Married Life


"So, how's married life?" Surprisingly, we've only had a handful of those questions. I guess most people can see it in our eyes and it answers the question before it's asked.


Soon after our return from North Carolina, our home turned into After Wedding Station with gifts and flowers and wedding arches and table cloths and... well, all the things from the wedding.
(Speaking of gifts, of all the ones at my parents' home, only one sender is"unknown." The gift actually had a card attached to it, but no name on the card! The gift ~ pretty wall sconces. We're hoping our parents will ask around, because I'd like to send out a Thank You card.)
Boxes were everywhere at our home, not to mention our suitcases still needed to be unpacked and the laundry was waiting. Oh, the joys of married life.

What we didn't count on was a phone call to our home at 3am the week we returned. It was the alarm company, calling to let me know that the fire detector went off at the office. I've worked for my father since I was 12 years old. The business is family owned and operated and is our livelihood. At 3am, it was the weirdest thing to get a phone call. I couldn't comprehend what the caller was saying and kept thinking, "But I'm in North Carolina, what can I do from here?" At the same time, Greg said he was dreaming about being at the Biltmore Estates in N. Carolina. It didn't register for me until I turned the light on.

Greg was dressed faster than I was. I didn't have to ask if he would come with me. We were together, facing this, whatever it the outcome. I called Dad to let him know about the alarm company and told him we were on our way to the office. What normally would take anywhere from 10-15 minutes to drive, Greg did in 3. We chanced the red lights, after making sure nobody was coming. Greg looked at me and said, "Are you crying?" I replied, "No, I have to see the damage first."

As we pulled into the parking lot, we saw the fire truck, but no smoke. I was out of Greg's vehicle and at the front office door before the firemen could come up to us. I had it unlocked and opened and walked in ~ yes, it was stupid, I should have let the fireman go first, but it was my work, my father's work, the employee's work. I had to be sure everything was Ok.

The fire alarm was tripped in the kitchen. The hot spot water cooler went caput. Maybe it let out some smoke as it fried; it certainly left a bad odor. The fireman used some type of equipment to determine it was the culprit ~ thankfully, it didn't do any damage! Office was safe and sound.


This wasn't the way we wanted to start off our return, but it sure showed me how Greg was by my side in a flash and without questions asked. (Not that I ever questioned this, but it was action in motion. Plenty of people can say stuff, but never follow through when it comes down to a time in need. Greg was there for me, with me, not only in words, but in his actions. Ok, I'm repeating myself, I know, but it holds a lot of meaning...)


Now, to a "good deed" of the week ~ Greg called me at the office and said, "Aleta, don't open the garage door when you come home." Greg came home and saw a man and boy walking. Two dogs (black labs, one was an adult, the other was about half the size, pup) were behind the man. As they walked by our house, the pup ran into the street and a car just missed the dog by inches! Greg called out to the pup and it came to him, then ran into our backyard!

Greg called out to the man, "Your dog is in my backyard." The man replied, "They aren't my dogs. You can have them. They've been following me." And he kept on walking.
I came home to find Greg in the backyard playing with these two dogs, having already given them food and water. They were well behaved dogs and obviously belonged to someone, but they had no tags. The dogs knew commands such as "sit" "lay down" and were sweet natured. (Though Tigger was not up to finding out if they liked cats or not!)

Greg was already underway to make a sign "Found Two Dogs." Not only did he make the sign, but being it was getting dark outside, he put a flood light and a blinking light on the sign to catch the attention of drivers. We hoped the owners would be out and about, looking for their lost family members.

In the meantime, we made plans to put the labs in our office area for the night, because we couldn't leave them outside. We were expecting a light freeze over night. Just as Greg was getting ready to leave and see if there were any "lost dogs" signs in the neighborhood, we heard our door bell. It was the owner. He was able to describe the dogs, what type, the height and when we showed him the dogs, they knew him. The man saw our sign outside and was relieved! We were thrilled to unite owner and pets.

Comments

Dr. Wifey said…
oh, i am so glad your business did not get destroyed by a fire. that is frightening! also glad the dogs were reunited with their owner! kudos to your hubby for putting up lighted signs :) they are cute dogs and i would have been tempted to keep them for myself!
Lilly said…
Gosh so much has ben going for you Aleta. I am glad the business was ok - its frightening to get a call like that in the early hours of the morning though. Greg sounds a lovely and considerate person. Glad the owner found his dogs too.
BIG HUGS to you good people. Glad the family has their dogs back, also glad your office was OK, holy cats!
Hippomanic Jen said…
What drama for your return! So glad no damage was done at the office, and that the dogs got back to their family (although I'm certain they would have been happy with you, given half a chance!)
Nicki said…
what cute dogs!! y'all are so sweet to take such good care of them when they were lost!
♥ Boomer ♥ said…
First, I'm so glad there was no damage at your office!! Whew! You did have me going!!

