Making a Wind Chime

March ~ St Patrick's Day ~ Luck of the Irish

I mention these things, because many of Greg's family members have birthdays in March. This year we asked Mom (Mary Ann) what she'd like for her birthday. She said "deep sounding wind chimes." Greg looked online and went to some stores, but wasn't happy with the sound.

I'm married to the right man ~ instead of buying the gift, Greg is MAKING the wind chimes. Here's an email from Greg to his Mom on how he created the chimes:

"Off and on for the past 4 days, I've worked on the gift and I have to say that so far I'm very pleased with the way it is coming out. Everything is falling into place. I love that. There will be 6 tubes for the chimes and I am tuning it to A minor, which seems to be popular. I have an electronic guitar tuner and each tube is at perfect pitch because I am using a "continuous roll" pipe cutter. I am taking off 1/16 of an inch at a time until the pitch is perfect and you can actually hear the harmonic wave when the bells are struck. Its SO cool.

THEN, I needed a circular piece at the top for the strings to go through. Aleta and I were at the Big Orange and I came across the perfect piece. I couldn't believe it (seriously, he couldn't. Greg's eyes at the store were like a kids in candy land - too cute) It is a replacement flange repair kit for the base of a toilet believe it or not and it has SIX perfectly spaced holes in it as well AND it is Stainless Steel!!

THEN we were looking for a ringer (striker) that can hang in the middle and we came across a screw-in leg for home made furniture. It's called a "Bun Foot" like what you would put on the bottom of a dresser. I took out the threaded metal and replaced it with an eye hook for the string, then added another eyehook on the bottom for the wind catcher to be tied on. Now I need an idea for what to use as a wind catcher."

When Greg and I were at Home Depot, it was surprising to find the items and they seemed to fit the project perfectly. What's the saying? Everytime you hear a chime, another angel gets its wings.


Mom's response started with "WOW! I am so impressed with your creativeness." She wrote about ideas for a wind catcher and said that "a wide, light weight piece catches the wind better than a long, narrow piece." The discussion came up that the striker could be too heavy for the wind catcher to work. Mom ended her letter with, "Thank you SO much for all the effort you're putting into this. It means more to me than if you would have gone out and purchased one already made."


I think it's beautiful that Greg wanted to make the gift (I love how talented he is ~ just ONE of the ~many reasons I love him) and I think it's equally as beautiful that his Mom appreciates it so much!


For the wind chime aspect, Greg sent a response, that is... well, Greg. He always keeps me laughing, love that man!

Greg wrote: "I guess it also depends on how often you want to hear the chime. Do you want crazy lots of chiming? I don't think so, just a soft, deep, resonating, tantric, meditative, now and then reminder of how relaxing a sound can be. *sigh* Like smoking some good weed but without the bad taste in your mouth or the sense of paranoia LOL"

Comments

Kimberly said…
LOL! I like what Greg wrote. Too funny!!

That's really awesome he made the wind chimes, and they look great! Me next!! I need chimes. Maybe it can be his new calling?

:)
larkswing said…
That is great!! I like chimes too!

Smiles!
I also love windchimes, just that I never thought about the pot-parallel. But then, Greg's right, both are relaxing and soothing experiences. LOL.
A New Yorker said…
LMAO at your last line. :)
Wind chimes sound wonderful occsionally - how nice that Greg made those for you, Aleta !
wait, he is tuning them too?
The Blonde Duck said…
That's so cool he made chimes!!
Brandy said…
That's too cool! He's one talented guy.
Justine said…
ROFL! I love the last line of his letter to his mom. Too damn funny!

Holy cow, I cannot believe how much work he is putting into this windchime! I mean hell, he's even cutting one little piece at a time to get the exact right sound! Amazing!

Justine :o )
♥ Boomer ♥ said…
My dad made wind chimes, but I don't know that he ever tuned them like that! Your guy is totally rocking! But no big surprise! Huh? You knew it the whole time!
Hippomanic Jen said…
Love the fact that Greg tuned them. I personally don't like the tinny sounding ones that are all off key, so those sound great!!!
Debbie Y. said…
Love the homemade wind chimes. I always tell my hubby I would rather have a homemade gift any day.
Jessica said…
Aw, that's so sweet! What a great gift! :)
grace said…
i'm glad the fact that you married the right man for you has been reinforced. :)
great post, aleta!
Kavi said…
I love wind chimes ! For their sounds and for the good tidings that they bring !

Lvoely post ! Truly inspirational !
Wind chimes is a great idea. What appealed to me is th eidea of 'making' a birthday gift for someone. I will try this, I can clearly see that it will be valued more than anything I can get from a shop.
Thanks for a good post and for giving us an excellent thought and idea,
Vivek
Margaret said…
How neat that he is making it. We searched forever for the perfect windchime, and finally found a bamboo one with a turtle shell at the top. I can hear it right now, as it is very very windy here.
Anonymous said…
What a wonderful and clever idea! (He's a good guy, all right!)
kari and kijsa said…
that is awesome!! What a fabulous and thoughtful gift!
blessings,
kari & kijsa
Emma Dalloway said…
thanks aleta for commenting on my blog - your comments were precisely what had inspired the haiku. cheers.

great blog btw.

cheers
Jennifer said…
That is very cool--congrats to him for making it!!
Anonymous said…
Wow! That's amazing!!!!
Reb said…
Tuned wind chimes? Oh, how wonderful! And they looks great too.
*Akilah Sakai* said…
The gift will mean so much more being made personally, and with love. Very sweet!
Lilly said…
Oh that was a great gift for Greg's mother. The fact he made it himself is evern better. He is very clever and very funny too! She will treasure that gift so much. You have yourself a great husband Aleta!!! As you deserve!
Jen's Farmily said…
I love wind chimes! Our neighbors at the lake have wind chimes, so now whenever I hear wind chimes, I think of cool summer nights!
nsiyer said…
Great and happy birthday to all your folks. Your post reminded me of the singing bowl and singing bell that I recently bought. Making gifts is a great idea. Congratulate Greg and all the best to you both.
Darlene said…
How neat that he made the wind chimes. We have three sets of them (nice low soothing sounds) but have never made any of them. I just love wind chimes.
Holly said…
Way behind, I know, but at least I'm finally catching up. And I am so glad I did - catch up - vice ignore old posts I hadn't read yet. WOW - how very clever and sweet of him! And he has done such a wonderful job with it! His reply comparing the wind chimes to pot smoking was just too funny to boot! :-)