Renovations and Birthdays

I’m listening to Greg play his guitar in the background. It’s been a while since he was able to get to his guitar and my piano is finally ~ finally, dust free. (Just found out that Tigger meows in B minor, Tigs was by the tuning device and meowed. Too funny.)

Don’t you love home renovations? It’s bad enough when you want to renovate one room, but we took on ALL the floors. Every single room (other than the bathrooms – that will be a huge renovations for the future and the office room, because that’s a new addition), but every room, including the closets and utility room ~ new 16 x 16 tile. It’s a pretty, warm colored tan in a brick stacked pattern.

I would never advise for anyone to get white for floors. We had white tile in the kitchen and the dining room and it showed off every speck of dust and slightest hint of cat fur as it was falling when Tigger walked by. Ugh! I could sweep, vacuum and mop and within seconds ~ it would look dirty again.

Greg couldn’t stand the old parquet floors in the front room, hall and bedrooms. I can’t blame him. They were coming up and cracking, not to mention you could hear the floors popping as you walked on them. The parquet was severely damaged.

Many of our wedding guests were very generous and gave Home Depot gift cards, knowing we wanted to do a lot of home renovations. We had enough gift cards to purchase all of the materials for the floor renovation. What a blessing!

Greg’s friend, Michael knew someone in the business. Brandon, Michael’s friend, owns B&M Renovation and Construction Services. He told us that Smiley was the man to do the tile work. We learned that Smiley was from Honduras and was aptly nicknamed. He was a guy with amazing energy, working from 7am to 8pm.

Honestly? When Brandon told us that they would have the renovations done in 8 days, I didn’t believe him. (Before going with Brandon’s company, we were given another slightly higher quote and a timeframe of 3-4 weeks for completion.) I just couldn’t imagine doing an entire house that quickly. Brandon proved me wrong! The guys doing the work ~ worked hard, worked long and were VERY conscientious about their skill.

At one point we had 6 guys in the house doing various things from ripping out the old floors, putting down the new tile, taking out the baseboards and putting up the new baseboards and door frames. The crew was considerate and…. they really enjoyed it that Greg spoke Spanish. Smiley said a couple of times, “He knows a lot of Spanish.” It made Smiley happy and it also made communication a lot easier! (Greg lived in Miami for a couple of years and picked up on the language quickly.)

I’m very pleased with the work that B&M construction did and I’d definitely recommend them!

Needless to say, now we’re getting the house back together (oh, I should add that the guys moved the furniture and put it back after the work was done)… for me, it’s more or less cleaning the layers of dust. Yuck. (During the renovations, Greg was leaving me messages in the dust, "I love you, Aleta." Awww.)

The house is getting back to normal (clean) and that makes me happy. To see before and after pictures, click here to visit my Picasa site.


This past weekend was a busy birthday one! Greg’s Dad (Jerry Sr) turned 75 and Greg’s brother (Jerry Jr) turned 50. Greg’s Mom organized the surprise party for both of them. While Greg took the two Jerrys to see a movie, I went to his parents’ home to help decorate.

When I pulled up, all of the vehicles were gone and nobody answered the door. I called Madelyn and asked, “Was the party location moved? Is the party still at your parents’ home?” Madelyn replied, “Yes, why?” I told her that nobody was there and she laughed, “Mom went to pick up the food and Bonnie and I are on the way there.” We made good timing with decorating.

I took pictures of the party and had a great time! The very next day, we celebrated Mary Ann’s birthday and Collin’s birthday. March is for the O’Briens! I like how they celebrate the births and get everyone together. If you’d like to see pictures of the birthday celebrations, click here to visit my Picasa link.

Oh and a quick change of subject, but cute ~

Greg sent me this text message: "They were discussing marriage percentages on Sirius radio and only 11pct of husbands cook 50 pct of the time. Only 1.5pct of husbands cook more than 90pct of the time. 5000 couples were polled. Also.. If the husband does more than 65pct of the cooking that the marriage has a much greater chance of being successful. BAM!!!"

If that's the case, we're sure to succeed, because Greg does 99pct of the cooking! I'm spoiled, Ok, I know it! (But I do the majority of the cleaning, not 99pct though. hehe)

Quick question ~ Have you visited Boston? If so, I'd love to read about your vacation there or any information you can offer.

Comments

Anonymous said…
home improvements:exciting and stressful all at the same time. the outcome looks lovely though. so worth it. :)

my husband does most of the cooking too. i really think it shows a sense of compromise when there aren't "man" jobs and "woman" jobs. everyone should just work to their talents and make living together happy.
Dr. Wifey said…
home renovation does not sound fun! cool that you got so many Home Depot gift cards. wish i could get my hubby to cook 99% of the time ;p
Lilly said…
Oh your new flooring looks fantastic - checked out the photos. And its great they did it all so quickly and did such a good job. Renovations can be hard. Seems like Greg has an equally lovely family as yours. And he cooks 99% of the time too? You struck gold Aleta, lol!!! Take Care.
Margaret said…
Wow I bet that was a big task. I don't recommend white either. We have white in our kitchen and it constantly looks dirty.

I went to Boston when I was a senior. My mom and I took the trip together, because I went to Wisconsin to play on a National Basketball team, so we just made a long vacation out of it. I don't remember specifics, but it was a lot of fun. We took the Duck Tour and ate at the Blue Ginger.

