really does. Just when I think things are looking up.... BAM .... Life happens.

The phone calls started from there. Everyone calling to ask what happened, calls to the insurance guy and calls to our electrician. (Because the Air Conditioner fan was hooked up to the same panel as the garage door motor. That panel tripped because of the destruction and rain, which is what it was supposed to do. We needed AC and our electrician was at our home within 15 minutes.)

Greg told me that he was really shocked with how well I was handling this. I think I was in shock and after that, I counted blessings to stop myself from crying, such as:

1) I wasn't in the car when it happened, because I would be a basket case right now or in the hospital.

2) The garage door was down, so the damage on my car at least didn't have the garage door on top of it too.

3) Greg wasn't home. If his vehicle was parked it would have taken the brunt of the carport crash, considering the carport slammed all the way to the cement slab.

4) It could have been Much, Much more physical damage to my car. It has body damage, will need a new door frame on the back passenger's side, new window, new passenger side mirror and paint job. But the car still runs. It might be a 2003, but it only has 54,000 miles and I kept it in good condition, so yes, I want it repaired. The motor wasn't damaged and it's still drivable.

5) The electrician could have said he couldn't come out and then we would have slept in heat and upset.

6) The home owners insurance was very kind and not ugly and gave me a claim number and phone number for the adjustor. (I've dealt with very hostile, nasty insurance people before - with a different company that I used to have after Katrina, so it was a real blessing to have someone nice on the phone with this company.)

7) The adjustor came out that afternoon to take pictures and start the claim.

8) After we heard more and more metal noises at night, we knew the rest of the carport that was leaning on my car might come down and do more damage if we waited until Monday to get the demolition crew out - we called the construction guy and he was able to schedule the demolition crew for Saturday.

9) I have a claim filed on the car insurance and an appointment for Tuesday to bring it in for estimates.

10) The carport didn't crash into the side of the house and do damage to the house... my car was the buffer.

11) The house did not catch on fire and nobody got hurt.

12) Dad lent me a car to drive in the meantime.

There's a lot worse that could have happened. It doesn't make it any less of a pain to deal with... Now it's a hassle with insurance companies, paying deductables and trying to get life back to normal. I think I'm still a little shocked and yeah, it's depressing if I think about it too much. I'm not crying outwardly yet I want to yell. It's a strange feeling.

When Greg told his mom about the carport and sent her pictures, she wrote back, "You don't lead a boring life!" I don't mind boring, really!!

When Dad called Rob and Roda and told them about the carport, Dad said, "Well, Roda, you have to take second place to garage damage now." (To which Greg joked, "What is it about Grimball women and garages?") In my defense, this was Mother Nature and not something I did.

Right now, I'm mentally exhausted and I want things back to normal. I'm handling it and getting the paperwork done, now get fixed already! (Patience, not one of my strong points.)







Comments

Darlene said…
Oh.MY.GOSH....that is so scary!!!! I do wonder what actually happened! It is a definite blessing that you were not in your car when it happened. Sorry you are having to deal with all of the repairs now.
Anonymous said…
holy cow aleta. wow! well, yeah it could have been worse. im glad everyone is safe. but all the aftermath of it does stink and im sorry you have to deal with all of that.

and i know what you mean--i would love a boring life too. at least for a year or so. :)
Dr. Wifey said…
whoa! glad you weren't hurt and that things seem to be moving along smoothly with repairs
septembermom said…
Thank God that no one was hurt. That must have been a scary sight. I'm glad that repairs can be made. So sorry that you have to deal with this. Hugs.
Kavi said…
OMG. Glad that you handled it so well. It could have been far worse. I am so relieved to see none injured here and glad that it happened when you were away inside...

It was rather chilling to read through the calm description of events. Rather chilling...but am glad you've got good things going for you...like the insurance company and the plumber !

Not forgetting your dad...and Greg ofcourse ! :)
Ugich Konitari said…
Aleta, Some up there must have been looking out for you. This is such an unusual accident to happen. Good to know that you are unhurt and OK, and despite the shock and trauma, you are getting most of the repairs, insurance and stuff sorted out. Hope all the stuff gets back to normal soon...
A New Yorker said…
Hey you get to have a whole new garage now. That's a positive right?
Rush said…
Seriously, this must have been one helluva weekend for u guys...but i admire the way u guys got out of it and ur outlook towards the entire incident.

i just hope everything gets settled soon and we look back at this incident and have no regrets...good thing insurance guys were pleasant and made the ride easier...i know how hassled things can turn out if one thing adds to another...keep us updated and i hope by next weekend, u are smiling back at the incident.
Oh yeah. Boring is sooooo underrated! Glad YOU are ok.
Kimberly said…
Oh my goodness, I'm glad you weren't in there!!

54, 000 for a 03? I guess that's not bad. We just bought an 86 jeep wagonner that had 47,000 miles. And like brand new interior and exterior. It was a pretty awesome deal!
larkswing said…
"we're not in kansas anymore..." bless your heart! I can imagine the shock - how wild was that!?!

Glad you are a.o.k!
Jen's Farmily said…
Wowza! We had a similiar situation last year when the storms came through and a trea got snapped in half. Luckily it landed on the old mail jeep we have and not my car!!

Glad you're okay and everything worked out!
Anonymous said…
Oh Boy, Glad to see it was just the garage and not the house or you. The car is a bummer. I can understand the frustration, not to be the bearer of bad news, but what is your HO Ins deductable for wind? Good luck. Hopefully, you will have the garage back real soon. --KRL
Debbie said…
Good heavens. Those are some amazing photos. I'm glad you are OK.
Peggy said…
Hi -- Just found your blog, and what a first post to read! I hope things have continued to go well with the repairs and paperwork and everything is back to normal very soon.
Deborah Godin said…
Yeah, we'll all take boring over that any day. Glad you weren't hurt, and hope the rest of the wheels of getting back to normal turn easly!
Jill said…
Oh my, what a scary mess. Thank goodness you weren't outside when it came down!

I signed your follower list! :)

Jill
Peggy said…
Thanks for your comment on my blog! It's nice to make a new bloggy friend. :-)

(By the way, I'm the same age as you are so I can relate to what you said about college. The only "online" thing I remember back then was the online card catalog at the library -- being able to search for books using a computer rather than the ACTUAL card catalog was a big thing!)
Joanna said…
Oh my gosh!! Glad you're ok.
Unknown said…
It looks more like a storm came through. Your mom got it right - you don't lead a boring life!
Penny said…
Oh, snap!!!! But you have such a positive outlook on it, and you are right -- it could have been much worse. Thank goodness it wasn't!!
tori said…
just came over from SITS. Wow amazing story and pics!
Sandy said…
Oh my! Thankfully nobody was hurt!
Anna said…
Oh wow! Thank goodness you are okay. You stayed much more calm than I would have. Glad to know everything will be okay. Stopping by from SITS
*Akilah Sakai* said…
Glad it wasn't much worse, though it'd be much, much better if it hadn't happened at all.
Holly said…
How bizzare, but thankfully, you weren't still in the car! Of course, I suppose you could look at it that if you hadn't come home that day, your car would be fine. But I'd focus on the fact that it could have been so much worse! Oh, and I like the positive thinking of someone about at least you are getting a new garage! :-)
Lilly said…
Oh my what a shock! And its a damn fine thing you werent sitting in the car at the time. Thank goodness you are ok!