Greg Guest Post

Clean Laundry… I want CLEAN LAUNDRY!!

The first few paragraphs below is my rant… but that’s not what this article is about… I want you to know that the point I want to make… and I sincerely hope you share it… is that part after that. The part in BOLD is what I want you to HOLD.

At what point in America’s history did we become drama junkies? That we THRIVE on negative news and huge scandals? (Imagine if you will the track “Dirty Laundry” playing in the background as you read further). That when somebody famous dies or caught in a scandal we are glued to the TV to hear all of the “details” only to find out that its bogus conjecture, unassociated “officials” and “experts” give their opinions as facts? And then the media takes it and plays it 24/7 until every American finally gets sick of it.

I’m not sure about you… but it truly turns my stomach….and when I see a rude TV personality like Nancy Grace talk about ANY subject, I want to call her and remind her that most of America, who is intelligent and educated, compares her to nothing short of a Jerry Springer guest with a law degree. Do yourself a favor… tonight or any night… watch her show and COUNT how many times she interrupts someone talking to get HER point in. Not only Rude but LOUD. It’s not just her… its just that she’s a prime example. And every reporter knows…. Drama rules… because here’s the equation…

Drama = Ratings,
Ratings = Commercials,
Commercials = $Money$

And where does THAT money come from??? Look in the mirror. Cha-Ching!
While you were reading the last few minutes’ news shows sold HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS in commercials.

But here is the worst part… YOU and I put her there. If she didn’t get the ratings.. CNN would take her off. Reporting the news now seems to be ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK. Gone are the days of Murrow, Cronkite, Huntley, Rather, Brinkley. People who reported FACTS. …. Facts. Bad or good… facts. News shows were not 24/7. They had either a half hour or one hour to tell you everything, so they got to the point and didn’t ramble on and on while BLATANTLY telling you their political affiliation.


OK Clean Laundry.

Stories that are heart warming, and show people in their good light are automatically labeled “Human Interest” stories. Of course they don’t get good ratings so the typical news channel probably devotes 5pct of their time telling it.

I’m not sure about you, but I know ALOT of people. And I mean ALOT. And almost every last one of them are VERY good people. As a matter of fact… I think I could honestly say that 95% of them are good people.

Please do yourself and me a quick favor…. write down all of the people you know fairly well… including co-workers, friends, family and acquaintances. How many are good people? Everyone has their faults… me included… but if a person’s heart is in the right place… they are GOOD people. Break out a calculator and check out the percentage. I would like to know that percentage number in your response to this post if you don’t mind.

So here is my point… if you TOO can say that as well… that 9 out of 10 people you know are very good people… then why do we spend 95 pct of the time talking about WAY less than 5 pct of the people? I don’t want to sound naïve… but there is NO doubt in my mind that the amount of GOOD people on this planet FAR outnumbers the BAD people on this planet. There’s strength in numbers my friends, and there is nothing stronger than something righteous. And when the number of good VASTLY exceeds the number of bad…. Well here is my point… Every time I turn on the news it seems this planet is still “circling the bowl”? What gives?

Is the media selling telling me how it REALLY is ??? or are they more determined to sell me pills for a floppy penis? Or personal injury lawyers, or Ducks and Lizards selling me over-priced insurance?
Don’t kid yourself… that’s their business. Improve their ratings, sell more commercials, make mo’ money. They would plant a bag of crack cocaine on Nun if it would improve ratings and they could get away with it. Sorry… I digress… back to BOLD print.

I want TV channels that focus on the GOOD. It doesn’t have to be religious. It just reports on good people doing good things for each other. Flawed as it is… I love this country… and more than 95% of its people… and I want to here from that majority.

Thank you! (Picture Greg now stepping off of the Soap Box)

Speaking of which… here is my positive news..

One of the bloggers here on Aleta’s site honored Aleta and I with a portrait painting of one of our wedding pictures. It is OUTSTANDING. I’m not saying it is good just because it is a very good image of us… but it came from a GOOD person. A talented person who decided to share her talent with someone else. A person who we have NEVER met… but are VERY happy to know! Thank you for being part of my 95% Hillbilly Duhn (aka Kim).

