Sunday Citar - Happy Father's Day



Today's Citar is dedicated to my Dad. (Instead of a quote, I thought I'd share a brief conversation ~ because it's funny and Dad makes people smile)

Dad: "I looked into that new Pet place. I asked them if they can kennel two cats while we're on the trip to Boston. The reception asked me, "How do you want them stored?" I told her, "Preferably stuffed!"

Me: "Dad! You did not say that!"

Dad: "Yes, I did" (laughing) "The receptions said - "Now, Mr. Grimball... Do you want a cage or a condo?" I was like... whhhhattt?"

Me: "Wait. Did you say, a Condo for a cat?!"

Dad: "Yeah, a condo. I couldn't believe it. I had to ask what the difference was."

Dad: "It's a larger caged area that has space for two cats and stairs for them to climb and a place for them to play. They get 24 hour care with people there to take them out and pet them and play with them. It's a size of a large closet. Sheshhhh...."

Me: "What's the cost difference?"

Dad: "That was my next question. The cage is 16 a day. With two cats, it would be 32. The condo is 24 a day for both. The condo comes out cheaper. That's the ONLY reason we're going with the condo."

Me: (laughing): "Your cats might not want to come back home after this kind of royalty treatment."

Dad: "One can only hope..."

Lol. Dad talks mean about cats and he'll tell you in heartbeat that he used to shoot cats when he was a kid, because the cats were all over the place in the country area. But he loves those cats he has now. He'll never admit it, but he does!


Below is a poem I wrote based on a childhood memory with Dad. Dad and Rob were Indian Guides and when Dad looked into what the organization had available for Fathers and Daughters, he found out about the Y-Indian Princesses.



I asked Dad to send me some of the pictures from this. I remember painting tee pees and going camping and the car race. I still have the necklace and the car.....



Memories Snippet IV


against the drummer sound
I was donned an Indian Princess
"Spring Flower" with a decorated
feather headband, wrapped around
the brow

An instant Pocahontas, clad in
buckskin jacket with patches of my
merit, no bonnet for this little lass.
We dipped painted fingers to
canvas, where teepees had no room
for shyness, gathering new friends

huntresses at the camp, throwing
balls through old tires and chanting
songs when late night fires greeted
s'mores and smiles, we never
learned smoke signals

Father-Daughter team, there was a race
~ had to build a tiny car from wood,
working wheels and paint, we made ours
black. In line for the start, I bit my lip
and he understood, "We'll win" he whispered
that twinkle in his eye

Body forward, fingers tapped
it began, almost couldn't watch, but yes!
Ours won! Car placed on a trophy mantel,
a picture moment ~ my hand to
cover a smile, which would not be contained

Placed petals around my neck, he carved
it around "Spring Flower"
a pendant for our memories strung together
in a beaded necklace of red and
yellow wooden balls, aged now it hangs on
my jewelry table, telling me....

no matter what the future might hold, Dad
will always be there for me, I'm still his little girl



HAPPY FATHER'S DAY, Dad! I love you!




Comments

A New Yorker said…
I love your always positive outlook. I believe I need it to rub off on me big time! :) Happy Father's Day.
Dr. Wifey said…
sounds like you have a great Dad! Happy Father's Day to him :)
*Akilah Sakai* said…
Beautiful memory and poem, Aleta! Tell your dad Happy Father's Day from Bloggerland for me.

Aw, the pics are sooo cute. See how the eyes never change?
2Shaye ♪♫ said…
What a hilarious conversation with your father. Never heard of a pet condo before. But I have to say that if I owned the shop I couldn't ignore the animals who only had cages. I think they'd get 24 hour care, too!

Great Citar. Will be back!

~Shaye
Beverly Herman said…
I have heard of pet condo's. Cricket hasn't had the luxury of staying at one yet. He doesn't mind being kenneled the few times I had to leave him behind.
That was a very nice poem you wrote for your Dad. I miss my Dad today. I whispered a prayer for him.
Anonymous said…
I love your poetry.
septembermom said…
Lovely poem. Fun memory of a cute conversation with your dad. Those are the moments we'll always treasure. I enjoyed visiting your blog today:)
♥ Boomer ♥ said…
So sweet, Aleta!! ♥
You dad sounds like a funny man!
Heather said…
love your dad! my dad never wanted cats, but my mom got them anyway...which made him mad. when i wanted to take one after i graduated, he was not going to let that happen. eventually they get attached. :)
Tabitha Blue said…
That is awesome... we are always still our daddy's little girls!!! And that cat story was pretty hilarious, it's evident he loves them, and is just trying to hide it!! LOL

:)
~Tabitha
Kimberly said…
AWE!!!! Funny, cute, and talent.

Awesome post.

P.S. You won my contest for the free portrait. I've sent you an email regarding details!!

:)
Meaghan said…
Stopping by from SITS What a wonderful memory and story. And, i just love the picture :)

Also, I wanted to invite you to my raffle on Spirit Jump. $1 for 1 ticket and each week (starting Sundays) we have new prizes like airline tickets, grills, jewelry...All $ goes to fight cancer.

http://www.spiritjump.com
Twitter @spiritjump
What a funny story! Great memory and poem!
Joanna Jenkins said…
$24 a day for a cat condo cage?!?!? Jeez, I'm in the wrong business.
LOVE the post. xo
Rush said…
u r so right about dad..the blog touches..loved the bit about the cat never returning home after such royal treatment..loved ur post :)
Rashikaps said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rashikaps said…
Loved this post, Aleta. :) Had never heard of condos for pets.

Sure, they're lucky! They don't even have to worry about earning money. :|
CB said…
What wonderful memories and I love the conversation about the cat - So funny!
The Indian Guides picture is precious :D
Tabitha Blue said…
Miss ya this week. Hope you're doing well!!! And hope you join in on Sunday again. Enjoy your weekend.

:)
~Tabitha
Lilly said…
Oh an adorable post which says so much about your Dad. He sounds like mine - I have heard similar remarks form my father about our pet cats as kids. He he. Wonderful poem Aleta.