Wedding Update

Normally we don’t take down the Christmas tree so early, but this year we figured it would be a good idea, so it’s one less thing we have to do coming back from our honeymoon.

Speaking of decorations, but this time regarding wedding frills ~ All of the decorations are at my parents’ home, waiting for the decorating crew to show up. I am taking off of work on Friday and so are some friends, as well as family from out of town. I’m hoping we can get the bulk of it finished that day, leaving a minimal amount to be done the day of.

This week, I’ll make phone calls to the various venders. If you don’t see me posting, you’ll understand why. Ever saw a chicken with its head cut off? That’ll be me in the next couple of days. I figure that’s better than a bridezilla!

Before updating my blog, I asked Greg if I posted a picture, would he not look at it. He agreed that if I put a link on my blog, he wouldn’t click on it.

So, honey, I trust you to keep your word! XOXO

CLICK HERE (NOT you, Greg!)

The picture share is of my future Mom as she’s making alterations on my dress. Granted, the dress is inside out and you can’t get a good idea of what it looks like, but I don’t want Greg to see the color! All he knows is that blue has something to do with it. Hehe.

My soon-to-be Mom, Mary Ann, is very skillful with the sewing machine; I soon learned. I tried on the dress, she put some pins in and before I knew it, she had that over 30 year old Sears sewing machine zinging along. Woah! I was impressed! She shared with me how she started out making clothes for her children, then costumes for the dance classes and even Mardi Gras gowns. It’s no wonder she was able to take my dress in and make alterations with the ease she did. I’ve often said my piano is like a friend. Well, her sewing machine is a friend to her as well. In fact, just recently she had to get a new motor for the machine. I can understand why fixing the one she had was better than anything brand new!

In the picture, you can also see a painting of a sunset. Did I mention that my future Mom is an extremely talented painter? Her paintings have sold and won awards. Every painting in their home was done by her. Pretty amazing stuff!

A couple of other pictures from the link include the Wedding Favors. My friend, Kim, showed me how to create the front of the favor using two card stock colors (royal blue, white). I trimmed the top and bottom with fancy edge scissors and used the Fleur de Lis cutout given to me by Greg a couple of months ago.

There are two different favors. One is a Fleur de Lis cookie cutter and the other is the candy Kim and I made in the shape of Fleur de Lis (we just did this today). Now we know which candy mold is better to use. It wasn’t difficult at all!

So much still left to do, but hey, I found shoes to wear for the wedding day! And truly, this is big for me, because I abhor shoe shopping. Either the stores don’t have my size or the style doesn’t fit or it’s uncomfortable beyond the legalities of being able to sell it or the heel is a trip-me-down-the-aisle height… The day after Christmas, I went to 3 malls and 12 stores and finally found what I was looking for. But I kid you not, as I walked into that 12th store (yes, I counted), I prayed, “Please, God, I need your help. I’m at my wit's end.”

When the saleslady told me the style I held in my hand was sold out, but “there are two other styles that might be similar” I held on to that prayer. She came out with one set, which fit and looked.. nice, sort of every day wear and at this point, I was willing to settle on it. The second pair was fancier and fit! When I put them on, the saleslady said, “Oh, those are for something special. What do you need the shoes for?” I replied, “A wedding.” She looked at me and asked, “Whose wedding?” When I told her it was for my wedding, she responded, “Oh, you must buy these! This will be perfect.” I thought so too and Thanked God!

I could write about the bra experience, but I’ll spare you!

Oh! One quick note ~ I didn’t realize I would be given 2 Author Copies of my book for free. Woo Hoo! Now I can give one to my parents’ and one to Greg’s parents!

Comments

Holly said…
I love your favors - how very nice they are! Can't tell a whole lot about the dress, so I can't wait for pics from the wedding day! I know it's getting close, but it looks like you are getting things all together just fine! That rose is beautiful, by the way!

If you don't get to post beforehand, have a beautiful wedding day, and a wonderful and fun filled honeymoon!
Tabitha Blue said…
How great!!!!! Congrats on your upcoming wedding!!!! It's gonna be great... can't wait to hear about it.. and see pics, of course!!!

:)
~Tabitha~

freshmommyblog.com
Ugich Konitari said…
Aleta,

It is so interesting reading about your wedding preparations, and last minute searches for things. And you seem to be super blessed with a great Mom-in-law... I wish you and Greg a wonderful life together, and look forward to seeing your wedding pictures when you get back to blogging.....
Constance said…
I think you are going to end up with an absolutely beautfiul dress Aleta - and a groom who knows you look beautiful in it :)
Lilly said…
Oh Aleta how exciting this week is going to be for you. I wish you and Greg all the best for your wedding day and your life together. Your dress looks amazing - the colour that is. Everything sounds as if it is coming together beautifully on top of your book publication too!!

Please focus on you and your wedding and just have fun. Forget blogging we will be here waiting to see your pics when you are back and ready to post them.