I am giving you a blog award. You can come by my blog to pick it up.
♥ Boomer ♥ said…
Your floors look wonderful! I'm trying to be patient as I wait for this to happen in my home. We are tackling painting first ... then come floors, with taxes in between and throughout!
GypsiAdventure said…
Tis the season for home renovations...I too have the bug again and have been wondering the isles of home depot and lowes looking for good bargins. So much fun renovating!

Have a great week!!
~K
Kavi said…
Renovations and home improvements havve been highly stressing for me in the past. And i dont see it change in a hurry for me...


am glad you found the energy to do it !

:)
Brandy said…
I've never been to Boston so no advice from me. Sorry!

Congrats on the new floors...and your very lucky to have Greg doing the cooking. My hubs does the laundry so we call it even. Most of the time!
Tabitha Blue said…
Wow!! Home renovation can be stressful, but it's so fulfilling to see the end result! Sounds like a big project, but one that tuned out great!! I'm off to check out your pics!!

:)
~Tabitha~

freshmommyblog.com
You'll love Boston, we lived near there for years. Don't try to drive around much, parking and driving are terrible. And wait until May or June, the weather is awful until then!
LOVE the cooking pcts, I am the chef in this house too!
Renovations make me go crazy when they are in-progress and happy when they are over. Glad that you have successfully and happily finished with it. Even more glad that you have found that rare gem (at least in India) - THE-HUSBAND-WHO-COOKS.
Justine said…
Wow, what a transformation! I can't say I'd want to clean all that tile all the time, but it sure does look pretty! And Tigger is such a cutie!

Justine :o )
A New Yorker said…
You always tell a great story. I'm a bit under the whether but I took a few minutes to actually read your blog just now. I've been to Boston....a LOT! email me if you want some 411 although you're a detail girl and I'm kind of a skimmer over type. :)
Just returned to my home after three weeks when my home was getting renovated [painted would be more accurate]. Stayed with my son. The home smells of the new paint. Minor work is yet to be done. When it is all over I will celebrate!

Your post brought my daily experience alive once again,
Vivek
The Blonde Duck said…
Sounds like ya'll have been busy! We just painted our kitchen and living room. Color is so nice!!!
Hippomanic Jen said…
I too hate the process of renovation. But aren't the results great!

and, I couldn't help but notice the typographical error when you mentioned a man cooking 99 percent of the time. What, you mean he does? It wasn't an error? wow.
Heather said…
we are in the process of improving many rooms in our home. we knew we would have to when we bought it, but, it doesn't make it any easier. we are currently working on our kitchen, and cabinets have come down and we have found more problems then we anticipated. it is quite frustrating to have cabinets in the dining room when trying to get dinner ready in the kitchen. my hubby keeps saying, wait for the result, and i'm trying! but it is hard.

also, the previous owners of our house laid white CARPET in every room, including the kitchen and bathrooms! i HATE it and can't wait to see it go...having cats and dogs indoors has meant many a stain on the white carpet and it looks gross. not to mention, carpet in kitchens and bathrooms just doesn't seem right...
nikkicrumpet said…
Doing work on your home or having it done can be such a pain...but it sure is worth it when it's done! That's great that you got the Home Depot cards for your wedding. It's nice when you receive something you really want and need! What did you want to know about Boston. I live about 45 minutes away...and although I'm not an expert on the city I may be able to answer any questions :)
nsiyer said…
Aleta Hi! Iam now on to renovation next week. will take your advice on the tiles. Little worried over the mess that will happen.
Anonymous said…
I'd been to Boston a decade ago... and loved it. We took the walking guided tour of the city, which gave a lot of briefs abt the famous Boston Tea Party. Then, loved the seafood at the harbor. Don't miss the chowder if u're planning to be there...

Bloghopping from Vivekji's...great find:)
Anonymous said…
Your husband does 99% of the cooking? You lucky bum. :) Does he help with cleaning too?
Darlene said…
Hi Aleta,

It sounds like the renovations went very well and that the company had such outstanding workers!!! It is great that so many people got you Home Depot cards...that SURE helps!

Have a great weekend!
Anonymous said…
Wow, that's about the most benign reno story I ever heard - good for you guys! I was in Boston a couple of times, but it was back in the 70s, and I'm sure I'm way out of date on just about everything.
Kellan said…
We are building a room (a den) onto our house right now. Luckily, it isn't interfering with any of our daily life, but we've been there - ugh!

Have a great weekend, Aleta - see you soon - Kellan
Holly said…
WOW - I LOVE the new floors. Funny - I was watching an episode of "Househunters Internationl" recently, and they were looking for a house in Belize, and I remember thinking how I loved having all tile floors in a house. Of course, you couldn't do it here - WAY too cold for that!

I'm sure doing all the rooms at once was a major pain. But, it seems like I'll never be done with renovations. We've been here 3 years, and technically, still don't have one room completely done. Ugh. I'll probably be dead before I finish this house!
Holly said…
Oh meant to add - if you are planning a trip to Boston, I'd love to meet up with you! Boston is about 2 1/2 - 3 hours from here! Other than that, I don't have anything to add, because we're too busy with animals and work and house renovations to actually go see what Boston has to offer. But everyone up here loves going there for various things. Lots of culture. Lots of history.