Aleta here ~ Just a little note.... Greg sent me an email for the above to be his post. When I saw the words "Clean Laundry" I immediately went through the thoughts, "What's in the laundry? I did laundry last weekend, it can't be THAT bad." Lol.

Adding in my own thanks as well to Kim ~ you know how tickled I am!
Greg also asked me to include this link:
http://www.filmsnmovies.com/movie/1293/the_way_we_get_by_2009/

Comments

Joanna Jenkins said…
I totally agree with you on the nasty news. I think the storw that broke the camel's back for me was Michael Jackson. I can't listen anymore and haven't watched the news in about 10 days. I read the LA and NY Times daily and that's about it. I just can't take all the garbage out there.

And Nancy Grace-- UGH!
♥ Boomer ♥ said…
I am so in agreement with you on this, Greg. It is sickening. I don't understand it.

Tonight at church, the teacher talked about how negativity destroys our faith, keeps us from being productive, makes us critical, makes us unforgiving,leaves us hopeless. I so want to focus on the positive Media is in such a powerful position, and we hand it to them on a silver platter.

POSITIVE! I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Kavi said…
Bad news sells Greg. And its not restricted to USA ! It sells the world over ! And yes, you have a point, when you say, 'if we turn off from these bad news pliers, they will turn off' !

But the number of folks who will stay glued will be enough for them to survive. I guess.

That said, i guess blogs, like Aleta's are the alternative sources for 'good' news. And the ones like us that are sick and tired of the rude / bad news / loud, tune in hear !

The choices are ours to make ! super post !
A New Yorker said…
I stopped watching CNN after 9/11. Crescent News Network. I'm done with them.
We havn't had a TV in a long time and I guess that makes it easier to be happy :)
GregO said…
Gary.. thats a good idea! I find myself more and more on the internet..and MUCH less watching TV.. and Aleta and I go watch TV only when there is one of our good shows we recorded. If it weren't for Hurricane Watch... I dont think I would watch unrecorded TV at all.
Thanks
Jen's Farmily said…
I rarely (if ever) watch the news anymore. I don't need to hear about how horrible the economy is b/c guess what? I'm jobless thanks to the downturn. And hearing about all the shootings, car jackings, break-ins... no thanks. I'd rather stay in my happy little bubble with my 95% good people!!
Night Owl Mama said…
I can't tell u how often I complain about this very thing...


lol floppy penis I'm still giggling
Kimberly said…
I despise the news, and rarely do I watch it. It's everything that you described while you were up on your soap box.

And thank you very much for the plug, and including me in the 95% of the good people. It's been my pleasure to "meet" you two, and my honor to paint you. So, thank you for the chance.

Loving the new look of the blog by the way...Very fancy!! =)
naperville mom said…
Love your new look, Aleta!:) Have to agree with Kavi there...tc.
*Akilah Sakai* said…
Great guest post!

Don't you dare come down off that soap box, Greg!!
Holly said…
Great post Greg - I've been annoyed with 'journalists' for years. How condescending that they have to tell you what the pres said after a pres address - as if we are too stupid to understand. Only really, what they tell us is THEIR interpretation of what the pres said. Ugh.

And reality shows. Never watch them. Ever. Closest thing is occassionally watching Next Food Network Star. But have only seen two episodes of the current season. I have better things to do than to watch TV anyway! :-)
Intense Guy said…
I stopped watching the news on TV long ago - and on the radio even further back.

And it wasn't just the bad news - it was the distorting hype like "Look Out Tomorrow We MIGHT have UP TO 30 inches of snow!" and then we get a half inch but schools have been closed anyway.

Just as offensive is the "news people" telling me how to dress for the day's weather (wear a coat - its freezing out there!) - or how to be SAFER than SAFE! Sheesh. I'll tie my own shoelace already if that makes 'em happy.
Anonymous said…
Certainly. It was and with me. Let's discuss this question. levitra It — is improbable!