Blue Monster Scam

I’m doing a Happy Dance! The Blue Monster is Gone, Gone, Gone! It’s been a long time, since 1997. I’m glad to see it go. Blue Monster ~ being the Franklin Sectional sofa sleeper and matching blue swivel, rocking chair. Greg put the ad on Craig’s List to sell it.

Before selling the monster, we considered various options of replacement. We were in agreement that the tan walls and new tan tile floor needed a splash of color, but the dark blue (almost looks black) sofa was dated and swallowed up the room.

Honestly, I didn’t figure Greg and I would have the same taste. Men can get picky about things, not wanting a room to be too feminine. Greg, a manly man with the knowledge of tools and building and chemical engineering, (those things requiring a creative gift in and of itself), add to that, Greg has a degree in Commercial and Graphic Design. This is a wonderful combination. It means that he can build and be a sexy man with the tools and strength, but also have an intelligent and creative conversation about what works with colors and design. And THAT combination ~ way sexy!


Ok, back to our sofa hunt. Burgundy, we were soon to learn was not an easy color to find. We also didn’t like the styles available and went to three different stores, coming back disappointed. I had all but given up hope. We knew what we wanted, the style, the color. When we went to the next store, we said in detail what we were looking for and the salesman responded, “I have exactly that!” Good thing he was walking in front of me, because I think my eyes rolled in the, “Yeah, I’ll believe that when I see it” expression. (I can’t hide my emotions and at that point I was not having much faith, shame on me!)

Here are before and after pictures of the front room, the Blue Monster and the Crimson New! (Greg even mentioned my grandmother's painting and how it would go well with the new sofa set. I was thrilled. And I love the sofa, romantic ambiance we could create now that the sofa doesn't dominate the room!) To see more pictures, might be a little more clear, click here.





























I want to back track for a minute to the Craig’s List ad. If you’ve ever sold something at that site, you know what I’m talking about when I mention being able to sniff out a scam a mile away with the “item” and “advert” and “out of state” responses stating they can only pay by “check, cashier’s check or money order.” We received plenty of those scams.


If you know anything by now about Greg, it’s this ~ he finds a way to have fun. Below is the scammer’s email about the ad and then Greg’s response. I think I say this in every post and I’ll say it again, I love Greg!


SCAMMER'S EMAIL:




Hello,
How are you doing today,i hope everything is okay with you?well my name is Anthony Jerry and i live at 3684 Marlesta Dr San Diego, CA... I was browsing through the craigslist to check out some furnitures i need to buy for my new house and i came across the ad for your furniture and would like to buy it because i really like it.I wish i could come down to you to look at it but unfortunately i am still in ND but will be moving there soon but i can do the whole transaction from here.Please kindly get back to me immediately if the furniture is still in good conditions for use and also if you can accept a check for payment as that is the only way i can have payment to you.The check will be delivered to you via mail just fews days after it has been mailed from here by me.If you are ready to sell the furniture to me and okay with my procedure,kindly get back with the informations below so that i can use it to make payment to you immediately i get them from you,
1)Full Name
2)Full Address
3)Phone Number
I want you to know that i am okay with the price of the furniture and i am not going any less for it.But would be glad if you can do some reduction but i am okay with the price I would be so glad if you can sell the furniture to me as i would really love to buy it as soon as possible and i want everything done fast because i am moving out of CA soon and i am expecting a new baby.Please don't bother yourself about the pick up,i know a forwarding courier in your state,they will handle the pick up immediately you inform me that you got your check and that you have cashed it,then i will contact them to come for the pick up of the item at your location at your own best time.I will be waiting for your quick response tomorrow latest.Stay Blessed.
Anthony,


Greg's Response:

YES!!! I am interested! I will actually BE in San Diego on Tuesday next week! God be blessed! This will work out great!! I will drive by and come see you. What is your phone number? You can give me the cash then. What area of Louisiana will you move to?



A little caveat. My wife lost the 1.5 kt diamond somewhere in the sofa. The sofa is SO big that we couldn’t find the diamond. I went out the next day and bought her new one… so maybe you can find it… if you do find it… you can have it. We gave up... but we KNOW its in the sofa…because I was massaging her hand there when I felt it dislodge from the ring and roll off.