And what a neat reunion for the dogs and their owner. You are good people! ;-)

Yup ... it all sounds like married life!!
GypsiAdventure said…
whew, you guys sure do lead exciting lives...so much going on since you got back, wow! Glad everything was ok at the office and you found the owners for the dogs...it's great when little things work out just right isn't?!

Hope you have a great weekend!
~K
Helen said…
Wow! Life for the newlyweds just keeps getting more and more exciting!
Walker said…
Action action action what a way to start the marriage.
Out of the box running.
At least you are not in any hot water, at least until you get a new tank that is ;)
Grace said…
Hi Aleta, after reading your love story post, I understand that you are newly wed, I just want to say, "Congratulations!"
Enjoy life together. :)
Margaret said…
I am so glad that your office wasn't on fire.

It sounds like your new married life is going good other than a few distractions.

That is great that the owner found his dogs. I have a soft spot for dogs. I have trouble turning a dog in need down. We have 3 right now, and we only went looking for 1 of them. The other 2 came looking for us.
Ferda said…
the puppies are so sweet! I'm so glad that they were able to be reunited with their owner and that they were fortunate to run into you guys.
A New Yorker said…
You did good Aleta. They tell us single gals to purposely piss off the guy we're with to see how he reacts under pressure. That will tell you the kind of character of the man you are with. You have a good guy!
Brandy said…
Thank goodness the office was okay. I bet that was scary to get woken up like that.

And I love that you guys reunited the dogs with their family!
grace said…
what an exciting life you lead. i go to work, come home, and sleep. no dogs or fires are usually involved in the cycle. :)
Big Girl said…
Glad the fire was really a non fire. That could have been awful.
Joanne Kennedy said…
Wow what excitement you had. Thankfully there wasn't a real fire. But how scary!

I was hoping you got to keep the dogs. It sounds like the two of you would make wonderful puppy parents.

Hugs,
Joanne
Anonymous said…
You guys are the epitomy of what a true partnership really is.

You must have been so scared when you got that call but having Greg there beside you must have been a great comfort and thank goodness it was nothing too serious.

I bet those dog owners were so grateful that such kind people found their dogs before they came to any harm.

Mr and Mrs O'Brien....you rock.
Holly said…
I'm SO glad everything was okay at your office! Owning our own business ourselves, I know how frightening it would be for us to loose everything in a fire or something. It's much different when it is YOUR business you have to worry about, vice just the place you are employeed!

Glad you took care of the dogs AND found their owner! Funny, just last week we had two horses running done the road (in the dark), right towards us. I jumped out of the truck and herded them off the road. Bit difficult calming them down and keeping them in one spot - they were both draft horses - HUGE! But luckily someone else stopped as well and knew who they belonged to, and the police went to track them down because they were out looking for the horses - a few miles away on a totally different road! I had absolute horrible visions of someone hitting them though - and them being a crumpled mass, and having to be destroyed because of a few broken legs from heing hit by a car.
nikkicrumpet said…
So glad your business survived! I hope you find the giver of those beautiful sconces...and I'm so glad you got the dogs back where they belong! You've been BUSY!
Vikki North said…
Well, you see? All good things come to good ends for good people. But, Wow! I bet that did scare you. I can't imagine anything worse than a phone call from the alarm co./fire department.

Greg was SO terrific to rescue those to little furry black guys.
That's exactly how so many pooches end up becoming strays. No one makes the effort and the owner never finds them. Those two pup's- were very lucky to find Greg.

Welcome home married lady.
Vikki
Michelle said…
Wow. That's a lot of info to pack into a post. Congrats on your marriage. I got the "how do you like being married" question a ton and never figured out how to answer it -- kinda like "how does it feel to be 7 now" or 8 or 20 or 30.

So glad to hear the alarm wasn't anything that caused damage. It's definitely not something you ever want, but especially not in your still honeymoon phase.

And thank you so much for visiting my blog yesterday during my SITS day. It was so much fun to see all the comments, and so many had such nice things to say. I hope you enjoyed yourself and come back to visit again soon!
Glad your family business did not get burned down !

The sconces are lovely....

Glad the pups and their owner were reunited !
Glad your family business did not get burned down !

The sconces are lovely....

Glad the pups and their owner were reunited !
Wep said…
Awww the poor puppies :( Glad your dad's office was ok :)
Tabitha Blue said…
This is ALL so sweet! Glad you had a wonderful trip and you were so blessed with great gifts!

So glad your office was safe and wonderful that Greg is so supportive!

What a great gesture with those dogs! I'm sure the owner was so relieved!!

:)
~Tabitha~

freshmommyblog.com
Treasia Stepp said…
Thanks for stopping by my blog. I do hope you visit often.

Let me say congratulations on being a Mrs. now.

Glad to hear the smoke detector did it's job correctly and that nothing was actually on fire.

Your new hubby sounds like a keeper to me.
The Blonde Duck said…
What a wonderful happy ending! The sign worked!
Anonymous said…
All is well that ends well.
Cheers !
nsiyer said…
Wow!, that's great. You having a great time, and a lovely nice, considerate husband.