You and Greg clearly love each other dearly and your marriage is going to be everything and more that you could wish for. Be happy and enjoy every second including the last minute preparations..
Heather said…
oh my gosh! i can't believe it is so close!

my advice to you is to just enjoy everything! if small things happen the day of, take it in stride, as it will be something to laugh about in the future. take some time for you and your new hubby to enjoy the time...dance together and talk with each other...it goes so fast and so often the bride and groom get caught up in catching up with people that they forget to stop and take in the moment.

have fun!! :)
Dr. Wifey said…
congrats on the wedding! i know how excited yet busy you are. have a wonderful time with it all!
GypsiAdventure said…
Oh I'm so excied for you...can't wait to see the finished product - I bet you will look lovely!
~K
Congrats to you both!!!!
Anonymous said…
Hi,
Just came across your blog by accident ,I plan on moving to new orleans soon,love your fleur de lis stuff,when is your wedding it sounds like it is very soon.Good luck
Pattie
Anonymous said…
Honey, NO I didnt look at the link of the dress pic...but... that story sounded like a Silver Slipper story I once say in a Disney film... LOL


Love you.
Aleta said…
Hi Holly ~ The dress is very simple, not a lot of fluff or fuss or fancy lace. But I love the color and oh ~ my "special" project was making the wedding necklace. It took me 2 weeks to make the necklace, working every spare second (including coming home for lunch to work on it) and into the late hours.

Hi Tabitha ~ Everyone keeps asking me if I'm nervous. Not really... but I do feel as though I don't have a good grip on everything that needs to be done.

Hi Ugich Konitari ~ Yes, I really am blessed! When bloggers have asked if Greg was "for real" ~ if they met his family, they'd know how he is the person that he is. Very loving family!

Hi Annie ~ Aww, thank you. As long as I'm beautiful in Greg's eyes, that's all I need.

Hi Lilly ~ You always make me smile! I wish I could post a picture of the necklace I made. I wouldn't even let Greg take a look at it. He works on the other side of the pegboard, so he couldn't see anything. Mom is the only one to see the necklace; she said, "It makes it all come together." So, your words are very true, it is coming together beautifully.

Hi Wolf ~ It's *whispers* THIS WEEKEND!!! *giddy laughter* I'm going to treasure each second and I'll laugh when something doesn't go right. I'm already imagining getting rain and the tent falling down! I hope someone videos whatever happens. Lol

Hi Dr. Wifey ~ Thank you!

Hi Kel ~ I think I have everything ready for the dress. I definitely have the "something blue" and "something new".. and I do have the "something borrowed" (it's the tiara comb that my sister-in-law used for her wedding, she's letting me borrow her's)... and that could also be "something old" (not like it's really old, but it's not brand new 4 months later, so I think I can squeek by with that). Mom insists that I put a lucky penny in my shoe (not thrilled about the idea)..

Hi Pattie ~ New Orleans is a lovely place, still rich with culture and if anything, since Katrina, we appreciate it all the more. Our wedding date is Jan 3rd!

Hi Honey ~ Thank you for not looking at the pictures. XOXO Lol - I didn't even think about the Silver Slipper story. Ah well, what can I say? I guess it's a Disney dream, sort of goes with the Christmas gift you gave (a Mickey and Minnie in wedding garb). :)
The Blonde Duck said…
That's so exciting! I can't wait to hear more about your wedding.
Kavi said…
This is so wonderful. It would have been a treat to see the wedding. But i am sure you would write about it too...so, look forward to reading all of it and more !

Your family seems perfect and adorable. And i guess you deserve the very best life has to offer !!

All the best and many congratulations
Big Girl said…
I'm sure everything will go spledidly. Just enjoy every single moment of your wedding. I can't wait to see all the pics and hear about your big day. Congratulations!
larkswing said…
How exciting! Enjoy this time - can't wait to see all the pics next month :)
A New Yorker said…
I'm so happy for you!
Walker said…
Now hold on, you can't say bra experience and just leave it at that.
I'm a guy and now i need to know.
Greg help me out here LOL

I am a procrastinator, my decorations would be up for awhile, Halloween decorations if I could get away with it.
Just use the Nightmare before Christmas angle.

I bet you're getting more and more excited as the time gets closer to the big day.
Anonymous said…
I just came by to wish you and Greg a Happy New Year and what a year I'm sure it's going to be. I just like to come here to bask in your happiness for a wee while. You guys are the epitomy of true love.
nikkicrumpet said…
YAY you found your shoes...and it's so great that Greg's mom is such a wonderful seamstress. Good luck with all the preparations...you're going to be VERY busy. And I can't wait to see all the pictures!!! Happy New Year..may it be the best year ever for you and your soon to be hubby!
Beverly Herman said…
Aleta your wedding was perfect. You and Greg had a glow of love surrounding you. Thank you for letting me be there to share your beautiful day with you.