Don’t worry about sending a courier. I do that for a living. I have a fleet of big trucks and can move it anywhere. What is the address you want me to send the sofa to?



When I get to San Diego, can you come pick me up?



Regards,



Latif Okonlawon

Comments

Lilly said…
Beautiful new sofa and hilarious Greg!!
Anonymous said…
Mr. C sometimes responds to spam e-mails he gets in the same manner that Greg responded. I still think it's funny!!
Unknown said…
It looks great and his letter was hilarious!!
Justine said…
OMG, I love Greg too!!!!!!!!!! That letter kicks ass! Funny stuff. And let me say, your new sofas look SO much better! Wow, so pretty. I can just see the windows without blinds now, and some shimmery flowy drapes. Now THAT would be romantic, no?

Justine :o )
Anonymous said…
hahahehehoho:) esp the part he says he's lost the diamond on the sofa while massaging yr hand:)


So, did he reply? curious...
♥ Boomer ♥ said…
I just love your new furniture! When will you be listing it on Craig's List? I am already working on my interest letter to Greg. Har Har!!!
*Akilah Sakai* said…
Nice! It really opens up the room.

Ha! Greg is hilarious! Give him a high-five for me.
Oh, that blue thing is like a beloved family member, how can you get rid of it? ;)
A New Yorker said…
You guys are nuts! :)
hitch writer said…
Dont know much bout yu, but from this post... ditto with Lauren... your nuts...

nice new sofa's by the way !!! :)
Kavi said…
LOL !! He does have some sense of humour !! SOME sense of humour !!

And what a neat sofa !
Debbie Y. said…
I have to admit after reading Greg's response, I love him too! What an imagination and a sense of humor and he has great decorating sense too! WOW!
Vikki North said…
That is so funny! Did Greg get a response to his letter?

As an artist, I get quite a few scamsters also. They're usually pretty obvious.

BTW- we had a jewelry artist submit a work for the latest gallery. You have to check it out.

Vikki
GypsiAdventure said…
The new sofa looks lovely and I think definitely adds a 'splash' of color! :) As for greggs respons, he sure is a character! haha
~K
Anonymous said…
Wow! The burgundy is a big improvement! Looks great!:) Those scammers are so silly!
Lindsey said…
Very improved look...I'm so puzzled by the scammer though...what did he think you were going to do?
The Blonde Duck said…
LOL! Love his response!
Brandy said…
The new sofa looks great!
Missicat said…
Very funny!
Love the new sofa - makes quite a difference!
Mari said…
I looove Greg's letter. What was that nut even after?! Very strange.
Girl Tornado said…
Pretty funny stuff... it's always fun to play with telemarketers when they call too! Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier today :)
Van said…
Just droppin' in to visit and noticed the bead society meeting just around the corner from where I used to live on the West Bank - 40 years ago! Small world. BTW - I like the new look in your room.
Love the burgundy ! Supposedly the colour of love and compassion.
Walker said…
I love that couch and id does go better than the blue one.

Sammers, i have had my fill of them lately and one tried to fleece my ex of two months rent if she would send the deposit to Nigeria VIA western union.
nsiyer said…
Feel like sleeping in the couch. Fantastic photos. Your photos bring the true picture out
Heather said…
OH, man that was a funny response!! Your new set is sooo pretty!
Kristi said…
Love the new furniture set - great job on the color, it looks so soft and comfy!

I'm betting Greg doesn't get a real quick response to that! That is hilarious! I love messing with scammers - it's like some kind of sport. Your husband is good at it!
Hippomanic Jen said…
The room looks lovely now. It's amazing what a little furniture change can do.
Heather said…
hahaha! love his response!

you are right that men seem to always want to make the room less feminine. b and i have that problem. he really likes muted tones and i LOVE color! it has been difficult to merge our preferences at times. :)
Glad you got rid of your pet-peeve sofa. I wish we could redo our home as well. And I just loved Greg's wit.
Jennifer said…
OMG that cracked me up!! Greg is HILARIOUS!
Holly said…
You did a fantastic job picking out your new furniture - it looks great!

Sweet Jesus, Greg's letter just cracked me up! I'll forward a few of the ones I've received lately and let him handle the responses! :-)